Back to Schizophrenia

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Schizophrenia by Wesleyan University

The main goal of this class is to gain an introductory exposure to the nature of the psychiatric disorder known as schizophrenia as revealed by the scientific method. We will discuss a broad range of findings from the scientific investigation of biological and psychological factors related to schizophrenia and its treatment. More specifically we will learn about: (1) key symptomatic features through discussion and enactments of interviews with actors portraying many of the cardinal features of the illness, (2) what brain imaging studies (MRI and fMRI) and neurochemistry have taught us about the neuroscience of the disorder, (3) scientific psychological data and theories concerning cognition, emotion and behavior in schizophrenia, and (4) current, evidence-based somatic and psychosocial approaches to treatment. A brief historical overview of the recent emergence of the psychiatric category of schizophrenia will be presented as well....

EA
May 5, 2021

Given information is very clear and easy to understand.\n\nI really appreciate that it is just the most important parts and not the whole science or odd information.\n\nThank you, I learned so much.

CR
Feb 8, 2021

Information and learning was far more than I expected. The lectures were clear, crisp and the information provided was relevant. I enjoyed the course and learnt quite a lot about the subject matter.

26 - 50 of 331 Reviews for Schizophrenia

By John W

Dec 24, 2018

Ideas clearly enunciated by a Professor who clearly has a deep passion fro this subject. It is also helpful that this presenter, Dr, Matt Kurtz, is personable and uses layman's language. Matt comes across as a friendly and knowledgeable advisor.

This is one of the best MOOCs I have undertaken.

By Adan Z

Apr 8, 2021

hank you for this course. I get know experience and knowledge in using different kinds of online tools which are useful and effective. I'll use some of them during my lessons. And lots of thanks.

By JOHN Q

Nov 17, 2017

INTERESTING COURSE. I HAVEN'T GIVEN SCHIZOPHRENIA MUCH THOUGHT OVER THE YEARS, BUT AFTER THIS COURSE A FEW RELATIONSHIPS AND UNDERSTANDING OF THEIR RELATIVES MAKE MORE SENSE. THANKS SO MUCH.

By Tatiana K

Mar 7, 2021

Highly recommend this course. The professor's explanation makes the hardest things seem easy and accessible. The narration is captivating, all the examples are imprinted in memory immediately.

By Elena A

May 6, 2021

Given information is very clear and easy to understand.

Thank you, I learned so much.

By Sherri G

Sep 4, 2019

Very informative, the professor is engaging. The demonstrations were especially useful in allowing the student to see the positive and negative symptoms in action.

By Yağmur Ş

Oct 20, 2017

Although the course covered both psychologic and scientific sides of schizophrenia, the same information was repeated all over the course. The information that was provided was crucial and enough, but the repetitions lengthened the course. However, there was an interactive part in which the learner observed a schizophrenic and answered some leading questions.

By Priti R

May 27, 2021

The course covers the introductions to what schizophrenia is, the research done so far and the treatements available. The content is good. However, the delivery of the course needs improvements. Following are some suggestions:

1) The part where there are actors in the examples. I am not sure if such leading questions are actually asked to the patients by psychologist but it could be done better.

2) Prof Matt Kurtz is great at delivering the course however some early sessions and videos there is a lot of "emmm" "eh" "aa" used. It is kind of distracting and could be a possible change to be considered. The later videos this pauses are not so much and those videos are really good.

3) Is there a possibility to add a short video (where you talk about the treatments) as to how the family members of such patients could be supportive. I am sure many people who take this course might be looking for such suggestions. I understand that this course is not prescriptive in anyway but it would help.

Hope this feedback helps. Thanks for putting together this course.

Regards,

By Elena M

Feb 23, 2018

I am a retired nurse, a member of my family has just been diagnosed with this disease. I wanted to use this as one of many learning tools. It did not teach me practical, usable information to be able to better live with and improve the life of my relative.

By Ritika S

May 2, 2020

It is informative, but I didn't enjoy the delivery much. Pedagogy could've been more engaging. Regardless, glad to have had the opportunity. Thanks a lot!

By Yulia S

Aug 5, 2020

Professor Kurtz went over concepts at a steady pace, giving viewers lots of chances to digest information. The demonstration videos and forums were helpful exercises that tested my observation skills and helped me see what the symptoms for schizophrenia may look like and how much they may differ. The exams covered most of the essential parts of the course and gave me a good idea of what areas I could improve on.

