Back to Writing in the Sciences

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Writing in the Sciences by Stanford University

AL
Jun 3, 2019

This was an amazing course that really helped me with my medical writing skills and understanding how making things clear for all audiences can help in spreading scientific knowledge across the world.

KK
Sep 14, 2020

Hello Kristin\n\nThank you for teaching me the basics of academic writing and editing with proper grammar. In this course, I was introduced to the scientific panel which further enriched my knowledge.

201 - 225 of 1,860 Reviews for Writing in the Sciences

By Jodi R

Feb 23, 2021

This was a phenomenal course.

I loved the step-by-step method for writing a scientific paper.

Dr. Sainani also did a great job lowering my anxiety by validating how challenging it is to write a scientific paper. I now break my day into smaller, more manageable chunks.

I've been much more efficient and confident in my work since taking this course.

Thank you so much.

By Meg D

May 13, 2020

I am just starting to get to the point in my career where I am taking on more writing assignments. This course really helped me understand how to organize my thoughts and clearly present the key points for a scientific experiment. The content was engaging, helpful, and relevant. I will definitely be calling on the knowledge I gained in this course in the future.

By Javier B

May 7, 2020

Excellent overview of the writing in Science. Each week a different topic is explored. In the first weeks, the students learn and practice the process of writing from style, editing, structure of the text. Half-way the course also covers the process of writing papers, reviews, grants, and how to communicate to a broader audience. I would recommend this course.

By Joy L

Highly recommend this course, I am glad to take this course at the start of my PhD. I think a big cohort can benefit from this, from uni students to early career researchers. The audio quality is good, Dr. Kristin makes academic writing/editing much more fun than other teachers I had. You can even listen to her clearly at 1.5 times the original speed, bonus!

By JoAnna P D

Aug 28, 2019

This was a fantastic course! Although I have been a medical writer for 7 years, I am always interested in learning more about writing and improving my writing skills. This course provided excellent writing tips and provided great insight into how to write and review a scientific manuscript. This course is applicable for all writers, regardless of skill level.

By Chris R

Sep 28, 2020

As a virgin to writing in the sciences this course gave me the confidence to approach the process in an organised and logical manner. It has helped me with my first lay publication where getting the science across in an easy to understand way whilst not losing any underlying messages. Thank you and I will definitely be suggesting this course to colleagues.

By Tanay B

I thoroughly enjoyed the course and its curricula. Even though I am a postdoc and have authored several scientific articles; yet I always felt that I could have made them better. Therefore, I enrolled in this course. Thanks to Kristin for being a fantastic instructor. I also enjoyed the units on plagiarism, grant writing and writing for the general audience.

By Andrea C

Sep 4, 2019

I enjoyed the 8 weeks learning of writing in the Sciences very much. The materials are very comprehensive and helpful. Give a lot of tips on different types of academic writing. And I've learned how to edit my own work and how to write clearly and concisely. I highly recommend this class and look forward to future courses on this topic or from Dr. Kristin!

By Dr.Hanif U R

Nov 29, 2019

Really a great course, I have learned many things which I haven't ever known before to be considered in technical writing and learned many more from the interviews of the great scientists and editor of different journals.

Thanks a lot, Kristin Sainani for delivering the whole course in a very best friendly and understandable way.

Wish you all the best....!

By Rapoport P

Mar 25, 2021

Для русских студентов поделюсь своим мнением: данный курс действительно хороший. Мы часто сталкиваемся с ошибками, разбираемыми в этом курсе в нашей обычной жизни, когда нас заставляют лить воду, для того чтобы объем курсовой работы или диплома был "как надо". Поняла, что то, чему меня "учили" просто портило то, как я умела писать раньше. Рекомендую!

By Pauline P

Jun 1, 2020

Super cours!

J'ai appris énormément de choses, même si j'ai déjà eu l'occasion d'écrire plusieurs articles!

Merci pour tous les conseils, exercices et examples. La diversité de types de textes est tout à fait pertinente (manuscrit, lettre de recommandation, tweet, etc.). Je n'hésiterai pas à me replonger dans mes notes dans les années qui viennent.

