Back to Becoming a changemaker: Introduction to Social Innovation

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Becoming a changemaker: Introduction to Social Innovation by University of Cape Town

This free 6 week course is for anyone who wants to make a difference. Whether you are already familiar with the field of social innovation or social entrepreneurship, working for an organization that wants to increase its social impact, or just starting out, this course will take you on a journey of exploring the complex problems that surround us and how to start thinking about solutions. We will debunk common assumptions around what resources are needed to begin acting as a social innovator. We will learn from the numerous examples of social innovations happening all over the world. You will be challenged to get out of your comfort zone and start engaging with the diverse spaces around you. By the end of the course, you will have formed your own approach to social innovation, and you will have begun to develop the concepts, mindset, skills, and relationships that will enable you to start and evolve as a changemaker. You will be able to purchase a Verified Certificate if you wish to show evidence of your achievements, but this is optional, and you may apply for Financial Aid if you are unable to pay the certificate fee. The Bertha Centre for Social Innovation and Entrepreneurship co-created this course with RLabs, a social movement ‘born-and-bred’ in Bridgetown, Cape Town that is now active in 22 countries. The movement empowers youth through innovative and disruptive technology by teaching them vital skills and providing much needed support and a sense of community. Advocating and supporting initiatives such as RLabs forms part of the Bertha Centre’s mandate. The Centre is a specialised unit at University of Cape Town’s Graduate School of Business, and is the first academic centre in Africa dedicated to advancing social innovation and entrepreneurship. You can view the course trailer at www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcWYG64WO20 Tweet about this course using the hashtag #socinnMOOC...

SI
Feb 10, 2018

Highly recommended for the change agents who have no background in social entrepreneurship. This course will walk you through step by step into changing the system for the better of humanity habitats.

SA
Jul 2, 2020

This course was great! I learned a lot through discussion and project submissions. I have not only learned how to create change in my community but I have taken the first steps to make it a reality.

126 - 150 of 542 Reviews for Becoming a changemaker: Introduction to Social Innovation

By Redvers F C

Oct 9, 2020

An excellent course that I would recommend to anyone. The lectures and lecturers were absolutely fantastic. However, I completed all of the honours assignments and this wasn't shown on my certificate. Please rectify for me.

By Kubadia D V

Aug 19, 2020

Course is very educating about the Real-life problems faced by the societies.

It exposes to the tools, methods, challenges, Hidden resources, experience based inferences and finally the Inspiration to start and move on... !

By Karim K

Jun 8, 2020

Great eye opener course, which focuses on what each one of us can give back to world

Step by step understanding of how to become a change maker or be part of such community

Thanks to all the for putting this course together.

By Carolina H

Jul 23, 2020

It is a very interesting course, it is well structure. I really like the mix between theory and case studies. IT gave me a lot of tools to use at work and also to start thinking in new ways to work in social innovation.

By Katherine W

Jun 22, 2017

This course is very insightful and interesting. This gives a lot of very useful materials and can be rewatched. This method can create impactful change in a community but this course also acknowledges the challenges too.

By Christa R V

Outstanding on every level -- from the scope of social innovation theory and practice that we covered to the online presentations to the assignments and the peer review process. I learned. I got inspired. Thank you all!

By Francisco N C D

Mar 5, 2019

Grounded on inspiring practice, complemented with theory. Interactive, with people from beautiful Africa and around the world. Simultaneously, it encourages you to know your context, its problems and its opportunities.

By OMKAR N P

Apr 17, 2020

well I really appriciate the content provided to us ,Becoming a changemaker:Introduction to social innovation

By Michelle D C

Jun 20, 2020

I thoroughly enjoyed this course! The content, the presentation and the participants all thought-provoking and attention-grabbing. I would recommend this course to anyone in the human service and nonprofit sector.

By David G

Nov 23, 2020

This course provided excellent incite into social innovation and the iterative design thinking and practical processes required to become successful. I really appreciate the messages of encouragement and hope.

By Jacek S

Jan 10, 2018

I really enjoyed the course - inspiring examples based in real life, stimulating leading questions and useful resources. Call for action at the end does make a difference. Great job Uni of Cape Town, thank you!

By Pablo A O

Nov 28, 2016

Great course from a great team. These wonderfull overskilled people is doing an amazing work. This course succeed in scaling a critical questions that hopefully turn in more projects that can make a difference.

By David D

Aug 28, 2018

I really enjoyed this course and feel that I learnt a great deal. I feel well equipped and confident that I can be a changemaker for good in my community and country.

Thank you for the opportunity and lessons!

By Serena M

Jun 11, 2018

Great balance among learning and doing, it inspired me very powerful reflections and really taught me a lot, both about notions and self-confidence, to start making the difference in my community. Thanks!!

By Lennard L

Jun 19, 2020

Professors were articulate and open-minded, very engaging course. Other than social innovation, this course teaches us about critical thinking and analysis in solving problems, which is incredibly useful!

By ABHISHEK J

Jun 3, 2020

At first, it looks look why are we doing this course but after a few assignments it all comes together and you will realize that how good this course is. A brilliant effort by the team behind this course.

By Nila G

Jan 27, 2019

Awesome course -- the right length,, practical in every way, applicable, excellent instruction!

Also, kicks your butt to achieve your goals and think critically ... while thinking about and helping others!

By Yogita W

Apr 13, 2020

Definitely a Great source of Information and Motivation. Justifies the Title 100% .It gradually takes you through the whole Social Innovation journey with many illustrative examples all around the world.

By Kridipak M

Jun 14, 2020

Good introduction to the concept. Knowledgeable and empathetic instructors, very inspiring examples. I would recommend this course to anyone looking to get into nonprofits and social enterprises.

By refilwe s

Sep 11, 2021

This course on its own is definitely a changemaker and I'm honoured to have taken part in the lessons which are provided for to develop ourselves, and to never limit our capabilities. Thank you

By Emma G

Dec 9, 2020

This course was very easy to use. The videos were informative and easy to understand. This course inspired me to create something meaningful and was a very helpful and encouraging experience.

By Susmit A

Jun 4, 2020

The course is fantastic and provides deep insight into the process of starting your own social innovation project or methods of incorporating social innovation alongside a for-profit business

By Daniel E Ó L

Jul 28, 2020

A course which really challenged me to step outside of my comfort zone and to innovate and create solutions to problems. They give you all the tools to make the change that needs to be made.

By Valerie P

Oct 23, 2020

Brings perspective and give an opportunity to think outside the box on Issues your community might be facing, and finding solutions for those problems using resources and knowledge at hand.

By Ngaatendwe P M

Nov 24, 2020

I thouroughly enjoyed this course. The material was easy to understand and engage with. The information was put together in a comprehensible way and the tasks were practical and relevant