I really enjoyed this class and would recommend it to my friends, including those who are not psychology or neuroscience majors.

Thank you! :)

By Carolyn

Jul 7, 2021

I've found the course very interesting. I now understand the people I work with much better. I appreciate the time and effort that you have spent making this course.

It was quite fascinating learning about how this has affected different areas of the brain, with reduced function and increase in some areas. I was also intrigued to see how much treatment has progressed in the last 2 decades in regards to medications

By Wan F A B W Z

Aug 20, 2021

I​ like how clearly Dr Matt Kurtz explains everything. He is also really nice to listen to so it's easier for me to pay attention. Content-wise, I really enjoy Week 5, where the focus is on treatment for schizophrenia. While this course doesnt qualify me to help the people in my life who have schizophrenia, I do appreciate that with understanding better what it is, I hope to be less scared or judgemental of them.

By Rosana M

Aug 16, 2021

O conteúdo do curso foi muito bem apresentado, o professor é excelente ! Motivou-me a querer aprender cada vez mais!

A abordagem mostrou o transtorno da esquizofrenia de modo abrangente, com exemplos, na neurociência, na psicologia/psiquiatria, na cognição, no comportamento social, a história dos tratamentos e os tratamentos administrados hoje.

Tenho dificuldades nas avaliações porque não domino a língua inglesa.

By Britton E

Sep 10, 2020

I learned so much in this course. I have always been interested in schizophrenia and the professor is clearly an expert in this field. I loved how he set up the class and his lectures were so interesting to watch and listen to. I really liked the examples acted out to show the different types of symptoms. That made me aware that schizophrenia is almost a spectrum like disorder, like autism.

By tuna e

Aug 26, 2020

This course was seriously one of the best in Coursera, much more in depth than most online courses one can find and it even includes perfectly constructed case examples. Anyone that works or plans to work in mental health settings should take this course, even if it's just to refresh the information you already know from previous professional education. The professor was amazing.

By Kash B

Sep 3, 2021

An excellent short course, for anyone who wants to learn more about Schizophrenia, a debilitating mental condition, highly recommended. More needs to be done to destigmatise mental illness and for more effective therapies and treatments to be developed for a condition that is rated as more debilitating than paraplegia and even blindness!

By Don P

May 11, 2021

Highly impressed with Professor Kurtz's style, knowledge, and comprehensive instruction. He is definitely an asset to his university. Why would you want to take his course? The delivery is spot on. Plenty of Psych courses can be dry and uninviting. Prof. Kurtz has the capacity to deliver the info AND make it a happy learning experience.

By Caro G

Jun 6, 2021

This course is so interesting! I loved it. The professor explains very clearly and also, he repeats a lot, which is really good to memorize. I loved every week, and it was really fun to study for the final test. I recommend to study every week and you will eventually memorize everything, because it's so interesting!

By ΧΡΥΣΟΥΛΑ Κ

Nov 30, 2020

Great course if one is interested in learning about Schizophrenia. The proffesor was understandable, use pictures and examples to help us understand better, the symptoms and expression of them in patients with Schizophrenia. I recommend this course to anyone who works/studies in health and mental health departments.

By Bahia L

Jun 11, 2018

It is a very interesting course. Professor goes deeply in the subject and gives details.The course is really a package that contains all what is related to schizophrenia. The modules are organized in a logic manner and the chapters as well.Professor Kurz teaches with all his senses. He transmits knowledge with love.

By Tsering D

Oct 27, 2019

It was very informative and very useful for me to understand about the schizophrenia clients. It will also help me to be more clear to take action on bases of needs. Special thanks to Dr Matt Kurtz for making the lecture simple and easy to understand. Thank you to everyone who has been doing this great job.

By Daniel E

Dec 20, 2020

This is an insightful course that helps me know about this particular mental disorder and how certain symptoms overlaps with similar disorders. I love how this course shows the origins of this certain category of mental disorders in the Psychological, Neurological, and Historical perspective.

By Jasmine T

Jan 29, 2021

Very informative. I really loved it. It's really insightful. I realised my understanding of schizophrenia was actually quite 2D but now I realise the multilayered and multifaceted nature of the mental illness. There's still so much more to learn that I don't know and that no one knows...

By Beatriz d N W

Jun 20, 2019

I sincerely enjoyed this course. It has helped me to understand the illness and learn about it , so with some knowledge and understanding I feel better equipped to contribute to ameliorate their situation in the society.

I like to thank professor Matts Kurtz and the staff for the course.