By uttara m

May 9, 2020

This course by Dr Kristin Sainani is excellent. She has given deep insights into effective writing. I am immensely grateful to her for sharing so many important tips. After doing this course I realized many mistakes that I was doing unknowingly. I would recommend this course to all those who want to pursue their career in sciences or related fields.

By Lattha S

Aug 16, 2021

Science writing is an essential skill for anyone in STEM, academic or not. I already have my PhD and I wish I had taken this before writing my thesis and papers. It’s full of wonderfully useful information, tips, and exercises to help improve my writing. My favorite are the modules focused on interviewing and communicating to science to laypersons.

By Ravi T

Feb 23, 2020

i like this course very much. I learn lot of new things form this course and i also appreciate the work done by various personnel & way of delivering the lectures. I think this course is very interesting and worthy for all the graduate, PG & PhD students. I'm very thankful to Stanford University for providing opportunity for such type of education.

By gitanjali r

Mar 18, 2018

Very good course for not only aspiring scientists but for everyone who writes. Before doing this course I did not realize how much unnecessary things we write. This course has taught me to be an effective writer. Thank you Stanford University and specially Dr. Kristin Sainani for being an amazing teacher.

Thanks to Coursera for bringing this course.

By Vitor L d O S

Jun 9, 2020

This course is, by far, one of the best I ever take in Coursera. Everyone should do it!

Not only is the instructor amazing, but the structure, activities and organization of the course are excellent!

By the way, the course is from the Stanford Department of Medical Sciences, but the instructor also presents many examples of physics, statistics, etc.

By Nader A

Nov 19, 2017

I really do not know how can I thank Dr. Kristin Sainani. this course taught me a lot of things. And it was wonderful. Dr. Sainani, has explained the topics with a great excitement and enthusiasm that motivates the trainer to follow the course. I wish all the best for her. Her course totally changed my attitude about writings and scientific texts.

By Tahlia P

May 4, 2021

This course was excellent. It equips you with the building blocks to construct the Burj Khalifa of manuscripts! I greatly enjoyed the structure, templates, tips and general confidence conveyed across multiple variations of scientific writing. Soft deadlines by Coursera are also extremely appreciated for clinicians squeezing these into spare time.

By Limor K

Nov 30, 2017

Excellent course! it's the first time I had the opportunity to learn all these important writing roles in an organised method. The practice exercise give the chance to take the knowledge one step forward. Thank you so much for all this effort with making such an in-depth course!, I'm sure it will be very useful for my current and future studies.

By Sampoorna R

Dec 19, 2019

A very helpful course that gives you a broad idea of the different types of 'writing' you can expect to do in science. It's easy to follow and the assignments are challenging enough that you learn without feeling too stretched beyond your means. You will need to bring a love for language and a desire to communicate. Everything else is provided.

By Fatima H

Feb 6, 2021

This was the best course I ever did. I learnt so much through this course that I feel confident I will be able to write , edit and peer review manuscripts with much enhanced capability and correctness. Thanks to Prof. Sainani for conducting it so wonderfully and making it so interesting. I hope to pick up a part-time job in Scientific editing.

By Kyla N

Apr 15, 2018

I love how Dr. Kristin Sainani addresses each topic. She has a great attitude towards helping learners and lots of examples to back up her recommendations.

I would have liked to see more tips regarding composition; the ones she gives are very useful. She also talks about the 'order' of writing a manuscript - I found this particularly helpful.

By Talgat

Oct 12, 2019

Здравствуйте, курс для меня был очень полезным, лекции, задания для самостоятельного выполнения, интервью с известными учеными все было на высоком уровне и доступно для понимания. Большое спасибо преподавателю за качественный и профессиональный курс. Буду всем рекомендовать его. И постараюсь хорошо применять полученные благодаря курсу знания.

By J P M

Jan 4, 2021

Amazing instructor and course content. The importance of effective communication in the scientific world is underrated. I think this is one of the few courses that highlights and demonstrates the importance of effective scientific communication. I think it boosted my confidence in writing science for the scientific as well as lay audience. .

By Thị H L N

May 27, 2021

This course gave me a lot of wonderful thing. Because I am not a native English, this course is not easy for me but I learnt the way to express and writing in English. Not just that, I need a critical thinking and complete my first science writing and this course was meaning to me. Thank you teacher Dr Kristin Sainani for everything you did