Back to Calculus: Single Variable Part 1 - Functions

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Calculus: Single Variable Part 1 - Functions by University of Pennsylvania

Calculus is one of the grandest achievements of human thought, explaining everything from planetary orbits to the optimal size of a city to the periodicity of a heartbeat. This brisk course covers the core ideas of single-variable Calculus with emphases on conceptual understanding and applications. The course is ideal for students beginning in the engineering, physical, and social sciences. Distinguishing features of the course include: 1) the introduction and use of Taylor series and approximations from the beginning; 2) a novel synthesis of discrete and continuous forms of Calculus; 3) an emphasis on the conceptual over the computational; and 4) a clear, dynamic, unified approach. In this first part--part one of five--you will extend your understanding of Taylor series, review limits, learn the *why* behind l'Hopital's rule, and, most importantly, learn a new language for describing growth and decay of functions: the BIG O....

YG

Jul 2, 2018

Very well structured for a refresher course. Thank you Professor Ghrist for your effort in putting this course together. A little additional outside research was required but well worth the effort.

NL

Feb 9, 2021

Excellent introduction to Calculus, I wanted to review the material to tutor my child but I am very happy that I learned a whole new way of looking at Calculus.

Thank you so much Prof. Ghrist.

101 - 125 of 499 Reviews for Calculus: Single Variable Part 1 - Functions

By Leonardo G

Apr 13, 2020

Fue una grandiosa experiencia, los ejercicios me permitieron afianzar mis conocimientos en el cálculo y desarrollar habilidades como resolución de problemas en el abordaje de las situaciones de reto.

By Mengyun Z

Jun 14, 2016

The lectures are delivered in a clear and straightforward manner. Videos do a good job in walking me through the key points related to the topic. And the exercises were well designed to capture the

By Haniyeh B

Sep 28, 2020

As a mathematics student in high school who just wanted to learn and explore more in calculus and university math this was a great first step to start with. Can't wait to go for chapter 2!!!

By Vishvas H P

The course is awesome ,I learn lot from this course . Taylor's series and its applications to find limits is very good. Big-O is very useful. Thanks for giving such a wonderful course.

By Stephen w

Jun 2, 2018

This course is difficult, and sometimes is not easy to know how to correct the homework questions since there are no analysis of them and the answers in the forum are not quite complete.

By Joseph E V

Jun 2, 2020

Very Informative course and easy to catch. Although knowledge on the subject is a prerequisite before taking this. Not advisable to those with no knowledge whatsoever in calculus.

By Yan X

Jul 26, 2020

Very good refresh course for calculus. Content could be tough and require a lot of thinking. But I learned a lot or reviewed a lot about the calculus concept in my college year.

By Edwin L

Aug 2, 2020

Wonderful course. I can't even remember when was the last time that I was challenged in this way. Congratulations. Great content, great videos, great practice, great challenges.

By Devarshi P

Very creative way of teaching one of the most important and difficult applied math topic. The course is taught differently then traditional textbook and is challenging as well.

By Ning L

Oct 28, 2016

What can I say? It is so good that I watch the lectures when I have dinner alone. Prof Ghrist absolutely has presented calculus so well that it becomes such an entertainment!

By Sagar G

Nov 30, 2018

Great UI and explanation.Started with the Engg. maths and taking it to high school and for the Developer like me Big O is something which introduced in a appropriate way..:)

By Pietro R

Jun 16, 2018

I easily understood concept that i never understood before. I'd say that this is the perfecto goal of any possible course: make understandable the not-easily-understandab

By Bongani P

Jul 14, 2017

This is one of the best mathematics courses I have ever taken. The lectures are straight to the point and the homework's are very very challenging. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

By jing s

Sep 1, 2020

I learned a lot from this course.With animation to explain the formula,makes it easily to be understood.The learning of calculus laid the foundation for my future study.

By Dl M

Aug 7, 2020

I have already taken it once. I am taking it again now. A wonderful course. I am always amazed at how clear Prof. Ghrist's explanations are. Thanks for this course.

By Catherine C

Sep 30, 2020

It really gets you to think but stick with it and it is doable! There is enough information and support in the videos if you watch and listen carefully.

By Wolfe G

Feb 17, 2017

A little scary to start with Taylor series, but once mastered, it gives a depth of understanding not given by other MOOCs I have found on the subject.

By Wenkai L

Jan 8, 2016

This course is very great and helpful. However, I think the course should provide more exercises to help students comprehend the new knowledge better.

By Alvin L

Jun 16, 2017

Great lecturer. The quiz questions can get pretty tough, at least for me. I found the explanations of Taylor series clearer than any I had in school.

By Rui F

Sep 17, 2018

Excellent course with appropriate difficulty. Professor's speech is very clear. This is extremely helpful for non-english speaking students like me.

By Tom B

May 28, 2022

This is a fabulous course. The professor uses Taylor Series to help us deepen our understanding of how calculus works. It's awesome.

By Mohamed K E

Dec 16, 2015

amazing class even for an experienced student like myself , i had many gaps in my understanding of calculus that was filled by this class

By Howard K

Dec 19, 2020

I'm jealous of my friends who went to Penn for having a professor as good as prof/g. He doesn't just spit out math - he really teaches.

By camillo s

Dec 19, 2020

very well structured intro to the subject. as non-native english speaker i particularly appreciated prof. ghrists clear pronunciation.