Back to Calculus: Single Variable Part 1 - Functions

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Calculus: Single Variable Part 1 - Functions by University of Pennsylvania

Calculus is one of the grandest achievements of human thought, explaining everything from planetary orbits to the optimal size of a city to the periodicity of a heartbeat. This brisk course covers the core ideas of single-variable Calculus with emphases on conceptual understanding and applications. The course is ideal for students beginning in the engineering, physical, and social sciences. Distinguishing features of the course include: 1) the introduction and use of Taylor series and approximations from the beginning; 2) a novel synthesis of discrete and continuous forms of Calculus; 3) an emphasis on the conceptual over the computational; and 4) a clear, dynamic, unified approach. In this first part--part one of five--you will extend your understanding of Taylor series, review limits, learn the *why* behind l'Hopital's rule, and, most importantly, learn a new language for describing growth and decay of functions: the BIG O....

YG
Jul 2, 2018

Very well structured for a refresher course. Thank you Professor Ghrist for your effort in putting this course together. A little additional outside research was required but well worth the effort.

NL
Feb 9, 2021

Excellent introduction to Calculus, I wanted to review the material to tutor my child but I am very happy that I learned a whole new way of looking at Calculus.\n\nThank you so much Prof. Ghrist.

151 - 175 of 444 Reviews for Calculus: Single Variable Part 1 - Functions

By John H

Dec 21, 2019

Great course. Really good videos and the exercises seem to be at a really good level. Thank you.

By Adam O

Mar 29, 2017

This was very explanatory and helpful. I would recommend it to many of my friends and colleagues.

By Adam J

Feb 22, 2017

Professor Ghrist is a badass. Re-ordering things to put Taylor series first is a brilliant idea!

By Nesrine Z

Apr 10, 2020

I really enjoyed the course, it was very helpful to understand the Taylor series. Many thanks.

By Lijia L

Feb 26, 2017

I like this course very much. Prof. Robert Ghrist is humorous, and the mentor is very helpful!

By Jiaming L

Aug 26, 2019

The course is perfect and the professor put all his effort on the program. It did help a lot.

By faraz g

Apr 30, 2020

It was really useful. But, the tests were very hard. I did enjoy this course. Thank you all.

By Sabhrant S

Apr 7, 2020

I liked the difficulty of the questions. Very good course. Thank you sir for your hard work.

By CMC

Jun 26, 2018

The course is rigorous. I managed to learn something about Big-O that I did not know before.

By 黎健钊

May 1, 2017

learn a lot about calculus which is different from China Calculus Book, Thank you so much...

By Jerry M

Dec 26, 2016

This is an excellent course! I enjoyed the problem sets and the Bonus Lectures. Well Done!

By Ash K

Jan 25, 2021

Very beautifully taught by Robert Sir! The visualizations and bonus material were awesome!

By Carlos A G R

Jul 7, 2020

Excellent course. Thank you very much for providing this course. And for sharing knowledge

By Zhu L

Aug 19, 2018

This is an excellent course, thank you professor, your analysis process helps me a lot!

By Huang-Yu C

Mar 22, 2018

I learn a lot by participating in the class! Thank you professor~ and also thanks UPenn

By Jairnic13 p

Jul 10, 2020

This is an exceptional course. I learned about Calculus from another perspective here.

By Ian C

Apr 14, 2020

I didn't have the time to complete it, but this is an excellent and worthwhile course

By Much Z

Jan 14, 2019

I THINK THIS IS VERY HELPFUL FOR ME.THANKS FOR TEACHER'S TEACH AND COURSERA'S FAVOUR.

By Guanni Q

Aug 28, 2018

The Pre-calculus is really helpful and meaningful. It deeps my understanding of math.

By Paras J

Jan 10, 2017

The course material was balanced and the Assignments questions were well selected.

By Walter C G V

Sep 19, 2017

MUY BUEN CURSO EXCELENTE PRESENTACIÓN DE LA INFORMACIÓN PARA LAS EVALUACIONES.

Jan 16, 2019

Excellent course. A little bit of toughness but quite enjoyable and rewarding.

By 杨佳熙

Jun 21, 2016

the first four session is free which is econmic friendly. show u my respect :)

By Zhenkai B

Aug 30, 2020

I think this course is good for the learner who wants to begin with calculus.

By E G