Back to The R Programming Environment

Learner Reviews & Feedback for The R Programming Environment by Johns Hopkins University

4.4

This course provides a rigorous introduction to the R programming language, with a particular focus on using R for software development in a data science setting. Whether you are part of a data science team or working individually within a community of developers, this course will give you the knowledge of R needed to make useful contributions in those settings. As the first course in the Specialization, the course provides the essential foundation of R needed for the following courses. We cover basic R concepts and language fundamentals, key concepts like tidy data and related "tidyverse" tools, processing and manipulation of complex and large datasets, handling textual data, and basic data science tasks. Upon completing this course, learners will have fluency at the R console and will be able to create tidy datasets from a wide range of possible data sources....

MV
Dec 25, 2018

Very Very Rigorous Course for a beginner on R language and because of its nature, after completing just one course, I feel like I have gained a lot of knowledge and also familiarity with R language.

KV
Jun 17, 2019

A very good course to read and get the valuable content of R language. This is for the students who want to learn and practice the basic and some intermediate concepts of data manipulation.

276 - 289 of 289 Reviews for The R Programming Environment

By Savvas S

Aug 28, 2017

just links to a webpage... no support from the mentors no support form coursera... you can use your money more wisely..

By Glendronach 3

Aug 7, 2020

The R Programming Environment is very buggy. Please tidy up the errors and make it more user-friendly.

By Alexander H

May 15, 2018

Felt lost during the final, the course was not well suited to the end quiz

By Arthur G

Jun 14, 2017

Too basic.

By Enrique A M

Oct 10, 2020

exelente

By George Z

Apr 2, 2020

The content is great. Unfortunately the grading system is not functioning which means that one can't continue to the next step. I will be dropping out for this reason. I hope they fix it but it doesn't work now. Technical support was pleasant but not helpful. Based on the discussion forum, numerous other students felt the same way. If they fix it, I will sign up again, but right now I have to caution against it.

By Lakin R

Mar 13, 2020

The material of this course is useful. However, the swirl course that accompanies it is plagued with issues that date back YEARS (there are posts on GitHub and the course's discussion board from 3+ years ago with the same unresolved or barely patched issues. If I hadn't already been reimbursed for this course by my employer, I would've given up on day one.

By ulrik p

Jun 19, 2020

If you are on Mac chances are that can't complete this course without some major hacking. There is a 3 year old bug (as of june '20) in the swirl package the course uses that still hasn't been fixed. Comments section is littered with people who gave up on completing it and nothing is being done. Not cool at all.

By Robert L

Dec 1, 2019

I had to drop out because of technical issues. A week 2 issue that is documented in the bulletin board had no clear resolution. After several months of trying to figure out the issue for weeks, I determined that the course wasn't worth extra time and money being spent.

By Jorge D S G

Aug 5, 2020

The course doesn't prepare us well for the final exam. The expectations are too high for what is teached. I had to learn a lot by myself to complete it, which is not what I expect when I do a course. I don't recommend it to anyone.

By Brandon R

Aug 4, 2020

You cannot complete one of the course assignments because swirl has a bug that prevents you from completing it. The bug has existed for years and has not been fixed.

By Christopher M P

Feb 10, 2020

Final assignment may not be reviewed for weeks. If you go on to capstone, issue could extent into months. Expect to use many external resources.

By João G C

Jun 1, 2020

The classes are not super clear, and there really isn't much support for learners facing bugs.

By JEFFIN S

Sep 28, 2020

lots of problem with swirl use unable to complete