Back to Sleep: Neurobiology, Medicine, and Society

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Sleep: Neurobiology, Medicine, and Society by University of Michigan

The objective of this course is to give students the most up-to-date information on the biological, personal, and societal relevance of sleep. Personal relevance is emphasized by the fact that the single best predictor of daytime performance is the quality of the previous night's sleep. The brain actively generates sleep, and the first section of the course is an overview of the neurobiological basis of sleep control. The course provides cellular-level understanding of how sleep deprivation, jet lag, and substances such as alcohol, ,caffeine, and nicotine alter sleep and wakefulness. The second section of the course covers sleep-dependent changes in physiology and sleep disorders medicine. Particular emphasis will be placed on disorders of excessive sleepiness, insomnia, and sleep-dependent changes in autonomic control. Chronic sleep deprivation impairs immune function and may promote obesity. Deaths due to all causes are most frequent between 4:00 and 6:00 a.m., and this second section of the class highlights the relevance of sleep for preventive medicine. The societal relevance of sleep will be considered in the final section of the class. In an increasingly complex and technologically oriented society, operator-error by one individual can have a disastrous negative impact on public health and safety. Fatigue-related performance decrements are known to have contributed as causal factors to nuclear power plant failures, transportation disasters, and medical errors....

HN
Jul 5, 2019

to tell the truth, this is the ever first online class I have ever learnt. This is so amazing, useful for a neurologist like me. Love this and still wait for an advanced course of this online class

VR
Oct 19, 2020

As someone who is starting a PsyD this upcoming year I really enjoyed and learned a great amount of info from this course. i highly recommend the course and applaud the instructors and researchers.

26 - 50 of 88 Reviews for Sleep: Neurobiology, Medicine, and Society

By Alexis B

Aug 12, 2018

This is a very good course that bring you an update to the current evidence of sleep and help you to understands the mechanic and purpose of sleep.

By Lisanul H

Dec 4, 2020

I really loved this course . I recommend everyone who are taking this course to take the honors sections because they will definitely enrich you.

By Vidisha M

Apr 27, 2020

Amazing course! Loved it. Just please provide notes and slides. Thank you so much all the instructors and the entire team. Highly recommended.

By Manvi J

Jan 8, 2021

I have earned sincere knowledge that could only be transmitted by experienced professors and researchers, thanks for the ultimate experience.

By Ramón H

Mar 17, 2020

This course is a complete and wide vision about a very important theme. I have any doubt, so, I encourage to take this very useful course.

By Nimra I

Aug 26, 2019

This is good enough to understand about the basic of sleeping.. Everyone should take this course it has good knowledge.Teachers are nice.

By SUSHIL K S V

May 30, 2019

One of the best courses on Coursera and among the best ones that is from the University of Michigan on this platform. More this way!!

By Esenkeldiev B A

Dec 27, 2020

this course is very inteligible course, also it help my profeciency of neurology, i sugges this course for all of you

By Peter V

Nov 12, 2019

This has been a very informative course and I am appreciative for the opportunity to journey through this material.

By faina k

Apr 11, 2020

Отличный курс для изучения основ медицины сна. Понятные лекции. Мотивирует к дальнейшему изучению этой темы

By Andrea S

Dec 31, 2020

Very well-explained, highly professional lecturers and a great deep overview of the topic. Thank you!

By Mohammed M A

Jan 13, 2019

An excellent course designed to address real life problems of sleeping disorders. Thank you all!

By Duane F

Feb 19, 2018

I thoroughly enjoyed this course and look forward to continuing my education on the subject.

By kishore k

Mar 5, 2019

It was really useful for me to know about the science behind why and how we actually sleep.

By Maeve M

Sep 27, 2020

Excellent course - Comprehensive knowledge from experts in a highly digestible format.

By Jenny

Apr 21, 2020

really good - fantastically knowledgeable teachers, evidence based and interesting.

By Hussein A

Feb 6, 2020

Grateful to University of Michigan for such wonderful course that I learned a lot

By Wiarathis

Mar 29, 2020

I love coursera is important for me to improve myself every day, Thank you.

By Kada B

Dec 10, 2017

my best MOOC never seen in sleep medicine, Thanks a lot for this great work

By DIANA R

Dec 23, 2020

Amazing!!! Thank you so much to every professor and medical professional.

By Chalapati J

Jan 1, 2020

Has changed the way I plan my sleep. Very good course, thank you.

By Carlos A M G

Incredibly informative and applicable to clinical practice!

By Fiona K

Feb 20, 2020

A great course with knowledgeable and interesting speakers.

By Ковеленова М В

Jan 11, 2020

Extremely useful knowledge to everyone. Thanks a lot

By M C S

Dec 22, 2020

great course for people intrested in neurobiology