Back to Becoming a changemaker: Introduction to Social Innovation

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Becoming a changemaker: Introduction to Social Innovation by University of Cape Town

This free 6 week course is for anyone who wants to make a difference. Whether you are already familiar with the field of social innovation or social entrepreneurship, working for an organization that wants to increase its social impact, or just starting out, this course will take you on a journey of exploring the complex problems that surround us and how to start thinking about solutions. We will debunk common assumptions around what resources are needed to begin acting as a social innovator. We will learn from the numerous examples of social innovations happening all over the world. You will be challenged to get out of your comfort zone and start engaging with the diverse spaces around you. By the end of the course, you will have formed your own approach to social innovation, and you will have begun to develop the concepts, mindset, skills, and relationships that will enable you to start and evolve as a changemaker. You will be able to purchase a Verified Certificate if you wish to show evidence of your achievements, but this is optional, and you may apply for Financial Aid if you are unable to pay the certificate fee. The Bertha Centre for Social Innovation and Entrepreneurship co-created this course with RLabs, a social movement ‘born-and-bred’ in Bridgetown, Cape Town that is now active in 22 countries. The movement empowers youth through innovative and disruptive technology by teaching them vital skills and providing much needed support and a sense of community. Advocating and supporting initiatives such as RLabs forms part of the Bertha Centre’s mandate. The Centre is a specialised unit at University of Cape Town’s Graduate School of Business, and is the first academic centre in Africa dedicated to advancing social innovation and entrepreneurship. You can view the course trailer at www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcWYG64WO20 Tweet about this course using the hashtag #socinnMOOC...

SI

Feb 10, 2018

Highly recommended for the change agents who have no background in social entrepreneurship. This course will walk you through step by step into changing the system for the better of humanity habitats.

SA

Jul 2, 2020

This course was great! I learned a lot through discussion and project submissions. I have not only learned how to create change in my community but I have taken the first steps to make it a reality.

501 - 525 of 576 Reviews for Becoming a changemaker: Introduction to Social Innovation

By Nishant

Jul 13, 2020

awesom

By Zaharan

Jul 30, 2021

great

By Caphren R

Jun 9, 2021

Good

By Naung L H

Jun 3, 2021

Nov 1, 2020

great

By Phạm T K H

Jul 26, 2022

nice

By Nguyen H M

May 8, 2021

Good

By Ashish K

Jul 8, 2020

good

By Pankaj R

Jul 4, 2020

Good

By Chathura S R

Jul 3, 2020

good

By VIGNESH C

Jul 2, 2020

good

By Kanimozhi V

Jun 20, 2020

Good

By CHHOWALA V D

Best

By Kariyawasam T M S

May 16, 2020

good

By SAI J

May 12, 2020

Good

By Sanjay J

Apr 26, 2020

Jun 29, 2018

I

By Kenneth. C A

Aug 24, 2020

Its a great course no doubt and I am thankful for it. However, there were some challenges I encountered. Firstly, I had to re-do the course twice for some unknown reasons because it woukd not show my previous week's work or allow me continue in the present week. Perhaps it was a glitch I don't know. Secondly, the week 6 had all the instructions of what to do in the "optional" assignment but didn't say exactly where to submit the assignment and did not give a portal to submit. This made me stranded after I finished the assignment. So technically I did not submit the optional assignment although I did all other required assignments. And lastly, there were no readily avaliable assistance to help deal with issues. No email to wrote and get a response quick enough resolve a problem before your assignment is due etc. Only pre-arranged questions and aswers in the Help sections. Which were valid but not entirely cover all the problems. Besides these small difficulties I learned alot from my course and was really inspired to go out and implement my ideas.

By Lebohang

The course was great, informative, relevant, streched me and challenged me for the better!

The peer review method is good, however it would also have been good if 1 or 2 of the weeks assessments/assignments could be "moderated" by the lecturers. There were a number of instances where the peers who reviewed me and those that I reviewed did not submit anything in their commentary and the system did not pick it up (i.e. they just typed alphabets in the text boxes and submitted). This robs those who are committed to the course from receiving meaningful feedback.

Overall will continue to recommend the course to everyone!

By Katy M P

Aug 17, 2022

This was wonderful! I learned about some very creative organizations and was inspired to continue my innovation journey and think about problems in new ways. The only downside is that there were numerous assignments sent to me for review that were either filled with a bunch of nonsense or were from several years in the past. I had to flag those with nonsense and give a reason before I could continue to some legitimate assignments to review. Could there be a screening process to get rid of these before students try to review?

Thank you for all of this.

By supriya

Jun 28, 2020

When you motivate people around the world for being creative to plan something realistic t through this course then R lab must take a step ahead to help people with their Ideas to get implemented and support them Its like gathering all the items required for s recipe and you awarding certificate of best chef of the word even before cooking starts. Its disappointing.

I am looking forward for Rlab teams to get in touch with me to set up the idea in real life, alone i may not succeed but with a group of experienced people I certainly will. Thank you

By Shameka G

Jun 23, 2020

This was an eye opening and challenging course. Throughout the world ordinary people are doing extraordinary things to change people lives for the better. It allowed me to get close and personal with challenges in my community. It has help build courage and commitment to find solutions to issues near and dear to my heart. Taught me ways to critically think about the various stakeholders who/how are impacted by status quo and need of disruptive changes. The feedback given and received from others trying to make a difference was also uplifting.