Back to Russian History: from Lenin to Putin

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Russian History: from Lenin to Putin by University of California, Santa Cruz

In this course, Peter Kenez, Professor Emeritus at UC Santa Cruz, explains the events of modern Russian history and introduces its most significant actors—from Vladimir Lenin to Vladimir Putin....

RS
Sep 14, 2020

I found that course had a central theme, the incompatibility of the Communist structures with an increase in the standard of living, that was well documented from the time of Lenin to that of Putin.

MM
Apr 13, 2020

I recommend anyone interested in this period of Russian history to take the course. Professor Kenez is an authority on the period and delivers an excellent overview of the time.

151 - 175 of 217 Reviews for Russian History: from Lenin to Putin

By Philip R

Jun 18, 2018

The volume was a little low unless I used my headphones, which doesn't happen elsewhere? Great content.

By William M

Dec 8, 2017

Excellent introduction to Russian history, especially to the "short" twentieth century.

By Harmanpreet K

Jul 7, 2020

I thoroughly enjoyed learning from this course and Dr. Kenez is a wonderful teacher.

By Cheneil A

May 3, 2018

The subject matter was interesting, and I found the teacher nice to listen to.

By Elizabeth N C

May 26, 2021

It is interesting to listen to the history of Russia But the audios were low

By Iswarya k

Jul 14, 2020

Though it was a three week course, it has vast details on Russian History.

By Alice E G

Feb 1, 2018

Interesting, interactive, varied in the assent form and quick to complete.

By kousay a

May 18, 2018

Enjoyed immensely professor Kenez's scholarly lectures!

By Henrietta A

Jul 8, 2020

The course was really enlightening. I enjoyed it.

By DINESH K

Jul 18, 2020

nice

By Novindah S

Jul 12, 2020

This course is an excellent overview of Russian History. It will definitely help you grasp the most basic bits but you should keep in mind that there will be bias, propaganda, and gatekeeping. So my advice for anyone taking this course is to be critical of everything and stop being intellectually lazy. Radicalize yourself.

By Dieter S

Apr 29, 2020

The professor is a terrible speaker, and his hmm-ing and haa-ing eventually was too much to endure. I decided to just read the transcription, but the transcriptor couldn't make much of what he was saying, either. I'm not speaking of his accent, that was not much of a problem. He just couldn't go through the material in a mostly linear way. I think he should take a look at Professor Shapiro's politics course from Yale. That's how it's done.

By char h

Aug 6, 2020

I only got six minutes in to the literal first video when the professor began extolling "the greatness of European civilization." That was after completely missing the point of the oft-quoted phrase "Those who do not study history are doomed to repeat this." I don't need this kind of energy in my life.

By Anne G

May 3, 2021

The course has given me a better understanding of Russian history during the past century, and even more importantly, of Russia’s present day situation. Professor Kenez is a very endearing teacher who brings soul into his subject. I have a suggestion, which is to document the very interesting iconography used in the lessons : I wish the texts, when applicable, had been translated from Russian and some legends written, indicating time, place or circumstances, as appropriate. Same thing for the pieces of music introducing and closing each lesson, I would have liked to know what they were. Also, could the words and names in Russian be written on the screen as they are spoken?

By Marian P

Dec 9, 2020

Professor Kenez uses his deep knowledge of Russian history in a compelling presentation of the significant issues, people, events of this period. His lectures conclude with an explicit statement of empathy for all that the Russians have endured, but his appreciation of their suffering is evident throughout. He appears to speak without notes, so intimately familiar he is with the material. I strongly recommend this course for anyone who has the slightest interest in understanding a country which has generated such important contributions to music and literature, and yet has been cast as an enemy of the West for so long.

By David D

Mar 3, 2021

Definitely a worthwhile course delivered by an excellent lecturer. It's nice to find this perspective to cover a lot of ground from the time of the Russian revolution to the current. Too often there is a strong western bias in recounting history. These lectures tell of the suffering and failures but seem to summarize the different periods objectively. Plus I did enjoy all the pictures and musics and the fact the topics were varied and never too long to be boring.

By Otto V

Apr 17, 2021

I enrolled in the course looking for ways to keep busy during these pandemic times, thinking that the agenda was quite ambitious. For my delight, the professor was able to cover the topics with enough depth to enhance my knowledge of the political development of Russia. I also perceived that the peer review was a productive exercise where you had the opportunity of getting in contact with the thoughts of a diverse class of more than 35,000 students.

By Magdalene W

Sep 17, 2020

This course was highly informative and easy to follow. I enjoyed the review quizzes at the end of each week and thought that the freedom given to learners in the final essay was an excellent idea, as it enabled you to write about a subject that specifically interested you. I feel that I have learned plenty from both this course and other learners, whose essays I have marked as part of the course.

By Alberto D Á P

Dec 28, 2020

In my opinion, this course helped me to get more information about Russian history. I will definitely advise people keen on history, anthropology, sociology or Russian culture to take this lesson. I really enjoyed the explanations given to understand better some events during Russian Empire, the Soviet Union and nowadays Russia. You will not regret taking this course.

By Zena P

May 12, 2021

Excellent course given by a very competent lecturer. I would appreciate if the lecturer would speak more clearly, as I am a non-native speaker. I would also appreciate more citations or suggestions for material.

Overall, I would like to thank you for giving me this opportunity. I have learned so much and I really enjoyed taking this course.

By Justin C

Jan 25, 2021

If you have a love for Russian history then you need to definitely enroll in this course. Professor Kenez does an amazing job teaching the complexity of the Russian Empire, the Soviet Union, and contemporary Russian politics. I have learned so much, I truly hope that Professor Kenez offers another course on Coursera about Russian history.

By Mary B S

Mar 28, 2021

This course was so intriguing and I really enjoyed taking it! Professor Kenez did a great job explaining this era of Russian history in these video lectures and was great to listen to. I learned a lot and have a much better understanding of contemporary Russia now that I know its history and what has happened.

By John W

Dec 30, 2020

I found this a most enjoyable course with clear explanations of the causes of the tumultuous events in Russia during the last Century. Prof. Kenez has an undoubted in depth knowledge of his subject which he imparts in a sympathetic, non-judgmental matter, often with a wry sense of humour.

By Erin G

Jul 5, 2021

This is probably the best history course on Coursera. All the lessons are very thorough and cover aspects of Russian history you never even knew existed. However, it takes a lot more work than I first thought! But it is all very worth it in the end.