Back to Understanding Research Methods

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Understanding Research Methods by University of London

This MOOC is about demystifying research and research methods. It will outline the fundamentals of doing research, aimed primarily, but not exclusively, at the postgraduate level. It places the student experience at the centre of our endeavours by engaging learners in a range of robust and challenging discussions and exercises befitting SOAS, University of London's status as a research-intensive university and its rich research heritage. The course will appeal to those of you who require an understanding of research approaches and skills, and importantly an ability to deploy them in your studies or in your professional lives. In particular, this course will aid those of you who have to conduct research as part of your postgraduate studies but do not perhaps have access to research methods courses, or for those of you who feel you would like additional support for self-improvement. No prior knowledge or experience in research is required to take this course and as such, the course is for everyone. This MOOC draws on a wealth of existing course material developed to support research training across SOAS, University of London and particularly drawing from the Centre for International Studies and Diplomacy (CISD). In 2015, the course was nominated for the prestigious Guardian University Award for its innovative approach to online learning. Participation in or completion of this online course will not confer academic credit for University of London programmes...

AG
Jul 26, 2017

This is wonderful course especially for research scholars, one suggestion is instead of giving articles from books, please provide a PPT which will be more effective ! thank you for wonderful session.

AB
Sep 9, 2019

very good course. The last e-activity was proposal preparation. It will be good if they add something about sampling in reading materials. Very good experience for me.....I will recommend this course

76 - 100 of 1,694 Reviews for Understanding Research Methods

By Srey U

Jan 5, 2018

Research is the systematic process of collecting and analysing information in order to increase our understanding of the phenomenon with which we are concerned or intersted .

Research must be systrmatic -it follows certain steps that are logical order

Understanding the nature of problems to be studied and idenntifying the relatesd

By Dr.Debasmita M

Jul 9, 2020

An excellent course for understanding what research is and what are the steps taken to undergo any kind of research,how to choose a topic of research and most importantly, the utility of a research.It also aims on the quality of research,different approaches and how should it be presented in writing properly to convince others.

By ASHWINI S

Jul 9, 2020

It good and helpful to what is e_ tivity and then how to work useful for we need a special skill then we use to now how to work it first we make use the video the we object it then we finished it very will we should no what use this and it many times very to students and their can make use of it is are to knowledge are education

By Abdul J

Jul 20, 2020

This course helped me a lot to get the correct insight of what research methodology is, how to pose a research question and hot to know to be a good researcher. It was pleasant to listen top notch exemplars and to learn them from their experiences. The activities were also beneficial to flourish in writing and assessing skills.

By Sneha S

Sep 24, 2020

I really loved this course. The topics are very well explained and helps us in understanding the content in depth. I personally loved this subject because as a BBA student, it helped me a lot to improve my knowledge in research methodology. Those who would like to know more about research should certainly go for this course.

By francisco g h r

Dec 6, 2017

If you are not sure on how to start your research proposal, this is your first stop. Short, concise videos, precice, good readings and quick feedback response. I only wish it was longer and covered each unit of the proposed book weekly. It cleared many doubts and I feel confident to keep learning about this topic on my own.

By Pravin B

May 23, 2020

Best Course !!. Well detail about research work has given, Best course for students in science I would like to give suggestion that one module should be for literature review and citation of the problem, So, students can understand more details about importance of literature survey and how they can summarizing literature .

By Derek L

Sep 8, 2020

Enjoyable, informative, and admirable succinct in 4 weeks or parts. At about 2 hours per part it took me a few days. Exceeded my expectations. I learnt what to do, and how to assess quality and value for a literature review in week 2. Research question in week 2 and research design in week 3 were particularly valuable.

By Nurlan J

Sep 11, 2018

The course was nicely designed and helped me to explore new perspectives and expand my questioning skills to master them. Moreover, it provided valuable real-life experiences and advices from senior scholars which improved the practicality of the course.

Thank you for everything, dear University of London and the Team!

By MR.SHASHI K S M I T - K

Sep 21, 2020

Understanding Research Methods gave ooverview of the current research topic or area of study under consideration. Also learned Objective of the literature review and significant sources selected for the current work. Added too Discussion of both the distinctiveness of each source and its similarities with the others.

