Back to Calculus: Single Variable Part 1 - Functions

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Calculus: Single Variable Part 1 - Functions by University of Pennsylvania

Calculus is one of the grandest achievements of human thought, explaining everything from planetary orbits to the optimal size of a city to the periodicity of a heartbeat. This brisk course covers the core ideas of single-variable Calculus with emphases on conceptual understanding and applications. The course is ideal for students beginning in the engineering, physical, and social sciences. Distinguishing features of the course include: 1) the introduction and use of Taylor series and approximations from the beginning; 2) a novel synthesis of discrete and continuous forms of Calculus; 3) an emphasis on the conceptual over the computational; and 4) a clear, dynamic, unified approach. In this first part--part one of five--you will extend your understanding of Taylor series, review limits, learn the *why* behind l'Hopital's rule, and, most importantly, learn a new language for describing growth and decay of functions: the BIG O....

YG

Jul 03, 2018

Very well structured for a refresher course. Thank you Professor Ghrist for your effort in putting this course together. A little additional outside research was required but well worth the effort.

KR

Aug 18, 2020

Very good and challenging material! This motivated me to do better in my Calculus Courses. Would definitely have more of these courses soon, as this is suited for higher mathematics in college.

101 - 125 of 399 Reviews for Calculus: Single Variable Part 1 - Functions

By Rui F

Sep 17, 2018

Excellent course with appropriate difficulty. Professor's speech is very clear. This is extremely helpful for non-english speaking students like me.

By Mohamed K E

Dec 17, 2015

amazing class even for an experienced student like myself , i had many gaps in my understanding of calculus that was filled by this class

By Matei B

Apr 05, 2020

Very well constructed course. I recommend it to all high-school students that want to develop their standard mathematical knowledge

By ASHWANI K J

Jan 11, 2016

This course really boost up the knowledge of Calculus with depth of understanding.

The quiz of challenges were really awesome.

By JORGE E M L V

Mar 18, 2019

ES MUY BUENO ESTE CURSO DE VERDAD QUE SE APRENDE MUCHO AQUÍ, LO RECOMIENDO BASTANTE YA QUE TIENE CONTENIDOS MUY INTERESANTES

By Eric H

Jun 18, 2017

Lectures are clear and well presented, slides are dynamic and very well done. Prof Ghrist put together an excellent course.

By Jarrod K

Nov 11, 2016

Fantastic applied mathematics course for students interested in engineering. Extremely challenging but amazingly rewarding.

By 邹文平

Thank you so much. Your courses are interesting and really get me engaged in Calculus which I have found difficult so far.

By Фесенко Г Е

May 20, 2017

Great course, thank you! Easy explanations for complecated math theorems is exactly what I wanted to see in online course.

By Noe G S G

Apr 27, 2016

Mr. Robert Ghrist is an excellent teacher. It's a dificult course.,You wil need to practice very much. But you can do it.

By Irina Š

May 05, 2020

Great course! Thank you Professor Ghrist for being a great teacher and giving us the right intuition for every lesson.

By Zeda L

Jun 13, 2017

Excellent!Professor makes it so easy for me to understand and learn the difficult part of this course. Thanks a lot!

By Kevin S

Challenging and entertaining as well.

Personally, I must learn to utilize the forums as I continue in these courses.

By Yuji N

Oct 28, 2016

I liked these fancy lecture videos in this course! It's really fun to learn and yet I can learn an advanced stuffs.

By oximas

Jan 28, 2020

this is a great course, it talks about a lot of important points in calculus and I really got a lot of value of it

By Ujjwal K

Jan 04, 2018

I sincerely thank the professors and the coursera.org team for bringing out to the public this excellent course.

By Zheng J Y

Jan 29, 2019

It's a very nice course. I strongly recommend it no matter who your are, as long as you what to learn calculus.

By Yalçın C K

May 29, 2018

This approach of defining taylor series and using them to study limits , function etc is realy a great idea:)

By Brandon Y

Jul 05, 2020

This course helped me to rationalize calculus concepts in ways not taught by my high school calculus course.

By Xiaoming J

May 22, 2017

Very good organized and I especially like the exercises in this course which is both challenging and doable.

By Tom W

Jul 08, 2018

very interesting and fun course! it's not an easy course. but it worths the challenge. highly recommended!!

By Hyosik M

Jun 13, 2020

Awesome lecture!. If I could get the explanation about challenging problems, it could be the best lecture.

By SUBRAMANIAN R S

Oct 06, 2019

COURSE IS VERY GOOD

I LIKED THE WAY OF TEACHING AND THE PROBLEMS IN THE HOMEWORK AND QUIZ SECTION

By Benjamin N

Dec 03, 2019

Passionate, heart-felt teaching combined with challenging homework make this a course worth investing in.

By Xiyang S

Mar 19, 2019

Great course series to learn, thanks for the work of the staff! Hope to study Multi Variable series soon.