Back to Roman Art and Archaeology

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Roman Art and Archaeology by University of Arizona

The objective of this course is to provide an overview of the culture of ancient Rome beginning about 1000 BCE and ending with the so-called "Fall of Rome". We will look at some of the key people who played a role in Rome, from the time of the kings through the Roman Republic and the Roman Empire. We will also focus on the city of Rome itself, as well as Rome's expansion through Italy, the Mediterranean, and beyond....

VJ

Jul 06, 2016

To me, it is the best structured course so far. Quiz after every lesson and written assignment after every week. Also, prof. Soren is reproducing it steadily and in comprehending fashion.

VV

Jun 17, 2020

The lectures and videos are phenomenal. It really feels like travelling back to Ancient Rome. I'm so grateful for Dr Soren, the Coursera Team, and everyone who made this happen!

76 - 100 of 124 Reviews for Roman Art and Archaeology

By Wendy M

Oct 15, 2016

Great course with an entertaining lecturer

By Ajlan A

Nov 13, 2016

Very well prepared course. Like to learn.

By jeannette l w

Aug 26, 2018

So very interesting. Great instructor

By Gordon R

Mar 06, 2016

I thought the course was excellent.

By Huong N

Nov 09, 2017

this course helped me sooooo much

By Samer M K

Oct 20, 2018

Its a great course. Thanks.

By Felix N

Jun 08, 2020

Great course! I loved it!

By Megan C

Mar 30, 2016

W

By Marie-Pierre B

Oct 16, 2017

The course is an introduction to Roman art but also to Roman history. It is good but I found it sometimes a bit disappointing. Most videos of the professor are very short and we spend more time with the dog Lana than with some monuments... The guests are very interesting, especially on dendrochronology, but why a whole long subject on the archaeology of Troy ? very interesting by the way, but a little far from the main subject even if Aeneas (from Troy) is supposed to be the ancestor of one of the main Roman family.

On the Mooc aspect, I liked the alternance of quizzes and peer assessment with 3 questions (not to difficult for people whose mother language isn't English).

By Sami L

Dec 27, 2016

What's best in this course: the assignments. Requiring a short few paragraph essay answers to a few questions at the end of each week is so much better than just relying on multiple choice questionnaires. This encourages participants to do a little bit more, at least glimpse through a few relevant Wikipedia articles.

Of course there is plenty of multiple choice questionnaires and videos as well. Some of the videos are a bit dated, but that makes them even more interesting as an archaeological evidence. Besides, the subject matter isn't moving forward very fast, though new research reveals new things at a slow yet constant pace.

By Janis F

Aug 09, 2016

I enjoyed the course. Lots of Roman history included. Lots of interesting videos from other experts in a particular area of study. But, I will never again take an on-line course with essay questions graded by other students. Out of frustration, I experimented by looking at the answers before taking the test so I knew I should have gotten a perfect score & still didn't get passing marks from my fellow students. I started just skipping them. Remove the essay questions & I would give this course 5 stars.

By Jeffrey M

Nov 15, 2016

Thoroughly enjoyed learning more about ancient Rome. The lectures are a great overview of the history of Rome with great insight from the archaeology. I'm an architect and I really appreciated the connection between architecture and the culture of Rome. I didn't realize how much of a Archaeology rockstar Dr. Soren was until I watched the BBC documentary! Thanks to the leaders of the course and Lana.

By Yanisa L

Apr 21, 2020

If you want to know about history, art and archaeology of Roman from the beginning till the end, this course is suit for you. There will be one peer-graded assignment per week since week 2, so if you don't like writing essay maybe it would be difficult. And professor's accent is very easy to understand.