Back to Schizophrenia

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Schizophrenia by Wesleyan University

The main goal of this class is to gain an introductory exposure to the nature of the psychiatric disorder known as schizophrenia as revealed by the scientific method. We will discuss a broad range of findings from the scientific investigation of biological and psychological factors related to schizophrenia and its treatment. More specifically we will learn about: (1) key symptomatic features through discussion and enactments of interviews with actors portraying many of the cardinal features of the illness, (2) what brain imaging studies (MRI and fMRI) and neurochemistry have taught us about the neuroscience of the disorder, (3) scientific psychological data and theories concerning cognition, emotion and behavior in schizophrenia, and (4) current, evidence-based somatic and psychosocial approaches to treatment. A brief historical overview of the recent emergence of the psychiatric category of schizophrenia will be presented as well....

EA
May 5, 2021

Given information is very clear and easy to understand.\n\nI really appreciate that it is just the most important parts and not the whole science or odd information.\n\nThank you, I learned so much.

CR
Feb 8, 2021

Information and learning was far more than I expected. The lectures were clear, crisp and the information provided was relevant. I enjoyed the course and learnt quite a lot about the subject matter.

251 - 275 of 330 Reviews for Schizophrenia

Apr 22, 2020

10/10

By Sam L

Aug 15, 2020

As a family member of someone with schizophrenia, this course was extremely helpful in understanding the characteristics of schizophrenia and the history of researches done on the subject that is highly stigmatized yet little understood. By the end of the course, I learned enough to be able to nod to the closing remark of the Professor Kurtz that there is a big gap between the evidence-based research done and the delivery of the treatments to the patients. I thank Coursera and the Professor Kurtz for this extremely valuable learning experience. The only wish for the future is to see more captions/slides in the videos that would help viewers note and follow the important facts or concepts.

By Arci G

Nov 5, 2020

Overall, great presentation of information. However, i wish there was a more in depth look into this disease and how it presents physiologically and also, what steps a clinician can take to help a client with Schizophrenia. It would have also been helpful to present information on how an individual who suffers from the disease can better his or her condition by direct instruction on techniques that the individual can utilize. That last request is of course, assuming that one signed up for this lecture for self-help and further insight into Schizophrenia.

By Sameer D

Sep 3, 2021

I​ think I was a bit lucky to get 80 % and above in both tests in my first attempt as I had guessed in 2 or 3 places.

The snap quizzes in the middle of the videos were helpful.

A​ suggestion that could be included in the beginning would be to take notes after each video to highlight the main points of each video for better recall.

T​hanks! This was helpful though as the instructor said the real world solutions are sorely lacking.

I​ hope the situation improves.

By Alok D

Apr 11, 2021

on the topics based on medical subjects CME points should be provided for these courses . that will be a great motivating factor for medical professionals too take courses related to their fields on coursera

further more i am registered as dubeykalok@gmai.com

Ijust completed the course

when i toook the course i took it free , but now having passed this I want to havea certificate . I am ready to pay the required amount . Please advise

dubey

By Altug k

Feb 20, 2019

In the lectures there might be more information about different types of schizofrenia, various other causes like child development, genetics etc. Besides some subtypes of schizofrenia and differential diagnosis from other diseases like mania, drugs etc.

I liked the videos. I liked to course instructors pace. Thank you.

I made many mistakes in my attempts due to my own concentration problems. Overall I liked the course very much.

By Gizem Y

Jan 10, 2020

Overall the course is really informative and it consists of many examples which are linked together. It is very clear to understand even if you just now a little bit of basic biology and social behaviour. One downside is that it can get boring since it covers the issue from all perspectives. You may be really into one subject and not so interested in the other one. Personally I really enjoyed it.

By Michael S M M

Aug 22, 2020

Taking into account the length of this course is okay, but it could be better. The instructor was great, but I consider it could be better if it had shown more pictures, graphs. There were some videos where it gets kinda boring just listening to the professor without support images or videos. I really loved the interviews, in this section I could really appreciate the schizophrenia burden.