Back to Gender, Family, and Social Change in Contemporary South Korea

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Gender, Family, and Social Change in Contemporary South Korea by Yonsei University

This course examines the transformation of Korean society beginning around the turn of the 20th century to contemporary times. In particular, it explores how shifting categories of masculinity, and by contrast, femininity have impacted upon, and in turn been influenced by social, cultural, and political change. Using multiple disciplinary lenses, we will critically examine how gender intersects with political, social, and economic developments starting with the Confucianization of Korean society during the Joseon Dynasty (1392-1910) up to the contemporary moment of globalization and neoliberal reform. The class will draw on a variety of topics such as traditional views of women, religion, race, class, education, patriarchy, sexuality, imperialism, modernity, war, globalization, the diaspora, among others. Special attention will be placed on the historical, transnational and transdisciplinary connections....

CB

Feb 21, 2018

Excellent course. I strongly recommend it for anyone interested in Korean culture. I took it because I am writing about KPOP and sexuality but I learnt much more and am really glad I did it.

JQ

May 28, 2017

Interesting course, especially to learn of Korea today in comparison to 50 years ago when I lived there about a year. Fascinating to see the changes socially. Thanks so much!

1 - 24 of 24 Reviews for Gender, Family, and Social Change in Contemporary South Korea

By Nino D

Jan 08, 2018

I highly recommend taking the course to anyone who wishes to learn more about Gender, Family and Social Change in Contemporary South Korea. The lectures were very interesting and comprehensive. I enjoyed watching and reading materials and, also, writing assignments very much! I am sure you will be as satisfied as I am after you finish this course.

By Juan S S A

Aug 07, 2017

This is a wonderful course to understand Korean culture. For everyone who is interested in the success of Korea, its economic development, education model and social changes; this course provide a solid and wide introduction with historical perspective to understand the evolution of the country, focusing on gender roles, traditional family conception, the profound confucian heritage, sexuality construction, women empowerment movements and evolution of Korea during the XX century.

Instructors Hyun Mee Kim & Yoo Theodore Jun made an amazing job preparing the material and explaining the most important aspects of the evolution of the country and the historical background behind all the social realities of Korea. The strategy of the course consists mainly in exposing an important social matter, provide the historical background and additional material to go deeper, focus on causes and consequences and contrast the past with the present. Students are asked for a personal analysis based on the exposed material to ensure a good understanding of each topic.

Congratulations to Yonsei University for its courses. Well-developed, stunning instructors and interesting approach to ensure learning. Thank you so much.

By Catherine H

Dec 22, 2018

I really enjoyed this class!! It really gives valuable insight to why the Korean societal structure is the way that it is, from a long-standing historical standpoint up to modern day ideas and opinions. I would highly recommend this class!

By Rae C R

Apr 19, 2020

I learned so much and enjoyed the course. I will definitely recommend this to my peers. Anyone can take it and those who finish will be able to understand women’s role in the South Korean society and how far it has developed.

By Colette B

Feb 21, 2018

By JOHN Q

May 28, 2017

By Juan S R G

Oct 04, 2019

I loved this course, I'm so thankful for this, I had the chance to get close to the Korean culture from a completely different perspective.

By Thanyastree C

This is the best course ever. I would like to recommend for those who want to know more and learn about the Korean culture in depth:)

By Robin S K

Aug 10, 2017

Excellent information, especially the historical background of Korea and its influence on societal culture.

By Thainá R

Dec 25, 2017

This is a very great course I'd like to recommend to everyone who is interested about Korea society.

By Seonghyun P

Apr 04, 2019

A great overview of current issues that South Korea and its people have to deal with.

By Karen Q

Oct 04, 2018

A good history and issues surrounding gender in Korea.

By Eva W

Feb 03, 2019

A lot of work but 100% worth it.

By FRANCESCA N

May 22, 2020

Very interesting!

By stephanie

Mar 25, 2020

Amazing!

By Elisabeth J

The content is very interesting. There are many aspect included to show a comprehensive and multi-dimensional picture of the Gender and Family in South Korea. Sadly, that's also one of the problems of this course: there is too much content, and sometimes it didn't feel like the topics within the same week are related. Another issue were the course tasks: the stated length of the tasks was far too little, e.g. reading 5 texts does not take 5 minutes. I would have liked if the tasks were more connected to the videos and to each other. For example: have a quiz and small discussion throughout the week and at the end write a small essay about the whole content of the week and not only about one article. The ressources are my last problem: sometimes the link didn't work or there wasn't one at all. This should be fixed, otherwise the participants spend hours looking for the texts. It's an interesting topic and I learned a lot about South Korea and it's perspecitve of gender. The way it is delivered can be improved.

By Kanta P

May 09, 2020

Although I really like the course, its contents, how it is structured and, most of all, the reading materials, the peer review system and discussions that often are not very engaging draw me back a bit. Still, if you are interested in this porticular topic of South Korea, this course is worth taking.

By Jessica R

Mar 18, 2018

It was an interesting course. I've learned lots of new contents and information related to Korean society, and delved into some other topics, which were more familiar.

Texts, articles, and videos suggested are engaging, and fundamental in order to better understand the subjects.

By Lydia C H

Oct 07, 2019

I really like this course. It does show a point of view I wasn't expecting to learn about Korea and it really opened my mind and eyes a bit. It is a really well-taught class and I am enjoying it!

By Michael R

Jun 14, 2017

This course was very interactive, and it provided lots of resources on the side as well. It was challenging and allowed interaction with other learners as well. Thank you for this course.

By Jonathan H

May 18, 2017

Very interesting course, could be improved by some work on the subtitling.

By Valeria C R N

Nov 19, 2017

I would put 5 stars because it's amazing but too short :'(

By Joy S

Aug 28, 2017

Good overview of how things stand in South Korea. Slightly hard to understand as it is taught by Koreans with Korean accents.

By Burcu F

Oct 20, 2019

Unfortunately I couldn't get what I expected from this course. The videos were not enthusiastic, mostly based on info-graphs and pie charts. Quizzes were mostly based on parrot-fashion.