Back to Understanding Research Methods

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Understanding Research Methods by University of London

This MOOC is about demystifying research and research methods. It will outline the fundamentals of doing research, aimed primarily, but not exclusively, at the postgraduate level. It places the student experience at the centre of our endeavours by engaging learners in a range of robust and challenging discussions and exercises befitting SOAS, University of London's status as a research-intensive university and its rich research heritage. The course will appeal to those of you who require an understanding of research approaches and skills, and importantly an ability to deploy them in your studies or in your professional lives. In particular, this course will aid those of you who have to conduct research as part of your postgraduate studies but do not perhaps have access to research methods courses, or for those of you who feel you would like additional support for self-improvement. No prior knowledge or experience in research is required to take this course and as such, the course is for everyone. This MOOC draws on a wealth of existing course material developed to support research training across SOAS, University of London and particularly drawing from the Centre for International Studies and Diplomacy (CISD). In 2015, the course was nominated for the prestigious Guardian University Award for its innovative approach to online learning. Participation in or completion of this online course will not confer academic credit for University of London programmes...

AG

Jul 27, 2017

This is wonderful course especially for research scholars, one suggestion is instead of giving articles from books, please provide a PPT which will be more effective ! thank you for wonderful session.

AB

Sep 10, 2019

very good course. The last e-activity was proposal preparation. It will be good if they add something about sampling in reading materials. Very good experience for me.....I will recommend this course

51 - 75 of 1,125 Reviews for Understanding Research Methods

By Turky S A

To be honest, when I heard about this course I said to my self what can I get from it? I have been studied research method before, but after I listened to the videos and read the documents, I realised that, there are lots of knowledge that I really want to study it more and more. I recommend this course for all students. It is really helpful.

By Namrata J

May 01, 2020

In general, many consider the literature review to be a less important and time-consuming activity. The course helps in understanding the importance of reviewing the literature ....it is the foundation of success for any research activity. Thanks to Simon, Yen and Dr. Sandra. Their explanations helped me in understanding the concepts better.

By Paritosh D

Feb 04, 2018

A course which is highly recommended for people who would like a short, primer type, introduction to research. The videos were short, simple and at the same time very informative. People, especially beginning researchers, think research is all about statistics. this is not the case and this course will orient you in the right direction.

By Anurag B

Really well explained and well crafted course. Many things to learn in fact with reference to the knowledge of how to conduct literature review and selection of research methods band research design. I have gained some great experiences while undergoing the course. Thank you again. Will look forward for more courses in near future.

By Shyam K

May 03, 2020

"Understanding Research Methods" is one of the best course in Coursera. I would like to thank to the University of London and Coursera for providing me this great opportunity to upgrade & enhance my Knowledge in research area. All the topics are well presented and explained. From all the videos and assignments I have learnt a lot.

By Srey U

Jan 05, 2018

Research is the systematic process of collecting and analysing information in order to increase our understanding of the phenomenon with which we are concerned or intersted .

Research must be systrmatic -it follows certain steps that are logical order

Understanding the nature of problems to be studied and idenntifying the relatesd

By Dr.Debasmita M

Jul 09, 2020

An excellent course for understanding what research is and what are the steps taken to undergo any kind of research,how to choose a topic of research and most importantly, the utility of a research.It also aims on the quality of research,different approaches and how should it be presented in writing properly to convince others.

By ASHWINI S

Jul 09, 2020

It good and helpful to what is e_ tivity and then how to work useful for we need a special skill then we use to now how to work it first we make use the video the we object it then we finished it very will we should no what use this and it many times very to students and their can make use of it is are to knowledge are education

By Abdul J

Jul 20, 2020

This course helped me a lot to get the correct insight of what research methodology is, how to pose a research question and hot to know to be a good researcher. It was pleasant to listen top notch exemplars and to learn them from their experiences. The activities were also beneficial to flourish in writing and assessing skills.

By Francisco G H R

Dec 07, 2017

If you are not sure on how to start your research proposal, this is your first stop. Short, concise videos, precice, good readings and quick feedback response. I only wish it was longer and covered each unit of the proposed book weekly. It cleared many doubts and I feel confident to keep learning about this topic on my own.

