Back to Social Psychology

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Social Psychology by Wesleyan University

Ever wonder why people do what they do? This course—which includes more than $1,000 of video and reading materials—offers some answers based on the latest research from social psychology. Students taking the course for a Certificate will also receive free membership in Social Psychology Network (SocialPsychology.org). COURSE DESCRIPTION FROM PROFESSOR PLOUS: Each of us is dealt a different hand in life, but we all face similar questions when it comes to human behavior: What leads us to like one person and dislike another? How do conflicts and prejudices develop, and how can they be reduced? Can psychological research help protect the environment, and if so, how? This course offers a brief introduction to classic and contemporary social psychology, covering topics such as decision making, persuasion, group behavior, personal attraction, and factors that promote health and well-being. Our focus will be on surprising, entertaining, and intriguing research findings that are easy to apply in daily life. The course will also draw from the websites of Social Psychology Network, the world's largest online community devoted to social psychology. I hope you'll join me for this course, have fun, and learn some useful information that enriches your life....

IV

Jun 13, 2020

Very interesting course, tons of great material. Of all the courses I have taken so far in Coursera, this is one of the few that has pushed me to focus on the material we were going over-great course.

RC

Aug 19, 2019

I loved this course. It covered all the topics I was interested in and was thoroughly engaging and well-organised. Professor Plous is a great teacher and has designed a wonderful course in this MOOC.

76 - 100 of 1,307 Reviews for Social Psychology

By Penphan B T

Jul 10, 2020

This is my best coursera MOOC experience by far. Although it's an online course, Prof. Plous and his team put so much effort to make sure that it's as interactive and fun as it can be. I actually signed up out of curiosity, I've always been interested in understanding behaviors and how we function as a person, as a society. Initially, I thought clinical psychology was the way to go but thanks to my experience with this class - I've now discover that what I should have been pursuing all along is Social Psychology ! Thank you Coursera, Prof. Plous and all the minds behind this course for such an amazing education experience !

By benayad c f

Aug 12, 2020

I don't even know how to start. This course is clearly of high quality ! The content is very instructive, very generous in knowledge, and material. It is also very pedagogic, fun, entertaining. I am not usually the type of person who would "expose" myself to others, but I had a special feeling with this course that my made me confortable to complete the assignments, and course to the final exam. Obviously I have learned a lot. Of course, thank you to the wonderful professor Mr.Scott Plous for his amazing teaching and all the contributors and guests (professors, researchers) to the course. I highly recommend. Thank you :)

By 呂信德

Jun 05, 2019

JGFDFFFFDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDFR FNNNNNNNNNNNNREFAC GYUFEDDDDDDDDDDDDDDC CDE2EYVUFWTVYID C3E3E3E3E3E3E3E3E3E3E3E3E3E3E3E3E3E3E3E3EB GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGWHJKDN E4NODHFG4YUICVCRY4GFWEIO YRIIIIIIIIIII34OGFUDB YYYYYYYYY3GFIOG45O 46Y3HO0DGI3WU8FVX YU43IHD4U3XHJ9 4GRYFFFFFFFFFFFFFJKLZHYT FRV cy5cvh653w3qazsvgftr5vsAQq45GTRBVBVBVBVBVBVBVBVBVBVBVBVBVBVBVBVBVBVBVWDIOWEWSW45GFTRGFTRGFTRGFTRGFTRGFTRGFTRGFTRGFTRGFTRGFTRGFTRGFTRGFTRGFTRGFTRGFTRGFTRGFTRGFTRGFTRGFTRGFTRGFTRGFTRGFTRGFTRGFTRGFTRGFTRGFTRGFTRGFTRGFTRGFTRGFTRGFTRGFTRGFTRGFTRGFTRGFTRGFTRGFTRGFTRGFTRGFTRGFTRGFTRGFTRGFTRGFTRGFTRGFTRGFTRGFTRGFTRGFTRGFTRGFTRGFTRGFTRGFTRGFTR44

By Juan D L A

Sep 09, 2020

This course must be for everyone, it's not deep and still teaches a lot, I'm not any close to psychology and it was a great introduction of what this subjet means (refering particulary to social psychology) and how useful it is.

It goes from giving empirical (experimental) facts about how the mind does social reasoning and it discusses multiple subjets (individuals, groups, agression, how helpful we really are, etc.).

There are some activities and readings that go beyond what's expected from an online course.

After taking it, I think now that this subjet must be taught to everyone, for example, in highschool.

