Back to R Programming

Learner Reviews & Feedback for R Programming by Johns Hopkins University

In this course you will learn how to program in R and how to use R for effective data analysis. You will learn how to install and configure software necessary for a statistical programming environment and describe generic programming language concepts as they are implemented in a high-level statistical language. The course covers practical issues in statistical computing which includes programming in R, reading data into R, accessing R packages, writing R functions, debugging, profiling R code, and organizing and commenting R code. Topics in statistical data analysis will provide working examples....

JM
Aug 11, 2019

Very challenging, but good course. I've been programming in R for over a year, but there were still some things for me to pick up in this class. Assignments were a challenge, but satisfying to tackle.

EJ
Jul 11, 2016

Excellent course! I already knew a lot about R - but this class helped me solidify what I already knew, taught me lots of new tricks, and now I have a certificate that says I know `something' about R!

4051 - 4075 of 4,347 Reviews for R Programming

By Han L

May 14, 2018

The programming assignments are way above the information given in the lecture. Extremely difficult to do for people have no previous experience with programming. Swirl is probably the most helpful element in this entire course regarding learning R.

By Ravindra S N

Aug 17, 2019

I didn't like it. Inspite of having done some courses on coursera(like Machine Learning from Stanford, SAS Programming from SAS) and edx (Python, R), many things went above my head. So I have decided not to pursue this Data Science Course further.

By Marie C N

Oct 26, 2020

The course assignments were very hard for me as a beginner in using R and without a background in coding. The swirl exercises are good but they don't really help with the assignments. I had to rely on a data scientist friend to learn what to do.

By RODRIGO S P J

Aug 13, 2019

The course content was good. However, assignments were complex and not very much linked to the rest of the content. Alhough it wasn't said in the beggining, I believe previous knouledge on programming or on R itself is needed for this course

By Beverly U

Apr 24, 2016

The lectures did not prepare for quizzes/assignments. Not a class for beginners.

It would be better if he used R while lecturing instead of just talking through the whole lecture.

I got more out of the swirl tutorials than I did the lectures.

By Sara F O

May 14, 2020

Firstly the videos and the swirl practice were very good and I leart a lot from them. However, the assignments were very difficult. There is a huge gab beetwen the content of the course and the assigments. This course is not for beginners.

By Andrew C

Sep 20, 2016

Better than the Data Scientist's toolbox, but not a great introduction to R. When I'm learning a new language, I don't want to know about data types and for loops. A detailed example showing the strengths of this language would be better.

By Prasanjeit B

Sep 24, 2018

The quiz were far advance than the material and somewhat disjoint from the topics.The overall lecture is good but not sufficient for learning R, Week 3 and some parts of week 1 could have been explained far more better than it was done

By Josh D

Jun 29, 2017

Far too quickly moves from basics of R to advanced statistical programming. Needs better build up of skills. Swirl was useful, as the videos were essentially unhelpful. Many other better resources on introducing the content elsewhere.

By Alexander S

Jan 27, 2021

The videos are not very engaging and the exercises demand skills way beyond the ones you can develop by simply following the course videos and swirl exercises. 2 stars because the challenges were engaging and based on real world data

By Jonathan T

Aug 20, 2018

Assignment is way too hard without any guidance - course as mentioned in their earlier lectures are meant to go online and ask. Even so, there is no way for beginners like us to understand what our questions should pinpoint to.

By Sirimedho S D L

Feb 21, 2016

Too short, too simple, too theoretic.

I found of little interest the slides, partially interesting the swirl exercise, interesting the programming assignment.

I would like to have a longer course with more practical examples.

By Shao Y

Jun 8, 2017

the course is absolutely not for beginner who has little knowledge of R even they are interested in data science specialization... this should be made clear to avoid waste of time, efforts and budget.. not worth subscription

By Scott T

Feb 14, 2016

Very disjointed and no clear progression. While it teaches the basic syntactic rules well enough, the functionality of R is explored in an ad hoc manner where the assignments have little to no relation to the week's lecture.

By Siddharth G

Jun 13, 2020

The assignments are way too difficult in comparison to what has been taught, the instructor already assumes we are from a CS background.

1 extra star just for swirl exercises, they were highly interactive and informative

By Mohamed A

Jan 9, 2021

it was a really difficult and un-informative experience, I didn't get any useful info through the lectures or reading notes. and the assignment were super hard to get through. my worst choice for a data science course.

By Rui P

Jan 18, 2017

It is just not a good course for a beginner, especially the assignment 2 is hard to understand. And hope this course can add a little bit material on statistical programming or machine learning session in the future.

By Ester C P

Jun 14, 2016

There is not much of a relation between what the course gives (explains with the videos and with the SWIRL exercises) and the real exercices they ask to. Too difficult to follow by people new in the programming area.

By Kalyanraman V

Sep 8, 2017

The assignments were extremely difficult and there was not much of help directly from the videos or lecture material to learn and do smaller programming assignments that could be used when doing bigger assignments.

By Sangras S S

Aug 7, 2020

A huge lag between what is being taught, the swirl lessons, and the programming assignments. I'd definitely not recommend this course, unless and until you're already well versed with most of the functions in R.

By prajna u

Sep 7, 2020

The lessons were easy to understand. However, there is a huge gap between assignments and lesson videos. I personally believe it is not possible to do the assignments with the help of lectures and notes alone.

By Alqua

Swirl is good. lecture are awful. Does not teach the necessary knowledge to be able to pass the assignments. The assignments feels real and the knowledge you need to learn somewhere else to pass is useful.

By Mark D

Oct 4, 2016

I don't think the course is setup for a beginner or a person who has never used R...very frustrated with needing to search the internet for help on everything that the course is supposed to be teaching me.

By Pavan K

Apr 19, 2021

I don't feel good about this course. Please restructure it and teach it more incrementally, especially about loops, and extraction. The Assignment Instructions for the final week were not easily apparent.

By Justin C

May 8, 2020

Impossible leap of difficulty between assignments (especially Week 2) and lecture material. Poorly designed and in serious lack of guidance. However, the quizzes help consolidate knowledge from lectures.