Back to Script Writing: Write a Pilot Episode for a TV or Web Series (Project-Centered Course)

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Script Writing: Write a Pilot Episode for a TV or Web Series (Project-Centered Course) by Michigan State University

4.4

What you’ll achieve: In this project-centered course*, you will design a series bible and write a complete pilot episode for your own unique television or web series, be it drama or comedy or something in between. You’ll learn to break down the creative process into components, and you’ll discover a structured process that allows you to produce a polished and pitch-ready script in just a few weeks. Completing this project will increase your confidence in your ideas and abilities, and you’ll feel prepared to pitch your first script and get started on your next. This is a course designed to tap into your creativity and is based in "Active Learning". Most of the actual learning takes place within your own activities - that is, writing! You will learn by doing. "Thank you so much for your direct way of teaching this course. It was encouraging for us all to creatively flow and find our own voice in writing and developing our scripts. This aspect was very important to me." Ingrid The course curriculum is simple: you’ll write, revise your work, and share feedback with your peers. I am a proponent of Experiential Learning (active learning). My lectures are short (sometimes just two minutes long) and to the point, designed in a step-by-step process essential to your success as a script writer. I will guide you but I won’t "show" you how to write. I firmly believe that the only way to become a writer is to write, write, write. “David's lecture style for this course is inspired. The videos are succinct and engaging. When I watch the lectures I feel David’s sincere desire for me to create something truly amazing. He is teaching us how to write a script, and he is providing wisdom and tools that will help us do so in a compelling way - by writing; not by watching him talk at us.” - A R Adamson What you’ll need to get started: To begin with, any basic word processor will do. During week two, you can choose to download some free scriptwriting software such as Celtx or Trelby or you may choose to purchase Final Draft, or you can continue to use your word processor and do your own script formatting. Learner Review: "I am in love with this course. Having never written a script before, or any substantive fiction since college (15 years ago) I had a small idea in my head that has now exploded into something I really believe in. David's guidance is spot on, he's his own compelling story teller, he gives you enough, and then you have to figure it out, make it happen, WRITE! WRITE! WRITE! " *About Project-Centered Courses: This is a ‘project-centered course’, which means it is designed specifically to help you complete a personally meaningful real-world project, with your instructor and a community of learners with similar goals providing guidance and suggestions along the way. By actively applying new concepts as you learn, you’ll master the course content more efficiently; you’ll also get a head start on using the skills you gain to make positive changes in your life and career. When you complete the course, you’ll have a finished project that you’ll be proud to use and share. Time: 1-2 hours of study, 30+ hours of active project work...

AA

Jun 14, 2016

David Wheeler is awesome, and I love this course! I am so glad that Coursera and Michigan State University have partnered to offer this course to those of us who have a thirst for learning! Thank you!

JF

Sep 28, 2016

Fantastic course, loved the way it walked you step by step through the process and the formatting. This course could have been ten weeks and still wouldn't be enough. Awesome hands on learning.

101 - 125 of 160 Reviews for Script Writing: Write a Pilot Episode for a TV or Web Series (Project-Centered Course)

By Brainerd P

Jul 10, 2019

I thoroughly enjoyed doing this course. I really learnt how to write a script for digital media. The sessions were really well crafted and kept us moving a step at a time towards the final goal. I was also very impressed by the sincere feedback I got from my peers. It was indeed a bunch of us learning together, a scriptwriting skill and it was a fantastic experience. I am thoroughly pleased that I am able to exit this course with 30 pages of script that have been peer-reviewed! I highly recommend this course to all budding screenplay writers!

By David L

Apr 06, 2018

This course is challenging and has pushed me to develop my ideas and writing.

By Karolina A A

Jun 17, 2019

Awesome and very good course. Thanks for them you can get very useful knowledge

By Edward H

Mar 11, 2019

I took this course out of curiosity. I just want to know if I have it in me the creative flare.

By Todor V

Dec 28, 2017

Really motivated me to sit my lazy-ass down and WRITE!

By Elyrice A

Oct 07, 2016

I learnt a lot . I am most appreciative of reviewers who spent a great deal of time reading my work, and leaving constructive comments.

By Matthew L

Apr 30, 2018

This is just what I needed to get moving! Very clear and helpful deadlines.

By Peter P

Sep 25, 2016

I enjoyed this class. It is very open and organic. Creativity is encouraged and very few restrictions and rules are imposed. I found the class to be well-taught and I looked forward to participating in every week of class.

By Ricardo P

Mar 09, 2017

Inspiring, direct, practical and very well structured.

By Tabinda H

Oct 19, 2017

This was one of the best experiences I ever had. It was truly amazing to see my script come together bit by bit, with every piece a story in itself. I would highly recommend this course to everyone out there who loves to write. It just gives you so much satisfaction.

By Rennes L T

Jul 26, 2017

A really tough module but definitely fruitful in getting you started in writing!

Jun 20, 2017

No plans to be a script writer but now have an appreciation of those so engaged. A very demanding profession with creativity on a deadline. Not for me, but respect for those so engaged. Additionally, able to watch and appreciate the structure of content ... definitely enhanced viewing and reading .. forsooth.

By meisam e

Jan 01, 2017

I Loved Dr. David Wheeler's method. I will enroll in his course/courses over and over again since I want to learn more.

By Amy A

Jun 14, 2016

Sep 02, 2017

Great course

Dec 27, 2016

I really enjoy screenwriting and this course has not only gave me some interesting points but also, help me develop my own tv show idea and start writing it. It's really good so far!

By Erica E

May 12, 2016

This is a fun and challenging course.

By Charlotte P

Oct 04, 2018

This class has motivated me to write the pilot of a story that I had in mind for a couple of weeks and I love it. Compared to other online classes, I love that we have feedback from other classmates. However, I would have liked the teacher to tell us more information on how to write a good script.

By Satyapriya K

Apr 19, 2018

Amazing course. Detailed explanations foe every task. A community that reviewed and scrutinized your work. At the end of the course I have a chiseled three act pilot and season outline

By Sara A F

Jul 25, 2016

I loved this course, it was eye opening for me. I've always loved writing but I've never studied it. taking this course helped me explore my writing more.

I totally recommend it to anyone!

By Angie M A S

Apr 04, 2019

This is a great and helpful course, but I just would like there would be some examples of what we have to do at least in the first and second week. I recommend this course for those who like to write and create new stories, and maybe in the future, make possible the real screenplay.

By Sharon E L

Apr 13, 2019

Good course, pushes students to be creative and step out of the box!

By aman g

Apr 03, 2016

Quite good introductory course on script writing, enjoyed writing my first pilot episode of my series

By David G

Feb 09, 2018

I enjoyed the class. Wish there was a little more feedback from a mentor or instructor.

By Ciera M

Dec 29, 2016

Very enjoyable course! However, I think that it would have been nice to have some more professional viewing of our work, since several of us were taking in this information for the first time.