By María L E

Jan 22, 2016

Muy buen curso. Estructurado y metódico. Imperdible para los que queremos incursionar en la investigación.

Lástima que el curso diga que tiene subtítulos en español, pero en realidad no los tenga. Gracias por no tener límites de tiempo estrictos ,para los que no hablamos inglés y nos demoramos un poco más es excelente

By J R G

Jul 31, 2020

It was a really good experience,the course "understanding research methods" 'fulfilled' what it exactly' meant to be, with the support of the instructors,chapters and further readings.The systematic procedures,the methods, in-depth research.I would recommend to those who are serious and ongoing with their research.

By Zubiri J H G

Mar 20, 2019

Este curso me ha permitido desarrollarme como un futuro investigador, haciendo posible que pudiera considerar factores como el tiempo de empleo de investigación, la búsqueda concreta y correcta de fuente bibliográfica y sobre todo saber como realizar u na buena investigación, por lo tanto lo recomiendo ampliamente.

By Kenneth N B A

Nov 17, 2019

This course has given me so much to think about. It allowed me to assess myself, whether or not I'm ready to conduct my own research and if I have the necessary skills needed to properly conduct one. I'm so thankful for this course because it gave me the missing pieces of information I need in my research study.

By BLESSED E

Aug 23, 2020

Excellent teaching approach. I enjoyed every bit of the course delivery. Thanks for allowing me to gain insight into research. I only wished I had the financial capacity now to obtain a certificate. Kindly, inform me on the next start date in advance, in order to enable me to make payments before course start.

By Bhanu P D

May 11, 2021

The course is very interesting and engaging. As it is said that there is always a scope for improvement, my suggestion would be to make more videos on the pdf files provided in this course. Instead of text, audio and video will be helpful to understand the concepts better. Thank you for such a nice course.

By Angelos K

Apr 16, 2020

The tips and answers I got to my questions through this course are just ideal. I would like to thank the instructors.

It would be truly helpful and interesting to see such an online course for Research Methods in Natural and Life Sciences in the future!

I would love to attend such a course also.

Thank you!

By Tasfia T T

May 8, 2020

aw, I loved the course curriculum and its decorative aspects. helped me a lot to gain a piece of knowledge about research and research mythology. I would recommend this course who are interested or feeling enthusiastic to do know about the research proposals and want to make some of their own research.

By Jomar B A

Apr 12, 2020

Big thanks!

The videos and readings are very informative. The assessments are highly appropriate and responsive to the needs of the course takers.

The peer review process builds confidence among students and facilitates immediate feedbacking. This I believe is one of the best features of the course.

By Jamilah D

Jun 10, 2019

Thank you so much for this course. I spend time with the best researchers. When I hear the discussion I enjoy it because it was extremely useful for me. Faintly , I want to shear my proposal to get a feedback and criticism because I would to improve and enhance my researcher skills. Thanks again..

By Keith D

Aug 28, 2016

Very thought provoking course. The online content was well presented, and the supporting reading was highly quality, relevant material that expanded my knowledge on this subject and I am sure it will be really helpful in improving my future research projects and planning. Highly recommended.

By Priyankar

Aug 1, 2020

I found this course to be very pragmatic as a beginner researcher. The instructors touch upon very crucial and core elements of research that is applicable across disciplines. A conventional understanding of this course can make a difference between conducting 'research' and 'good research'.

By Khanysa E M

Apr 19, 2020

The course is very simply organised and taught, and easy to follow independently of having any experience with research methods. The course is practical which really helps to get an idea of the 1st phases of the research process: defining your research question and doing a literature review.

By Jessica F S

Jul 10, 2020

I loved this course! I recommend it to everyone who is working with research or plan to do so in the future. I enjoyed the reading material and I believe the videos were simple to understand and insightful at the same time. It enabled me to see the research process with a deeper purpose.

By PARTH D

Apr 6, 2019

Thanks a lot. entire team had made great amount of efforts to make this course so much easy to understand. so many things we can learnt and have clear view about research, literature review, research approach and design etc. Once again Thanks to coursera and university of london. Thanks.