Back to Social Psychology

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Social Psychology by Wesleyan University

Ever wonder why people do what they do? This course—which includes more than $1,000 of video and reading materials—offers some answers based on the latest research from social psychology. Students taking the course for a Certificate will also receive free membership in Social Psychology Network (SocialPsychology.org). COURSE DESCRIPTION FROM PROFESSOR PLOUS: Each of us is dealt a different hand in life, but we all face similar questions when it comes to human behavior: What leads us to like one person and dislike another? How do conflicts and prejudices develop, and how can they be reduced? Can psychological research help protect the environment, and if so, how? This course offers a brief introduction to classic and contemporary social psychology, covering topics such as decision making, persuasion, group behavior, personal attraction, and factors that promote health and well-being. Our focus will be on surprising, entertaining, and intriguing research findings that are easy to apply in daily life. The course will also draw from the websites of Social Psychology Network, the world's largest online community devoted to social psychology. I hope you'll join me for this course, have fun, and learn some useful information that enriches your life....

IV

Jun 13, 2020

Very interesting course, tons of great material. Of all the courses I have taken so far in Coursera, this is one of the few that has pushed me to focus on the material we were going over-great course.

RC

Aug 19, 2019

I loved this course. It covered all the topics I was interested in and was thoroughly engaging and well-organised. Professor Plous is a great teacher and has designed a wonderful course in this MOOC.

176 - 200 of 1,214 Reviews for Social Psychology

By Nguyen D N L

Aug 18, 2020

This course is amazing, fantastic, incredible. I admire Professor a lot, I like the way he teaches and the assignments each week are so interesting. Attending the course brings me so many new and wonderful things. Many thanks to Professor, the generosity of guest video/documents, the mentor in the discussion forums, and all the things that you guys teach me.

By Ashwathi N

Jun 15, 2020

Being an engineering student, I felt I would have a tough time coping up with the subjects pertaining to Psychology and adjusting to the course assignments, however my journey throughout the course has been marvelous. I look forward to establishing a career in Cognitive Psychology and there could not have been a better impetus to my journey than this course.

By Parth L

Jun 18, 2020

An amazing course put together with a clear chain of thought. The course material was perfectly complementing the videos and the teaching was way above par. I always wanted to explore a subject like social psychology which was far out of my comfort zone, and i'm certain i couldn't have found a better MOOC online. Thank you Dr. Plous and Wesleyan University.

By Rinky B

Jul 25, 2019

Everybody needs to take this course. It simply is that essential. Not only for personal betterment and our daily lives but also as a society. We owe it to eat other and our future generations to come, to provide them a better social environment, in what they can flourish. I am gonna suggest this course to every single soul i know,who could benefit by it.

By Simon B

This course felt like a thorough introduction to social psychology. The subject matter is well taught by Professor Plous, who is enthusiastic and knowledgable, and uses the online medium of Coursera to his advantage. I highly recommend this course for individuals who are curious about social psychology and have little previous experience with the topic.

By Sivakumar S

May 04, 2020

Wonderful Course. I wish to thank Prof. Scot Plous and his team in Wesleyan for this well designed course. The active Discussion Forms, ably supported by the Staffs & Mentors along with the co-students, made it interactive and felt like a real course with interactions. I would strongly recommend this course if you are interested in Psychology. Cheers.

By Anh V L N

Jul 09, 2020

A great start for students who interests in Social Psychology. The course involves a lot of materials concerning common bias and normal psychological human functioning, accompanied by understandable concepts and examples. Various experiments are mentioned to elucidate the psychological foundation of the materials, most of them remain valid these days.

By Christian M

Feb 01, 2020

I have not (yet) finished the course but I'm sure of two things: first I've already learnt a huge amount of things, and second, I want to finish it an know what's ahead. The course is very good, I think, for beginners like me who have a vague notion of how people interact but are striving for a bit more theory and practical examples on the subject.

By Sandeep S

Aug 04, 2020

One of the best MOOCs of all time. very informative and interesting. Even though I had previous knowledge on many topics the course definitely enhanced it. It had some of the most engaging assignments. Prof. Scott Plous conducted the course amazingly.

Very Very happy with the content. Definitely recommend this course for everyone new to the field.