By Sandra O

Jul 22, 2020

I found this course to be both challenging and enlightening. For a person who has not entered college-style learning or completing that style of assignments, I found this course to be the full gamete of expectations and so much more! I have learned about myself, people, and people's actions. What I have learned will assist me in my employment. Professor Scott Plous was an excellent instructor whom I felt I could follow with ease, although I was challenged with my mind, and being I was able to accomplish my goal of completing the course. Thank you to all contributors and Professor Plous.

By Soon G

Exceptional course into the world of social psychology. This course has profoundly change how I view society, people and relationships.

The course itself is both well designed and well equipped with the resources you need to learn and explore about social psychology. Spending time to reflect and assimilate the concepts will help you gain a greater appreciation to the course.

Professor Plous is an amazing tutor and also a great story teller. He manages to seamless weave social psychology concepts and teachings into the lecturers. Overall this was a really enjoyable and enriching course.

By Nicholas J P

Jun 26, 2020

Special thanks to Professor Scott Plous and Wesleyan University for the amazing opportunity to learn Social Psychology. Overall, the course was a great learning tool that exceeded my expectations. I highly recommend taking this for anyone who wants to learn why we act the way that we do.

The course proved very insightful and provided controversial subjects that not only tested my thinking but helped me understand why I thought the things I did. For the low cost of the course, the value you receive is exceptional and again, I highly recommend it.

I only wish the course had a part two!

By Lohana S

Jun 14, 2020

I would like to thank you especially, Professor Plous, for teaching us the way you did it.

It was highly interesting, interactive, fun, and I enjoyed it very much. You made me want to learn more. I have never been to university because I started working when I was 17. And it made me feel encouraged even from home. It helped me keep a daily routine through the COVID19 when I couldn't work anymore.

Thank you, for everything. I highly recommend this course for anyone who is at least a little bit curious about life, about others and themselves and wish to learn things in a fun way.

By Muhammad A

Jun 13, 2020

This course was an amazing experience and I got to learn so much! Professor Scott Plous is truly an amazing instructor and it's a shame that I didn't have the opportunity to be his direct student. Extremely thankful to entire Coursera team to offer such a superb course and I also appreciate this platform in general. Again, truly thankful to Prof. Scott, all the people behind this amazing course and of course, my course mates. Wishing the very best of luck to Coursera. Please continue to flourish and I'm looking forward to that soccer match between Coursera and Germany ;)

By Zsofia B

Jun 21, 2020

I've learnt so much from this eye-opening and thought-inducing course, I'm beyond grateful and recommend it to anyone no matter your background. It is very well designed, full of interesting and relevant experiments around the main concepts, all grouped into digestible weekly material. I only wish this course could be included in the curriculum for everyone all over the world, as I strongly believe it would improve society, by becoming aware of our biases and helping to improve ourselves to be better and more compassionate people. Sincere thanks to Professor Plous!

By Monica M A

It's been an amazing journey! It was my first course in Coursera and I cannot be more satisfied with the experience. The way it was organized, the topics, the materials and the presentation gave me what I appreciate the most in a class: enough to pursuit for more. It's been almost 4 years since I took a class of any kind so was not sure if I was "in shape" for an area with so much to learn and analyse, however the course kept me hours reading, consulting and discussing.

Thanks very much to professor Plous and the team who made this course possible for us!

By Yash c

Jun 11, 2020

This was a wonderful experience I have ever felt in my lifetime since the teaching by Prof. Scott Plous is amazing. The graphical effects he used while teaching is undoubtedly wonderful idea. I think I have paid more attention in this course than my university subjects!!. And all the collections of the great psychologist's research and videos is truly a treasure. I am very thankful to Prof. Scott Plous for providing such a intellectual concepts in such a beautiful manner. Thank you!! Thank you!! Thank you!!.

Thank you from bottom of my HEART !:-)

By Sue R

Jun 05, 2020

Social Psychology, with Professor Scott Plous, was a stimulating and engaging course. The video lectures and readings were excellent and I learned a great deal of fascinating and useful information from them. The assignments were challenging and creative and I enjoyed completing them. I also loved engaging with students from so many countries and cultures in the discussion forums. If you have any interest at all in this topic, I highly recommend this course. I'm extremely happy that I decided to take it and can't recommend it highly enough!

By Kubra

Mar 26, 2019

I am glad that i took the course.It made me decide and realize what i really wanted to study/do and make my future plans.Very useful stuff to use in daily life/at work etc. I am aware of more things now and the more i know the more i get comfortable with people/society/kids etc. and how to deal with them.And i really know now what i really wanna do in the future ☺ Hope they will prepare other levels of the course too for those who like to continue learning about social psychology but cant study it.would be amazing.thank you for the course ✌

By Rhonda D

Jun 18, 2020

I found this course pretty interesting, and learnt a lot in these past few weeks, about myself and my relationships with others, that I have kept applying DAILY. Even the final exam method you have used made me THINK and THINK sooooo much to ensure I understood the question correctly in order to answer effectively. The applied questions were a good test of our true understanding.

