Back to R Programming

Learner Reviews & Feedback for R Programming by Johns Hopkins University

In this course you will learn how to program in R and how to use R for effective data analysis. You will learn how to install and configure software necessary for a statistical programming environment and describe generic programming language concepts as they are implemented in a high-level statistical language. The course covers practical issues in statistical computing which includes programming in R, reading data into R, accessing R packages, writing R functions, debugging, profiling R code, and organizing and commenting R code. Topics in statistical data analysis will provide working examples....

WH
Feb 2, 2016

"R Programming" forces you to dive in deep.\n\nThese skills serve as a strong basis for the rest of the data science specialization.\n\nMaterial is in depth, but presented clearly. Highly recommended!

EJ
Jul 11, 2016

Excellent course! I already knew a lot about R - but this class helped me solidify what I already knew, taught me lots of new tricks, and now I have a certificate that says I know `something' about R!

151 - 175 of 4,146 Reviews for R Programming

By Shyamsunder G

Apr 26, 2020

This was a great course in the sense that it helped me in getting a feel of R. I can deal with dataframes, loops,etc with a certain level of confidence. The assignments are challenging. I know that I am far from perfecting the art of dealing with various objects in R but I can say with confidence that I have grasped all the basic tenets of R (which have been taught in this course)

By Yan Z

Nov 14, 2017

It's really helpful for me. without any coding experience, it is difficult for me. When try to finish the projects, the logic of coding is simple, I sent most time is debug. I made so many mistakes.

overall, it is really a good start course. The forum is very helpful. Now when I have problem, forum is the first place I go to find answer, then google it. Thank you professors!

By Aleksandra F

Nov 9, 2017

It is a great course. Smn says taking this course requires programming experience, but I would say it rather requires thinking, patience and sometimes googling =). Practice problems are difficult enough to understand the basics of programming. Lectures are shot, but I personally spent up to 20 hours for completing week assignment. I believe this right approach to education.

By Oscar J C C

Feb 2, 2016

While this course advances at a fast pace, and Week 1 fits the needs of beginners, Week 2 is intermediate. It took me 9 months to be able to complete Week 2's assignments!

Still, the course is quite good as a measure of progress for beginner-intermediate R programmers, and it helped me a lot in my way to Data Science. I'm sure coming back to pay for the whole certification.

By Anas S

Beware that you will need to study hard for this one: this is one of the most interesting yet challenging courses I have ever been part of, the professor puts you on track and you do the rest, which is difficult but very rewarding. If you are interested in a language that could visually represent data and do various kinds of statistical analysis on.... R is your way to go

By Ben M

Jul 9, 2019

Excellent lectures. Very good format. Some materials could have used more explanation or guidance from text. In the end there was a lot of internet searching required, though this is probably realistic in most situations. The text book that the professor writes is probably very useful for the course, and I wish I would have read it along with the rest of the material.

By Tan N N

Aug 19, 2017

I know programming but I'm completely new to R programming. I think this course is very useful, since it covers not just R programming itself but somewhat about the programming principle. The assignment is quite challenging for me, but I make it through with the discussion in the forum. Really like the pokemon example of the instructor, it helps me finish my assignment.

By mephistoran

Aug 13, 2018

Nice course! I learned much from it. However, the knowledge sometimes didn't meet the need of student, especially in Assignment 1&3, which took me much effort and time to figure out the solution. Perhaps, professor can upload some video about the Assignment because many students, as me, would be thrilled and eager to see a explanations and deduction from the professor.

By Hung P

I knew very little about base R when I started. This course taught me all the basic, core concepts (especially scoping, which is really important in helping me write functions). Problems are challenging but so rewarding in the sense that you will learn a lot in order to come up with the correct solution. Love the course. (Spent 1 week on and off to finish the course)

By SHRIRANG M G

Jul 15, 2017

The course is excellent, but it takes more time than I realized (at least for someone like me who is completely new to R). It took me up to 15 hours a week to understand the content well and complete assignments - which was more that I had anticipated. I had to make dozens of last-minute schedule changes to make more time for this course just so I could complete it

By Kolluru K S

Mar 6, 2016

Awesome! It's a well-designed course for a beginner. The quizes and assignments ensured that I took an effort to browse and learn a couple of concepts in depth. Swirl exercises gave me a better understanding of what I've learnt from the vedio lectures. All in all, at the end of one month, you'll know all quick and dirty tricks to deal with huge datasets. Thank you!

