Back to Understanding Research Methods

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Understanding Research Methods by University of London

This MOOC is about demystifying research and research methods. It will outline the fundamentals of doing research, aimed primarily, but not exclusively, at the postgraduate level. It places the student experience at the centre of our endeavours by engaging learners in a range of robust and challenging discussions and exercises befitting SOAS, University of London's status as a research-intensive university and its rich research heritage. The course will appeal to those of you who require an understanding of research approaches and skills, and importantly an ability to deploy them in your studies or in your professional lives. In particular, this course will aid those of you who have to conduct research as part of your postgraduate studies but do not perhaps have access to research methods courses, or for those of you who feel you would like additional support for self-improvement. No prior knowledge or experience in research is required to take this course and as such, the course is for everyone. This MOOC draws on a wealth of existing course material developed to support research training across SOAS, University of London and particularly drawing from the Centre for International Studies and Diplomacy (CISD). In 2015, the course was nominated for the prestigious Guardian University Award for its innovative approach to online learning. Participation in or completion of this online course will not confer academic credit for University of London programmes...

AG
Jul 26, 2017

This is wonderful course especially for research scholars, one suggestion is instead of giving articles from books, please provide a PPT which will be more effective ! thank you for wonderful session.

AB
Sep 9, 2019

very good course. The last e-activity was proposal preparation. It will be good if they add something about sampling in reading materials. Very good experience for me.....I will recommend this course

151 - 175 of 1,444 Reviews for Understanding Research Methods

By sandhya s

May 2, 2018

This course gives an overall idea about Research Methods to a beginner. With the assessments it also enables one to do a deeper research in the interested area. Peer review helps by giving a different prospect.

By Eddah K

Jun 26, 2016

This course has given me a new energy to move on with my research. I loved the advice on the need to plan and manage well and to ensure one writes something everyday. Thank you and I look forward for more topics.

By Therese M R

Oct 8, 2020

The timing of this course is so apt to what I need these days. I am part of a research team, and it has a different approach compared to what I have been used to, but, it is something I welcomed. Thanks so much.

By Nguyen T T

Sep 23, 2018

This course is extremely helpful for researchers. I truly learned a lot. I have been impressed by learning approaches like peer reviews, video interviews. That's amazing to have a lot of ideas from many experts.

By RAUL M

Mar 17, 2017

Cuando empezó el curso me doy cuenta que tengo una pregunta demasiado vaga, tengo la idea pero las ideas están volando en el aire, al final delimito hacia donde quiero llegar y por qué estoy haciendo las cosas .

By Harmony c

Jul 11, 2020

Thank you so much. It was an absolute pleasure to take this course and I'm so appreciative of everything I got to learn. Answered many of the questions I had regarding research before I took the course. Cheers.

By Debasish P

Aug 26, 2018

Excellent. In a very short time it can help you to understand how research work? Peer Review method is excellent and everybody is very cooperative. I will recommend this course to all young researchers like me.

By Adel G

Aug 15, 2020

Really informative , I would recommend this for any new researcher (junior or otherwise). I like also that it provides perspective for research methods in various very different fields.

Kind regards

Adel Gougam

By JANE Q A

Sep 25, 2019

I had fun reading the research resources, watching the videos, responding in every week's e-tivity and reviewing my peersv assignments. I learned a lot from the reviews of my fellow classmates in this course.

By SUNITHA B

Jun 9, 2020

It was well designed and paced. It gave meaningful insight and supported my need in revising my research plans. Thank you to the course instructors and to all the course mates who made the learning possible.

By DANIEL

Jun 26, 2016

En este curso he aprendido de que la investigacion es una solucion al problema que nos rodea , y tambien ,como ser un buen planteamiento de una pregunta de investigacion y que un debate ayuda a mejorar ...

By Margaret M H

Sep 18, 2020

Very Enjoyable Course, Research is so important and this class really helped me understand the methods more deeply. Thank you and I look forward to more of these courses.

Meg Harlin, MSMT (ASCP), CLS (NCA)

By Brietta D

Mar 23, 2020

Very good and simple course. It gives plenty of written assignments and chapters to base them off. I feel like, after taking this course my ability to formulate a good research paper has greatly approved.

By JESSICA C D

Sep 13, 2017

Me pareció un curso de mucha ayuda con los puntos de vista de los expertos en el tema; además que los comentarios de los compañeros te ayudan a aterrizar aún más la comprensión que se tuvo en cada módulo.

By Carlos R P M

Mar 9, 2019

Es un muy buen curso, de verdad te deja buenas enseñanzas y sobre todo el cómo hacer o empezar a hacer tu búsqueda de información para un trabajo de tesis o en general cualquier trabajo de investigación.

By Balaji A

Mar 13, 2017

Its a wonderful course for all research students and beginners to have a good understanding of research methods and Review of Literature in general. I would endorse this course for all research scholars.

By Delma O S M

Jun 27, 2020

Provee las herramientas para entender cuáles son los métodos de investigación y las recomendaciones para realizar una buena investigación. Los compañeros ofrecen sugerencias y comentarios muy valiosos.

By Reecha G

Feb 9, 2020

Such a nice helped me to get a clear idea of how to do a research project. Videos have helped me to get perspectives from different lecturers. Feeling happy about the course. A great course by courseera

By Glen V

Jun 18, 2020

This is very helpful if you want to refresh your ideas about research particularly on the methods used. Thank you Coursera and University of London for bringing this material for free. More power.

By Jean V

Nov 29, 2020

A well made lesson with focus of what matters the most in research. The university of London along with Coursera did a great job at pointing out how research topics should be approached.

By Priyangaa A

Aug 4, 2020

The course is different from the usual lecture-oriented course. The views of different researchers on research methods provides meaningful insight. I enjoyed watching the interviews. Thank you.

By Rivera c

May 15, 2020

understanding research methods are very useful to me. it is a very good approach for all the scholar students who are studied. A very good platform for learning everything. thank you very much.

By Manju P K

Jul 16, 2020

I am very lucky to do the course through coursera. The reading material is and resourses are arranged in an efficient order. Resourceful RPs. Really amazing and wonderful corse arrangement.

By 19SME10 M S

Sep 21, 2020

I am a first generation graduate in my family and my exposure to the aspects of research is minimal. This course expanded my knowledge on research methods. Thanks to the teachers of coursera.

By Dr. M Y

Feb 29, 2020

The course was very informative and provides comprehensive information about Research methodology, review of literature and planning to be done for successful completion of proposed research.