By Alice W

Jul 21, 2020

Phenomenal professor, great insights into the human psyche. Excellent course for anyone of any background. Content is also highly engaging - it is not just the professor lecturing. He uses a variety of videos and shows social experiments. There was an hour video I thought I'd snore through and was fascinated the entire time. Such a great course.

By Tushar S

Jun 06, 2020

This was the first time I took up a course on social psychology and I have to agree that I'm hooked to this topic. From the wonderful explanations by our professor Mr. Scott Plous to the amazing articles and videos shared in the course, it was a great journey. I thank Wesleyan University and Coursera for bringing this course to us. All the best!

By Miray K

I loved this course. It has been very interesting for me to get this course in these strange times. Throughout the course, I tried to observe and interpret the society in the pandemic era with the help of the learnings of the social psychology. It is not only a course, it is like a life guide. Thank you professor Scott Plous, Thank you Coursera!

By VICTOR M B P

Jul 22, 2020

To finish this course for me it is a great success. Because I learned a lot.I am a physician, and I have gained a little bit more comprehension about me , my patients and society, and how society behaves.It is now not just an HONOR but also a great PRIVILEGE to have this wonderful guy Scott Plus as a lecturer and as a teacher.

By Shreeya T

Aug 22, 2020

The course was very insightful, extremely well designed in all aspects. It really ignited an interest in the subject and allowed us to grow personally. Alongside the course syllabus, I'm extremely delighted to see this course use social psychology to actually tackle multiple problems, and to begin a change in the attitudes of participants.

By Paula R

Jun 14, 2020

Thank you very much for the time, the knowledge you share! I feel super lucky and grateful. I learned a lot, in understanding many things that one does automatically identify them in order to be a better version of one. Having more information on how you react to certain things helps us personally and as a society! Thanks Scott Plous !!!

By Dhwani R

Jun 28, 2020

A truly fantastic and brilliantly curated course! I firmly believe that every person should take this course, because you can see it from any eye and get what they most need from it. Some fascinating revelations on human behaviour that should be common knowledge, taught by a fantastic professor and awesome TAs in the discussion forums.

By EZGI Y K

It was an amazing journey, I have learned so much during this course, the material and the presentation of it was very fulfilling. I have gained a new perspective about social situations and people's behavior. I would like to thank Prof. Scott Plous for his dedication and enthusiasm, it has certainly passed on me and kept me motivated.

By Erutie S

Aug 28, 2020

The course is an excellent one an eye opener, indeed I have really learnt much about my personality, and my social surrounding , and my relationship with fellow human across all angle....a big thanks to Prof. Scott Plous...there is never a dull moment with him in all session across the course..once again thanks to Prof. Scott Plous.

By Donna N

Jun 19, 2019

This was an extensive, well rounded and enjoyable course. Thank you for the considerable amount of work necessary to compile it all. The only disappointment was the reference material after each video, further reading and videos, had the majority of its listings as unclickable links (any with a title versus an actual web address).

By J C N

Aug 27, 2020

I enjoyed this course thoroughly -- Prof Scott was excellent in the way he presented the material. The suggested readings took off from where he left off, so there was no sense of repetition; rather a reinforcing and complementing of the lectures. Thank you Prof Scott and your team for making this a valuable and stimulating course.

By Suzanne v W

Jul 29, 2020

It was a comprehensive course which learned me a lot about why people react in social situations the way they do. As a medical student I think it is very useful skill to understand behaviour of other people better. However, I also learned a lot about myself. Thank you so much for sharing this course online, it was very educational.

By Sowmya T

Jun 07, 2020

One of the best Mooc's I've taken. You can tell a lot of effort has gone into designing this. It keeps your attention, keeps you engaged, and make you take action. Kudos to Prof Scott Plous. A must-do for everybody! Studying psychology had always been on my bucket list and I'm glad I got to do it on Coursera with Prof. Scott Plous.

By Choo B

Apr 24, 2020

What an awesome course. Thanks Professor Scott Plous and everyone who has been a part of this incredible journey. Also would like to thank all my peers in this course for reviewing my work and sharing their thoughts on the discussion forums. I've learned so much from this course and look forward to apply this to my everyday life.

By Manuela H

Jul 12, 2020

The best course I have taken. Professor Plouse makes every lecture interesting. The amount of material, reading and videos astounded me. It is extremely complete and fun. The assignments are all fun and interesting. It has changed me in many ways, from understanding other behaviors to understanding my own. VERY RECCOMENDED!!!!!!