Back to Writing in the Sciences

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Writing in the Sciences by Stanford University

SD
Feb 25, 2020

Respected Dr.kristiani sainani madam and coursera.\n\nI thank you for the wonderful classes and presentations, it really didn't made me feel that i was learning online course but as in class learning.

KK
Sep 14, 2020

Hello Kristin\n\nThank you for teaching me the basics of academic writing and editing with proper grammar. In this course, I was introduced to the scientific panel which further enriched my knowledge.

151 - 175 of 1,903 Reviews for Writing in the Sciences

By Josh T

Jul 12, 2020

I can't recommend this course highly enough. I recently started a new role as a Science Writer so this course was highly relevant for me. Dr. Kristin Sainani manages to cover a wide range of topics related to scientific writing--from the writing process itself, to drafting a manuscript or grant application, to writing for a lay audience--using clear and interesting examples. I'll be referring to my notes from this course for many years to come.

By Stephanie E

Jun 23, 2019

This course is one of the most helpful and engaging classes I have taken ever. Professor Sainani is a very enthusiastic and clear instructor, and you can feel her positive energy and attitude towards teaching through the screen. Not only has this course helped in writing in the sciences, but I believe it has taught me tools to improve my writing in general. I much appreciate this course, and I am thrilled that I had the opportunity to take it.

By Angela P

Jul 4, 2018

This course was amazing. It’s everything I forgot from my 5 th English teacher to my MSN papers. loved that it was self paced, I got behind and was able to switch classes with ease. I made a book with all the power points to to reference. I now know how to fix the passive verb that outlook loved to highlight in my writing. Teacher was superb. Only thing I would have done different is to have fewer guess speakers, I found it a little boring .

By Verónica H C

Jun 10, 2021

I’d like to especially thank Professor Kristin Sainani for the course “Writing in the sciences” and Coursera for giving people the opportunity to globally access this kind of education. The course exceeded all my expectations; it’s such a clear, engaging and compelling course that provides several skills and useful tools in medical writing, editing of manuscripts, and science communication, among many others. I fully recommend taking it.

By Yogini D

Oct 9, 2020

The course sets a foundation to write science well. Dr. Kristin - the course mentor- does an incredible job at igniting minds of writers. She shares, based on her experiences, valuable and highly useful tips to start off writing well. She has been utmost honest in accepting the hard part of writing- even for professionals and that kind of gives a hope and assurance to the beginners. Thank you for this insightful and highly useful course.

By Parvathi N

Apr 11, 2021

This was such an amazing course! I really loved how the instructor kept the classes very engaging with her sense of humor and her passion for the subject is very visible. I love how she used really relevant examples to explain a lot of the concepts. I got a chance to contemplate on my writing skills throughout this entire course and I will apply all of the skills I have obtained during this course to all of my future writing projects.

By Lisa S

Sep 9, 2020

Very helpful course with an excellent instructor. This course will help you write scientific manuscripts that aren't so dense no one will read them and helps you understand how to critically evaluate scientific writing. I found the "lay summary" exercise particularly helpful as it is always a challenge in science to communicate with the lay public. Definitely take this course if you will be doing any scientific writing in your career.

By Rama W

Feb 8, 2020

Superb course. Teaches you everything you need to know from basics of Grammar, style, economy of writing and so much more. Kristin does an excellent job at explaining the way things ought to be, her enthusiasm makes her a great teacher. The interviews also gave great perspective. I audited this course, but I am planning on purchasing it so that I can take it again. I recommend this to anyone in the life sciences. Kudos Stanford !!

By Rasa V

Feb 23, 2021

After this course, I write an article differently - with more consideration about the clutter, punctuation, style, audience. Also, reading is easier as the author clearly defined the structure of the the scientific article. Quizzes, writing tasks and peer reviews strengthened the knowledge.

The author shared lots of her personal experience, therefore the course was practical. Thank you for making the course useful and enjoyable!

By Bruno V

Jun 28, 2020

The course is incredible. Dr Kristin Sainani elegantly guided us throughout the art of writing in sciences. The course is essential for any scientist, independent of the expertise. I had some experience in writing scientific manuscripts, and still, I gained a lot of new practical knowledge about writing. It also inspired me to write more, and hopefully, I will be able to pass this to my students in Brazil. Highly recommend it!

By Hiu Y L

Aug 6, 2021

I loved how approachable Dr. Sainani is in this course; I feel more comfortable in learning this course since I came from a music background. The course helped me to realize how much my writing skills can be translated into sharing scientific knowledge with lay audience. I appreciate the assignments and optional demo videos - they helped me witness the writing and editing processes unfold. I'm so glad that I took this course!

