Back to Introduction to Google SEO

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Google SEO by University of California, Davis

Ever wonder how major search engines such as Google, Bing and Yahoo rank your website within their searches? Or how content such as videos or local listings are shown and ranked based on what the search engine considers most relevant to users? Welcome to the world of Search Engine Optimization (SEO). This course is the first within the SEO Specialization and it is intended to give you a taste of SEO with some fun practices to get seen in Google. You will be introduced to the foundational elements of how the most popular search engine, Google, works, how the SEO landscape is constantly changing and what you can expect in the future. You discuss core SEO strategies and tactics used to drive more organic search results to a specific website or set of websites, as well as tactics to avoid to prevent penalization from Google. We hope this taste of SEO, will entice you to continue through the Specialization!...

Aug 9, 2016

Great course, very informative!! I can tell the classes are starting to be structured differently though. Not too much meat to this first course... reserving my opinion, until I go through a few more.

AP

Jul 10, 2020

The way of explaining the terms is excellent and content is very good . I leant many new things from this course. Going to do all the courses of this specialization. Thanks for the wonderful content.

101 - 125 of 2,407 Reviews for Introduction to Google SEO

By Nathan H

May 2, 2020

Outstanding introductory course for SEO! I have taken other intro to SEO courses, but this course provides the most relevant information on SEO best practices. I especially enjoyed how the course takes users through the history of how the internet was created, through the creation of search engines and their more recent updates. I now not only understand the most important ranking factors and SEO best practices, but also why those factors are important, and how they came to be.

By Amanda v

May 14, 2016

Course objectives are clear and concise. Course instructor's voice is upbeat and she articulates well. Visuals are simple and focus on key concepts. Course contents follows a logical progressive flow from easy to more complex concepts. Small chunks of information makes it easy to follow. This is an excellent course and definitely worth while the investment. For me, It has sparked a keen interest in the field of SEO and it has build my confidence to proceed to the next level.

By lovely A

Aug 7, 2021

Incredibly useful and very informative, also beginner friendly as well. Recommend anyone in e-commerce to take this course, it teaches and gives you tools that will take your business to the next level. I'm very happy with this first course and I'm already signed up for the specialization. You can totally pursue a successful career in SEO after this specialization, it is very complete and not something you'd learn in college or university. This is the stuff of the future!

By Daniel P S

Jun 28, 2017

A good overview of what to look forward to. I went into this knowing only that it is an important part of the new age of marketing, but I can now see that it is much more than that. It reminds you of why search engines like Google and Yahoo even got started in the first place; a way to catalog, store and retrieve useful information, from any where in the world, in a matter of seconds. It has reignited my interest in the endless possibilities, of what the future may hold.

By Utkarsh D

Apr 20, 2020

The course provided by UC Davis is just out of the world, I really wanna thank UC Davis to providing us this wonderful course for the student like me who have no technical background, I really liked the content they provide and a special thanks to our instructor Ms/Mrs. Rebekah mah who explains each and everything in a very easy way such that I didn't face any problem at all in understanding the technical terms, once again thank you from the bottom of my heart.

By Hasari T A

Jun 8, 2016

A course offering the possibility to start practicing from the third week has providede me with a deep sense of purpose and increased my overall expectations of the Specialization.

Having professor Rebekah May is also a blessing. She has been in the industry for about 8 years (I don't remember the precise amount of time) and that provides the subjects with a deeper insight from her personal experience. A Specialization to complete, thank you Coursera.

By akash r

Aug 30, 2020

This course will give you detail knowledge about how SEO started and how google uses algorithm to give rankings to sites according to their relevence and keyword.This course also give you knowledge about previous practices done by google and how they improved the search and their upgrades and how they penalize a site and how you can protect your site from being penalized.This course is really awesome,it will definitely enhance your knowledge on SEO.

By Amy R

Apr 28, 2018

It is a very comprehensive introductory course which makes clear the whole concept of 'Search Engine Optimization' from both a technical and industry angle. By touching on all the main areas of the SEO practice you actually come away with some useful understanding of how to do SEO even though it is still a simple introduction course. It answers all the main questions about and SEO and is definitely worth it to see if SEO is a good fit for you.

By Gaurav S

Feb 8, 2018

Week 1 is irrelevant for people who look SEO as an additional skill set rather than a profession. Content wise Week 2 and 3 are superb. Before doing this course I thought I know enough about SEO, but now I realize it was just the tip of the iceberg. Like other streams, SEO is also a science and this course has very well captured nitty-gritty of concept. Earlier I used to see the google result, now I analyze them. . Thanks again!

Gaurav Singh

Nov 25, 2016

I signed up to audit the first 5 courses in this specialization. This review is for the first 3 of these courses taught by Rebekah May.

I don't know that SEO is truly simple and logical or if it just appears this way because of how clear and easy to listen to Ms. May is. I do feel she has supplied a lot of very useful information, pointed to a lot of great tools and websites., and am already making improvements as a result of her classes.

