Back to Introduction to Self-Determination Theory: An approach to motivation, development and wellness

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Self-Determination Theory: An approach to motivation, development and wellness by University of Rochester

Self-determination theory (SDT) is an empirically based theory of motivation and psychological development that is especially focused on the basic psychological needs that promote high quality motivation and wellness, and how they are supported in social contexts. SDT details how the styles and strategies of motivators such as parents, teachers, coaches, managers, and health-care professionals can promote or undermine engagement and the positive consequences that follow from it. In this course, Professor Richard Ryan, co-founder of the theory, will provide an overview of SDT with special emphasis on how autonomy, competence, and relatedness supports and facilitates behavioral persistence, quality of relationships, and healthy developmental processes, among other topics. He will also discuss the convergence of behavioral phenomenological and neuropsychological aspects of autonomy within SDT research. In addition, he will illustrate practical applications of SDT, with emphasis on educational, work, sport, healthcare and psychotherapy settings....

AZ
Dec 19, 2020

Amazing course to learn about human motivation, development and wellnes. Also, for getting to know about research and resourses to promote them in different settings like education, sport or work.

CM
Nov 17, 2020

This course is very helpful. Once finished you will be able to fully understand the SDT. Richard Ryan is a great speaker. He explained the concepts very well. Thank you for this course!

26 - 50 of 95 Reviews for Introduction to Self-Determination Theory: An approach to motivation, development and wellness

By Shelby I

Jun 5, 2020

Excellent course! The content was organized and presented in a clear way which told the narrative of SDT. Dr. Ryan is great at introducing concepts and providing examples from the literature to give the listener the big picture.

By Lara M

Apr 14, 2020

I really enjoyed hearing about many different areas of SDT directly from Dr. Richard Ryan. I felt the sessions broadened my existing SDT knowledge into other areas of focus. I highly recommend this course.

By Vangeepuram R M

Mar 21, 2019

I thank the mentor wholeheartedly for explaining how motivation affects various facets of life. His style of explanation is engaging and helps in introspecting oneself thoroughly.

By Leticia B T

Sep 7, 2020

I absolutely loved this course, I talked about it and explained the theory to most of my close friends, it definetly changed my life for the better!

By marcos a

May 4, 2020

NIce one thanks! Very very useful readings and research for personal and professional life.

Thank you very much. Marcos

By Lidia C

Jan 20, 2020

Great overview of self-deternination theory. Would be great to see more examples of it's practical application.

By Derek S

Oct 18, 2019

Incredibly insightful, ideas you're aware of explained in a manner you're probably not aware of.

Highly recommended

By Dr. S M

Jul 21, 2020

Outstanding course. Giving 5 stars because that's the max possible score one can give. This is a 10-stars course.

By Diana A H V

Aug 30, 2020

I loved this course it gave me a big perspective about the theory and its application in different contexts.

By Monica O

Mar 30, 2019

I work in the education field and SDT is a game changer. I will encourage my colleagues to take this course.

By Monica B

I've learned the theory behind things I have understood to be true for a long time. Great course.

By Prabha R

May 14, 2020

One of the best course and every individual must go through irrespective to their profession.

By Miroslav Y

Aug 30, 2020

A very informative course. Very useful for academic work. It's hard to take such long tests.

By Ceres P d O C

Sep 8, 2020

The course is wonderful... I wish there was an intermediate and an advanced course as well.

By Amruta S

It was an excellent course! Got to learn a very novel and useful approach to motivation!

By Manuel F D L C O

Mar 23, 2019

Excelente curso, muy recomendado y aplicable a todos los contextos de la vida diaria

By Ummulkhair O - W

Aug 3, 2020

I really enjoyed the course and I have been enlightened far more than I thought.

By Nancy H M

Jun 25, 2020

Very interesting, addictive and important knowledge of great value is obtained.

By Luis M

Aug 2, 2020

Muy completo y exigente curso que vale la pena realizar si deseas conocer SDT

By Hugo V P

Apr 26, 2020

Beautiful! Thank you Professor Ryan! It is such a pleasure learning with you.

By Mauro T

Apr 30, 2020

dr. Ryan is very engaging. the course was extremely interesting and useful!

By Laila A S

Jul 29, 2019

wonderful content. I'm looking forward to researching the topic myself!

By Özge K

Jul 7, 2019

It was an amazing overview to see everything about SDT in a nutshell!

By Colin W S

Mar 13, 2019

useful and simple introduction to SDT

It's also pretty motivating.

By Jai F

Nov 28, 2019

This is a great primer on an amazing theoretical framework.