By Lourdes S

Apr 8, 2020

This is a very usefull course where you learn many tools. There is a large volume of information, which in principle can be overwhelming, but which with the exercises are understood. The activity of correcting the work of others classmates allowed a much better understanding of what was learned. I hope have the oportunity to do other courses. Thanks Coursera Team.

By Emmet C

Jul 8, 2017

This course is very difficult if you're new to programming and data science, as I was. However it will reward perseverance with practical R skills you can put to use straight away. I'm half way through the specialization and I've already managed to get a job as a data analyst -- in no small part because of the material I learned on this course. Highly recommended.

By BALSHER S

Nov 19, 2016

Good for beginner, but also very useful if you familiar with R but need hand on practical experience with the language. As my instructor would say at the University, you gonna need practice, and here is where you can start to focus on structured assignments with clear result need for each assignment. Complete the assignment and you will advance your skills in R.

By James A

May 4, 2020

This program is well structured and provides lots of examples with detailed steps to learning the course material. The swirl assignments were very helpful in getting you oriented and giving you a broader understanding to the program.

I will encourage everyone who want to take this course to do so. There is a lot of help provided again on the discussion platform.

By Amanuel G

Nov 1, 2016

It was a wonderful experience and really exiting working through the extracting and manipulating of data from files and data frames.This course had been a wonderful guide to words this amazing Data science technique.But i would appreciate if you could leave learners with plenty of real problem questions to deal with after the completion of this course.Thank You!

By Anupam A

Jul 10, 2018

This course was intense and I learnt a lot in the 4 weeks. THe programming assignments are the ones that teach you the most. I spent double the time doing an assignment than what I spent in watching the videos and learning from the internet. Swirl sets you up to deal with bigger problems. Do take this course if you want to learn R in a very structured manner.

By Ioannis K

May 28, 2017

Learned R programming for the first time through this course, with only some prior knowledge on the structure of programs in general (pseudocoding). I found this course so useful and learnt so many things. The programming assignments are challenging yet designed in a way that teaches you new techniques and pushes your limits.

I highly recommend this course!

By Alessandro V

Apr 29, 2020

I found the video explanations sometimes not enough precise especially regarding the lexical and dynamic scope, however the assignment and the exercises have been for me very useful to gain all competences I was looking for. I really appreciated the combination of exercises and assignments, even if not really easy, but really useful to learn R programming.

By Mario A C A

Jul 8, 2020

I think it would be better if everything you ask in the assignment tasks were alredy cover by the course. i found myself in the need to search and investigate somewhere else (wich is kind of good sometimes) to now how to solve the problem. My issue is that the difficulty lvl for the tasks were too high in comparation with the things learned in the course

By Chinmay P

Nov 18, 2017

The course is awesome and great to get you hands on with R programming. The course focuses on various aspects of R programming and what I think most important is it teaches you to write functions is R which is the key to accomplish significant projects using R. Thanks to Dr Roger D. Peng, Dr Jeff Leek, & Dr Brian Caffo, for creating such useful course. :)

By Jose A R N

Jan 20, 2017

My name is Jose Antonio. I am looking for a new Data Scientist career ( https://www.linkedin.com/in/joseantonio11)

I did this course to get new knowledge about Data Science and better understand the technology and your practical applications.

The course was excellent and the classes well taught by the Teachers.

Congratulations to Coursera team and Teachers

By James G H

Nov 14, 2017

R isn't easy to get familiar with ... spoken by a C++, Java, Python engineer. This course was effective at introducing the essentials of R for inputing, manipulating, presenting, along with a basic IDE and debugging/profiling toolset. I am still wondering when python/R is the better platform ... but presently believe I'm far better off knowing both.

By Jose C

Jan 2, 2017

Very good. Even though that it is not completely required to know statistics for this course, I would suggest putting in the requirements something like "basic statistics". For example, I don't need to know about the Poisson distribution in order to apply its function, but at least I might want to know why is it useful to apply those kind of functions.

By Nino P

May 24, 2019

Great course for anyone who wants to learn R! I had no prior experience in R and it helped me to start and learn basics. After this specialization I really feel confortable working in R. I would not recommend this course to someone with good knowledge in R since you will be bored, but for every begginer it's a must do. This specialization is amazing!