Back to Schizophrenia

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Schizophrenia by Wesleyan University

The main goal of this class is to gain an introductory exposure to the nature of the psychiatric disorder known as schizophrenia as revealed by the scientific method. We will discuss a broad range of findings from the scientific investigation of biological and psychological factors related to schizophrenia and its treatment. More specifically we will learn about: (1) key symptomatic features through discussion and enactments of interviews with actors portraying many of the cardinal features of the illness, (2) what brain imaging studies (MRI and fMRI) and neurochemistry have taught us about the neuroscience of the disorder, (3) scientific psychological data and theories concerning cognition, emotion and behavior in schizophrenia, and (4) current, evidence-based somatic and psychosocial approaches to treatment. A brief historical overview of the recent emergence of the psychiatric category of schizophrenia will be presented as well....

CR
Feb 8, 2021

Information and learning was far more than I expected. The lectures were clear, crisp and the information provided was relevant. I enjoyed the course and learnt quite a lot about the subject matter.

EA
May 5, 2021

Given information is very clear and easy to understand.\n\nI really appreciate that it is just the most important parts and not the whole science or odd information.\n\nThank you, I learned so much.

326 - 337 of 337 Reviews for Schizophrenia

By Isil M B

Mar 1, 2018

A great and useful course.

By Alejandro G P

Jul 8, 2020

nice

By SUBASHAN A V

May 7, 2020

The style of teaching which involves a lot of didactic information giving by Prof. Matt and very little visual stimulus can get a little repetitive and it's easy to lose focus. I would recommend more visuals, especially when explaining pharmacological treatments of schizophrenia and for CBT, maybe an example of the session can be role-played. I thoroughly enjoyed the role-playing of actors portraying the various types of schizophrenia patients.

By Cierra L

May 10, 2021

This was a basic course that did provide decent background information regarding the history of Schizophrenia, its treatments, etc. Unfortunately, I did not find the course to be an engaging and interesting as I had hope. The professor did a decent job (sometimes the "ums" and "uhs" got a bit redundant and distracting) though I found myself yawning throughout it. Good for the basics though.

By Allison A

Mar 10, 2021

Course does not seem to include the student thinking for themselves.

Schizophrenia is a topic that should be discussed - questions should be asked , and there should be some focus on what isn't known .

The set up seems outdated and messy

By Mrudula B

Jun 23, 2020

I wish there were more visuals in this course. I liked the interviews and it was fun to analyse and study the patients. The course would've been so much more interesting if there were more videos and images given.

By Amal A

Aug 14, 2019

highly recommend the course for anyone who wants to learn more about schizophrenia.well organized content.

By Delia F

Jul 16, 2020

I could not find the answers to the exam question in the videos that were suggested

By Nilanko M

Mar 10, 2020

The professor read stuff out mostly...it was extremely tedious to follow,