Back to R Programming

Learner Reviews & Feedback for R Programming by Johns Hopkins University

In this course you will learn how to program in R and how to use R for effective data analysis. You will learn how to install and configure software necessary for a statistical programming environment and describe generic programming language concepts as they are implemented in a high-level statistical language. The course covers practical issues in statistical computing which includes programming in R, reading data into R, accessing R packages, writing R functions, debugging, profiling R code, and organizing and commenting R code. Topics in statistical data analysis will provide working examples....

WH

Feb 2, 2016

"R Programming" forces you to dive in deep.\n\nThese skills serve as a strong basis for the rest of the data science specialization.\n\nMaterial is in depth, but presented clearly. Highly recommended!

JM

Aug 11, 2019

Very challenging, but good course. I've been programming in R for over a year, but there were still some things for me to pick up in this class. Assignments were a challenge, but satisfying to tackle.

4376 - 4400 of 4,587 Reviews for R Programming

By Kumar A

Dec 7, 2016

Not good for people who would like to learn from basics.

By Liam D

Mar 24, 2016

Disorganized course materials. Gaps in the materials.

By Carlos L V S

Oct 27, 2021

Too basic instructions and complex applied functions

By Rochelle A

Jul 28, 2017

Not really impressed with these courses so far...

By an a

programme structure is hard, teaching way is old

By Ivan S

Apr 28, 2020

Assignments are too hard comparing to lessons

By Eda S

Jun 22, 2016

Morely designed on slideshows, not effective.

By Shyam D

Jun 27, 2019

exercises given don't follow the course line

By Patricia T

Apr 1, 2016

This course is very difficult for beginners.

By Rebecca P

Jun 27, 2016

This course is not very "beginner friendly"

By ahmed h

Aug 22, 2016

it's so hard for beginners in my opinion

By Taylor L

Jul 25, 2017

Pretty advanced and little guidance.

By Leo U

Feb 24, 2016

Peng is incomprehensible. I give up.

By Ángela D C

Jul 28, 2018

This is not beginner R Programming.

By Mingxun L

Jul 4, 2020

Assignments were way too difficult

By Sai T D

Jun 14, 2020

Instructor is not so satisfactory

By Sunil V

Dec 1, 2017

Need to cover basics of OOP more

By KAYDAN P R

Jul 7, 2020

final assessment was though

By Ankit K A

Nov 5, 2018

Not what i was looking for

By Asif B S

Aug 25, 2019

very old material.

By Abhay S

Jun 13, 2020

I really cannot recommend this course for lack of its structure but as I have decided to do the specialization now I cannot stop. Quizzes are good and test the depth of concepts we understood in lectures but programming assignment fails everything. It feels like lectures are made by a person and assignments by a completely new person with a lack of communication. A strong suggestion from being new to programming is that consider the lectures as per the assignments you have made. Programs required to complete the assignments include functions that have not been covered in the lectures nor have they been provided in any supplemental or suggested reading. Assignments are mean to implement what we have learned in the lectures and readings. But the codes required to complete the assignments either have not been taught or mentioned with good references. People with prior programming experience can adapt to it but me being new to it struggled a lot. Especially on week 3 and week 4 programs. I literally had to do filter and sort data in excel to be able to answer some questions in the programming assignments. Please refer course on "Strategic Leadership and Management" by the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign in Coursera. There is such an amazing interrelation among assignments and teaching that it makes you want to go further and also try to read or work around more. Please first consider the assignment you want students to complete and then design the lectures. For the week 3 program, I learned after lots of googles to use the argument 'pattern' in the read.csv function. It's really frustrating to solve those programs without a proper understanding of functions. I hope you make the changes as after completing this course even we can utilize it.

Thank you for your efforts.

By Melissa P

Aug 3, 2017

I would not recommend this course to anyone. I enrolled in this course because I am familiar with statistical analysis and wanted to become more adept at using R, and this course was very disappointing.

The lecture material and practice assignments in Swirl are nice, but they leave you totally unprepared to complete the quizzes and assignments. There is a massive leap in difficulty from the practice assignments and lectures to the quizzes and programming assignments. Going back over the lectures, practice assignments, and textbook will provide only minor assistance for assignments - there is not enough information to complete the assignment.

Because the course resources are inadequate, students must spend hours Googling and troubleshooting in order to finish assignments. An article posted on the course discussion board claims that this is due to the creators wanting to instill a "hacker mentality" in students, so they will work to find the answers themselves.

While I agree that students should not be spoon-fed the answers, this is a course that charges an admission fee. I took this course because I was looking for resources to learn - if I wanted to spend hours searching random corners of the internet for the answers to R programming questions, I could've done that on my own time at no charge. I feel like I took a basic anatomy course and the first test required me to safely remove someone's appendix.

In short, do not take this class.

By Ertan Y

Jun 7, 2016

If you are planning to learn R, then go and buy a book. This course is a complete scam. At least don't pay any money. The reasons;

1.) They advertise that you need couple of hours of study per week. That's a lie, you have to study much more than that unless if you know a little R programming.

2.) The quiz questions are totally unrelated from the lessons. They teach you the basic stuff but they expect you to accomplish intermediate quizzes.

3.) The instructor has no idea how to teach. May be he is trying to prove something. I couldn't really understand his motives. If you really want to teach that's simple. You do couple of extra videos and teach whatever you are asking in quizzes, or tell us to read a certain material. He didn't do any of them which means he either doesn't know how to teach or this specialization is a complete scam.

4.) And I don't really understand what coursera is doing by the way? What kind of a business model is this. I was planning to enroll many specializations but now I am not going to do it. So think about how much they are loosing. Where is the quality assurance. Just because one guy comes up to you and say that he teaches this and that do you believe them?

MY ADVICE TO YOU: DON'T PAY ANYTHING FOR THIS SPECIALIZATION. AND FOR ANY OTHER COURSE READ THE BAD REVIEWS FIRST (WHICH WAS MY MISTAKE).