By Snehal M

Apr 14, 2020

Excellent material. Enthusiastic to go ahead and learn more. Very different from traditional courses, where it starts directly from application. Understanding the foundation and fundamentals of Search Engines and progressing thereon helped to establish a holistic start to this wide subject! My purpose was to write better content in a way that will be helpful to users looking for information and this has certainly helped me. Thank you.

By Andreas M

Apr 4, 2016

Nice introduction and great overview of SEO.

While criticized by some I think it is great to get some insights of what careers are available in this field. For myself, I am not looking for a career in this field, but getting to know how to present and approach things based on different circumstances provided me with great pointers of how to communicate my ideas effectively to other people.

Thanks, looking forward to the other courses

By Fatima A

Oct 11, 2020

The course content is amazing and I would like to thank the instructors from the bottom of my heart for making the learning journey easy and fun. I didn't know so much went into SEO prior to this course. Thanks for the in depth coverage of the topic. Also the assignments at the end of each module are designed as such to test the understanding of the learner. The experience has been really amazing. Highly recommended. Thank you.

By Irem D

Jul 18, 2017

It was a very comprehensive, step by step course to start SEO without any prior knowledge. Ms.May goes in a very nice pace and that helps you understand better. The fact that she enriched the instructive materials by adding related articles and videos is definately a plus to gaining a strong perspective on the history and backstory of how and why SEO was formed. I would reccomend to anyone who wants to start learning about SEO!

By Chandraprabha M S

Jun 18, 2022

I​n love with this course. It is so well designed that even beginners will find it easy to follow and interesting. A lot of real examples and references to actual events are included making this course very very intriguing. Totally recommend it to learners seeking a detailed introduction to Google SEO!

T​hanks to the course team from UC Davis for their efforts into building this simple, effective and engaging learning content.

By Lee B

Dec 18, 2016

I found the course appealing, especially the set up of the combination of video lessons with correlating reading/video materials. Though I certainly have a lot to learn, I feel Rebekah May's lessons offered clear, focused objectives that helped me to "get my feet wet" in learning about SEO. If I had one request, I would love for the discussion forum to be more interactive, especially in the early stages of the course.

By Stefanie T

Oct 10, 2019

Fabulous introduction into SEO. Though it took a little while for me to get interested and invested in the content, I quickly became fascinated with SEO. I am grateful for the slew of resources provided, and made sure to follow many of the blogs that were linked to the course. The course completely shifted my opinion about SEO, and I left the course with a more positive outlook on SEO and on my future as a marketer.

By Ali S

Oct 12, 2020

I am so grateful to this course's instructor as with their effective methods i managed to learn a lot about the bigger image of how SEO works and how a prospect learner can open her/his path to become a SEO specialist and pursue a professional future in this field. I'm really looking forward to finish my specialization and i also highly recommend others which are looking to pursue career in digital media.

By Mohamed S

Jun 25, 2022

if you are looking for SEO courses and you have no idea were to look or where to start and you are reading my review now, then I should tell you I just finished the first course and took some actions based on what I have learned on my blog and is saw great numbers in my lighthouse metrics I love this course they know what they are talking about, and you will be put in the right track for more research

By Meghan C

May 14, 2018

This course is a good overview into SEO. I decided to audit the course in order to learn some on-the-fly SEO for my personal website and was so intrigued by the content and career opportunities that I enrolled in the certificate course. After earning my certificate, I plan to build up a portfolio and try to land a job in SEO, so thanks for helping me figure out what I never knew I always wanted to do!

By Emanuel M O

Mar 8, 2020

The course was exceptional, I got to understand so much about SEO than what I thought before. I love the teaching structure and the questions and quiz they have in every chapter, This made focus and learn everything serious. I Hope I will continue taking these courses because I know this will be door opening for my future. I recommend to anyone who is looking for an SEO course. This is the best.

By Génesis M

Aug 24, 2018

¡Excellent course! I learned a lot. More than I though. Actually I'm really surprised because I didn't suspect I could learn so much online. The videos are really helpful and the way Rebekah explains is very clear.

I'm very happy about findind and completing this course

I was supposed to learn just the basics about SEO, but at the end I learnt a great deal about digital marketing, not only SEO

By Jeffrey G

Oct 14, 2016

This course really opened a lot of new possibilities for me. I now understand better how I can reach my target audience and share information that I know will help people using SEO. I hope that this course will reach more people looking for a skill that is very indispensable in this ever growing online based generation. Thank you very much for the opportunity of learning from experts.

By Lyka P

May 5, 2022

A very helpful introductory course! I enjoyed how the modules are structured, and how beginners in SEO are first briefed about the history of SEO. However, there were some parts that were quite unfamiliar to me (i.e., SEO jargons that non-professionals may find confusing), but researching further about them extended my learning anyway. Thank you so much for this very informative course!

By Nerinette R

Oct 24, 2020

I love how the initial few videos gives real life examples of SEO Experts, and they discuss what goes on in their capacities at their choice of jobs. It is a good technique to learn if you are really interested and invested in the skills you are trying to learn. It gave a lot of meaningful information, provided insightful questions and research to read up on and to get familiar with.