Thank you Professor Plous, the Mentors who respond to us in the discussion forums and ALL the persons involved in the creation and conducting of this course.

By Anuranjani N

I had studied until masters and had a lot of preconceived notions that I could never verify or understand. This course certainly showed me why I think in a specific way and analyse it in a specific way. The most enjoyable part of the assignment was the compassion project and the honors assignment for me. Mapping the concepts one on one with day to day life situations brought in a lot of self realisation. Thank you for the wonderful course Professor Plous. I cannot stop raving about this course with my daughter, family and friends :-)

By Sai S

Jul 11, 2020

The entire course was an amazing journey. Even though I don't have any background in Psychology or the social sciences, I was able to easily grasp the concepts thanks to the boiled down & simple explanation from Professor Scott Plous. The assignments were very exciting, especially for the Honors, where you can participate in a forum with your peers from different parts of the world. Incredible experience overall and some of the videos, especially the ones with the intriguing psychological experiments are definitely worth a rewatch.

By Gabriel

First of all, I would like to say that Professor Plous is an incredible teacher/mentor. he takes his time with every subject and makes sure you understand the topic by providing TONS of information about such while also giving video lectures as well. he has an amazing personality and honest to god I wish I could have met him in real life to show my gratitude towards him. if you are thinking about taking this course I would HIGHLY recommend you do! If you 100% will not be disappointed. Thank you again Professor Plous for doing this.

By Non A

Feb 25, 2019

This is by far the best class I have taken on Courses. The professor is amazing. He's highly thoughtful, witty and full of great sense of humor. I particular like the fact that there're so many original videos and articles that I could access for free upon taking this course. The Milgram Experiment video, for instance, is a classic and I did not realize how severe and sterile the space looked until today (having read about it many years ago). I want to thank Wesleyan and the instructor so much for offering this great great course.

By Hedi M A

Apr 22, 2020

This course is phenomenal. I always looked forward to studying assigned and optional material because it was just that fun. I wanted to learn everything the course had to offer, and I think that made a huge difference in my retention. Professor Plous's method of instruction is very easy to follow and engaging at the same time, so I deeply thank him and everyone who helped make the course. Someday, the world will become a more compassionate place; social psychology is a huge leap in that direction. Much love and thanks from Egypt!

By Danielle V

Sep 09, 2020

This was my first ever Coursera class, which I chose because it was such a departure from my profession. Or so I thought. Professor Scott Plous has crafted a curriculum which I found engaging, and gave me tools to apply what I learned in class to the working world. I wished I would have taken this course sooner, I learned so much about myself and how to better understand and interact with people on the job. This course also provided an opportunity to engage in meaningful cultural discussions with students all over the world.

By Wendy P

Sep 11, 2020

This is by far the best course that I have ever done. This course is so comprehensive and professional, it is far better than any other university course that I have studied. The amount of evidence based research and information in phenomenal. The peer reviewed assignments keep you engaged, as do the many videos. Professor Plous is the most engaging lecturer that I have come across. Such a professional, friendly and knowledgeable tutor. His enthusiasm is contagious. I will miss him, now that I have completed the course.

By Joseph T

Jul 06, 2020

The course content, while a bit dry at times, was mostly very relevant for a beginner to Social Psychology like me. The pace of the course felt good, and I never felt like I had too much on my plate. The course community is friendly and very open with one another, and the instructor always found ways to keep things engaging and fresh. Scott Plous is an excellent lecturer who managed to deliver the core idea of each lesson without unnecessarily colouring the content with his perspective. Greatly recommend this course.

By MANSI R

Sep 27, 2020

this is an exceptionally good course, there was all in it that I could have learned, what made it exceptional was all the videos and links and the extra material and effort made, I learned so much about things which I did not realize and now I know. I don't know if this will reach professor Plous, but my heartful thanks to him and his team to make this course so much more than just a theoretical subject, and enhance it in a way its hard to forget, this was a helpful and fascinating experience for me

thank you!

By Laila k k

Jul 07, 2019

Full marks for an excellent course that makes me see myself and those around me in a totally different light, with better understanding. It has made me patient, less judgmental, more understanding.. changes I feel for the better.. To make sense of our biases, what an achievement. Or thin slicing, so much more.. what a great course indeed.... and taught in a particularly interesting manner by Professor Plous, making it easy for a layman to make perfect sense of complex thoughts. A brilliant experience indeed...