Back to Understanding Research Methods

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Understanding Research Methods by University of London

This MOOC is about demystifying research and research methods. It will outline the fundamentals of doing research, aimed primarily, but not exclusively, at the postgraduate level. It places the student experience at the centre of our endeavours by engaging learners in a range of robust and challenging discussions and exercises befitting SOAS, University of London's status as a research-intensive university and its rich research heritage. The course will appeal to those of you who require an understanding of research approaches and skills, and importantly an ability to deploy them in your studies or in your professional lives. In particular, this course will aid those of you who have to conduct research as part of your postgraduate studies but do not perhaps have access to research methods courses, or for those of you who feel you would like additional support for self-improvement. No prior knowledge or experience in research is required to take this course and as such, the course is for everyone. This MOOC draws on a wealth of existing course material developed to support research training across SOAS, University of London and particularly drawing from the Centre for International Studies and Diplomacy (CISD). In 2015, the course was nominated for the prestigious Guardian University Award for its innovative approach to online learning. Participation in or completion of this online course will not confer academic credit for University of London programmes...

AG
Jul 26, 2017

This is wonderful course especially for research scholars, one suggestion is instead of giving articles from books, please provide a PPT which will be more effective ! thank you for wonderful session.

AB
Sep 9, 2019

very good course. The last e-activity was proposal preparation. It will be good if they add something about sampling in reading materials. Very good experience for me.....I will recommend this course

1776 - 1800 of 1,823 Reviews for Understanding Research Methods

By Yash Y A

Oct 16, 2020

The course is very simplified version of Research Methodology. In my opinion it would have been better if the course contained actual lectures rather than mere interviews and talks. Apart from that the assignments are lack-luster and provides no incentives to someone who actually put in time and effort into reading material. Peer community for the most part seems average at best.

By Enrico P

Apr 26, 2020

Pretty shallow content, not really going in depth on anything. Parts of videos are repeated multiple times for no apparent reason. Errors in the wording of weekly tasks has existed seemingly for years and no effort has been put in solving the issues. I have paid for a certificate and earned it, and I do not think I am going to even download it.

By Juan C V G

Jun 28, 2019

Podria tener un enfoque mas amplio. Ya que solo se centra en investigacion en el are social. No abarca investigacion cientifica o de otrras ramas del cobnocimiento. Pudieron convocar expertos en estas areas para asie rniquecer en gran medida el proceso de aprendizaje, y hacer de este un curso mas global.

By Gunnar W

Feb 3, 2021

Could be made much more interactive, interesting and challenging. It raises four important topics and the methodology is interesting, but the evaluation for students is so relaxed it does not invite engagement or further ellaboration.

By Nidhi R

Oct 10, 2016

This course relies heavily on self-reading and theoretical knowledge. Video interviews which are part of the curriculum are mostly not useful. Overall the course did not provide me with the value I was looking for.

By Mansi

Overall, the e-tivities or tasks given are good. However, the videos and courses don't add a lot of contribution to what is known. It is very basic and very less inputs are provided during the course.

By Abhishekkumar T

Feb 10, 2018

This course just gives you theoretical background of research methods and too easy. I found it actually not useful to me. I learned no practical skills to deal with my research thesis.

By Zebun N A

Nov 21, 2020

The content of the course was very minimal. Much needs to be put into such a course to inspire research attitudes - and probably more outputs should be demanded from the learners too.

By Katharhy

Apr 2, 2021

I expected more instruction of getting a research project started. The course was mainly to introduce different aspects of general ideas of why research is a good idea.

By Sayr E O O

Jul 29, 2017

The sound is not clear, they bore me a lot when they talk about something. I would enjoy the course if they type it in a page to read it more comfortably.

By Christopher M S

Sep 27, 2015

There was very little actual content in this course, and I can't say I learned very much. In hindsight, I wish I hadn't paid for a verified certificate.

By Ahmed E

Apr 1, 2019

This is a good course but I was hoping to get lectures that teach the research methodology in greater details with MCQs as testing methods.

By Akshay T

Jun 21, 2020

Not at all recommended. I would prefer rather book like Craft of research or a similar one instead of this course.

By Oosman B

Jul 12, 2018

Contains worthwhile content though for all the hours spent, I didn't get as much as I should have.

By Abdulrahman A

Mar 29, 2017

The course is not well constricted to guide students.. it's only fill the gaps.

By Rawan N A

Sep 1, 2020

thank you for your efforts but I think need more information

By Biobele L

Jul 5, 2020

It was a great and enlightening course. I was so excited

By Carlos M C C

Nov 2, 2020

Poor sound, low quality videos. Low engagement.

By Upasna G

Sep 30, 2021

I think the course need to be more exhaustive.

By Saquib B H

Jul 6, 2020

The contents could have been better.

By Rawan I B H

Jul 6, 2020

Not adding any valuable information

By Sintra S

Jun 25, 2020

Not really detailed

By Xavier O

Nov 26, 2015

yeah

By David W

Aug 3, 2020

Peer reviewing quality was very poor, and I didn't receive any feedback that I could learn from. There was a mismatch between the simplicity of the points in the videos and the complexity of the readings, and there was no assistance with the reading, e.g. supporting notes or videos discussing the readings. The discussion facility was not used for any actual discussion of the material, but was filled with requests for peer reviewing including at least one that said 'I'll give you a good mark if you give me one'.

The useful aspect was completing the assignments, which made me watch the videos and read the sources, but, as I say, there was no subsequent useful feedback.

By Aastha s

This course is not what it boasts to be.Just some random interviews are posted without doing any work on developing the content and structuring the presentation.Pier review system even makes it worse.I was expecting a more structured presentation rather than beating around the bush.Rather than giving reference to the materials you can make some efforts to create content of your own.If you are looking for course on research methods the course by university of Amsterdam is the best hands down.