By Pravin B

May 23, 2020

Best Course !!. Well detail about research work has given, Best course for students in science I would like to give suggestion that one module should be for literature review and citation of the problem, So, students can understand more details about importance of literature survey and how they can summarizing literature .

By Nurlan J

Sep 11, 2018

The course was nicely designed and helped me to explore new perspectives and expand my questioning skills to master them. Moreover, it provided valuable real-life experiences and advices from senior scholars which improved the practicality of the course.

Thank you for everything, dear University of London and the Team!

By María L E

Jan 22, 2016

Muy buen curso. Estructurado y metódico. Imperdible para los que queremos incursionar en la investigación.

Lástima que el curso diga que tiene subtítulos en español, pero en realidad no los tenga. Gracias por no tener límites de tiempo estrictos ,para los que no hablamos inglés y nos demoramos un poco más es excelente

By J R G

Jul 31, 2020

It was a really good experience,the course "understanding research methods" 'fulfilled' what it exactly' meant to be, with the support of the instructors,chapters and further readings.The systematic procedures,the methods, in-depth research.I would recommend to those who are serious and ongoing with their research.

By Zubiri J H G

Mar 20, 2019

Este curso me ha permitido desarrollarme como un futuro investigador, haciendo posible que pudiera considerar factores como el tiempo de empleo de investigación, la búsqueda concreta y correcta de fuente bibliográfica y sobre todo saber como realizar u na buena investigación, por lo tanto lo recomiendo ampliamente.

By Kenneth N B A

Nov 18, 2019

This course has given me so much to think about. It allowed me to assess myself, whether or not I'm ready to conduct my own research and if I have the necessary skills needed to properly conduct one. I'm so thankful for this course because it gave me the missing pieces of information I need in my research study.

By Aggelos K

Apr 16, 2020

The tips and answers I got to my questions through this course are just ideal. I would like to thank the instructors.

It would be truly helpful and interesting to see such an online course for Research Methods in Natural and Life Sciences in the future!

I would love to attend such a course also.

Thank you!

By Tasfia T R

May 08, 2020

aw, I loved the course curriculum and its decorative aspects. helped me a lot to gain a piece of knowledge about research and research mythology. I would recommend this course who are interested or feeling enthusiastic to do know about the research proposals and want to make some of their own research.

By Jomar B A

Apr 12, 2020

Big thanks!

The videos and readings are very informative. The assessments are highly appropriate and responsive to the needs of the course takers.

The peer review process builds confidence among students and facilitates immediate feedbacking. This I believe is one of the best features of the course.

By Jamilah D

Jun 10, 2019

Thank you so much for this course. I spend time with the best researchers. When I hear the discussion I enjoy it because it was extremely useful for me. Faintly , I want to shear my proposal to get a feedback and criticism because I would to improve and enhance my researcher skills. Thanks again..

By Keith D

Aug 28, 2016

Very thought provoking course. The online content was well presented, and the supporting reading was highly quality, relevant material that expanded my knowledge on this subject and I am sure it will be really helpful in improving my future research projects and planning. Highly recommended.

By Priyankar

Aug 01, 2020

I found this course to be very pragmatic as a beginner researcher. The instructors touch upon very crucial and core elements of research that is applicable across disciplines. A conventional understanding of this course can make a difference between conducting 'research' and 'good research'.

By Khanysa E M

Apr 19, 2020

The course is very simply organised and taught, and easy to follow independently of having any experience with research methods. The course is practical which really helps to get an idea of the 1st phases of the research process: defining your research question and doing a literature review.

By Jessica F S

Jul 10, 2020

I loved this course! I recommend it to everyone who is working with research or plan to do so in the future. I enjoyed the reading material and I believe the videos were simple to understand and insightful at the same time. It enabled me to see the research process with a deeper purpose.

By PARTH D

Apr 06, 2019

Thanks a lot. entire team had made great amount of efforts to make this course so much easy to understand. so many things we can learnt and have clear view about research, literature review, research approach and design etc. Once again Thanks to coursera and university of london. Thanks.