By Vinay S

Feb 16, 2020

This was my first MOOC, and I loved it! I am happy to say that this was my third attempt trying to complete the course (due to time restrictions earlier), and I managed to do it this time. The course content is great, and Dr. Sainani definitely is the right person to deliver the talks. I work as an editor of research manuscripts. This course has helped me edit much better now. One word to describe this course: Enlightening!

By Paravee O

Jan 15, 2021

An amazing course. Probably one of the best I have ever joined in Coursera. The professor is wonderful at teaching, fun and informative. The course focus more on the medical science, but it offer many tips on scientific writing in general. Also, I now feel more encouraged to write knowing that I'm not the only one struggling with these problems (e.g. passive voice, clustering, tense) haha. Thanks so much for this course.

By Andrea S

Jun 1, 2020

I really enjoyed this course. It was well structured, detailed, and covered a broad range of topics related to writing in the sciences. I found the peer review homework assignments to be the most helpful assignment type. The module covering writing for the average person was a particularly interesting exercise. It really helped impress upon me the importance of translating your work to make it accessible to more readers.

By Karen A F

Jan 7, 2019

Dr. Sainani's course is incredible! She explains everything in an exciting way, discussing various subjects pertinent to those who wish to pursue their academic career. I am ecologist and I think it is perfectly feasible to transpose the ideas presented by dra sainani to other areas of knowledge. I took more time to finish the course because I have a little difficulty with English, but I assure you: worth every minute!

By Kari D A

Oct 12, 2021

I highly recommend this course. It is informative and relevant for higher level academic professionals. The peer-reviewed assignments and quizzes are manageable and the grading policy is transparent. Deadlines can be postponed and navigation through the course is user friendly. In addition, the scientist who teaches and runs the course is knowledgeable in her field and clearly a skilled writer at a professional level.

By Özge Ç

An excellent and absolutely necessary course for PhD students and early science career researchers from all fields of science. Professionally planned and well-taught. I wish I had learned what this course teaches during my PhD studies. I have been away from research for a while and dearly wish to resume my career. This course was a treasure for me. Thank you Prof. Sainani. It was pleasure to have taken your course.

By Raquel M

Aug 31, 2020

The course is excellent. Dr Kristin Sainani starts with valuable guidelines regarding grammatical construction and style. She guides us to writing a scientific article and submitting it for publication. Also, the course shows us how we can communicate with the lay public and social networks. This course is useful for all researchers, whether beginners or experienced. Exercices assist in learning. Congratulations!

By Annya S

Jun 5, 2018

Wonderful critical thinking course. Having written a case report and personal statements in the past, I learned there was so much that I didn't know. This course broke writing down into goal oriented snippets and showed me what a wonderfully streamlined process it can be. I also found it lovely to be able to de-mystify the grant process as a young professional. A must course for any individual in the sciences!

By Renuka P

Jul 9, 2020

Thank you so much Dr.Kristin Sainani for this excellent course. A course covering all the topics step by step. I have started this course as a free course, as I don't know the course would be completed by me or not. But I completed the course & took the certificate only because of your pretty way of teaching. Now I want to start my career in medical writing. Thanks to Coursera also for providing this course.

By Antonio T

Apr 18, 2019

This course should be a "must" for any PhD students or prospective researchers. It gives a clear method for writing scientific research with good examples, and helps to "clear the fog" we (students) usually have when drafting our first article. It also provide a guide on how to manage workload (and writing techniques) to avoid frequent mistakes among young writers. I wish I had known this course earlier!

By Danijela P

Jun 24, 2020

Scientific writing seems so easy and simple when Dr. Kristin Sainani speaks about it! When you try it yourself, of course, it's not quite like that ... at least in the beginning :) This course allowed me to get one step (and not a small one!) closer to that goal. It helped me structure the topic in my head and make things simpler and easier - in thoughts and sentences. I am infinitely grateful for that!

By Maciej B

Jun 7, 2020

It is an excellent course, full of precious information and it was a pleasure to take part in. Some of the information were very surprising to get to know, as some teaching models of how to write papers are usually totally different (lots of clutter and passive voice). Thus, it made me feel more comfortable to change my mind about scientific writing and try to experiment on this, using gained knowledge.

By Anne T

Dec 17, 2019

I found Writing in the Sciences incredibly helpful and challenging. I wish I had known about this course when I was handed a manuscript assignment without having had any previous experience writing a journal submission. Dr. Kristin Sainani is clear and concise (and personable!) in her presentations. I highly recommend this course for anyone who is or will be writing scientifically or needs a refresher.

By Swadhin S

The course covers lots of technical aspects of writing manuscript, review, recommendation letter, and science news. The course is very helpful for biological science grad student/postdoc. There are real examples of good and bad writing from Nature/Cell/Science journals. The quizzes at the end of each module are easy—if someone carefully listens to the video. I would highly recommend taking this course.