Back to Social Psychology

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Social Psychology by Wesleyan University

Ever wonder why people do what they do? This course—which includes more than $1,000 of video and reading materials—offers some answers based on the latest research from social psychology. Students taking the course for a Certificate will also receive free membership in Social Psychology Network (SocialPsychology.org). COURSE DESCRIPTION FROM PROFESSOR PLOUS: Each of us is dealt a different hand in life, but we all face similar questions when it comes to human behavior: What leads us to like one person and dislike another? How do conflicts and prejudices develop, and how can they be reduced? Can psychological research help protect the environment, and if so, how? This course offers a brief introduction to classic and contemporary social psychology, covering topics such as decision making, persuasion, group behavior, personal attraction, and factors that promote health and well-being. Our focus will be on surprising, entertaining, and intriguing research findings that are easy to apply in daily life. The course will also draw from the websites of Social Psychology Network, the world's largest online community devoted to social psychology. I hope you'll join me for this course, have fun, and learn some useful information that enriches your life....

IV
Jun 12, 2020

Very interesting course, tons of great material. Of all the courses I have taken so far in Coursera, this is one of the few that has pushed me to focus on the material we were going over-great course.

PM
Aug 15, 2020

Professor Plous made me understand the lessons because he explained well all the lessons, and he provided enough information about the Social Psychology. More power to Coursera and Professor Plous :)

51 - 75 of 1,687 Reviews for Social Psychology

By Lim F Y

Jan 1, 2021

The classes are interesting and there are lots of study materials in the form of video clips and reading materials all exclusive to us only! The professor isn't boring and managed to make each classes as interesting as possible. I definitely learned a lot of things that can be used in my life and work. I really recommend this course for just anyone.

By Liv P

Jun 7, 2020

I feel like I've rediscovered the pleasure of learning and I haven't enjoyed a course this much in years (or dare I say ever). I almost felt sad when the course was nearing completion. This is the kind of course everyone should take, regardless of their work domain.

By Santosh K U

Oct 30, 2019

It was indeed a very good initiative course... I look forward to being part of many such courses in the future. The mentor of the course excelled in making layman like me to understand it from the core. Loved learning new concepts.

By Nourhan M A M

very interesting subjects and very helpful in explaining surrounding most experienced human behaviors, it's easy to reschedule course assignments dues , it was my pleasure to attend this course

By Radhakrishna S K

Apr 18, 2020

Social Psychology is an amazing subject which every person must know. I personally liked the way in whcih the module has been designed. Thank you Professor Scott Plous for the beautiful module.

By Rajarshi S

Apr 23, 2020

One of the best course. Extraordinary study materials, communication, dialect. I'm not from a psychology field but I understood each and every explaination. Do it once in your lifetime.

By Panos P

Oct 13, 2019

An amazing course! This is a must for every individual regardless of age, professio or any other social status.

By Arif H D

Jun 7, 2020

Super, I loved this course and I am so happy that I choose this course for my personal grooming

By Kim L M

Jun 14, 2020

This is my first online course and I think taking course online takes a lot of self discipline, time management and planning. This works well for me now during this pandemic lock down. The experience is rather fun and I made a shift in my mind at 2nd week in order for me to "catch up" with the lectures and reading (a lot of reading, I must say!). I can't really comment much on the content as I do not think a 6 weeks course gonna make me a psychologist-wannabe, its more like a stir-my-interest kind of course and it does give me a lot to chew and ponder.

Assignments are not very difficult, peer grading is pretty interesting. Exam can be a tough cookie. Other than that, I had enjoyed the course.

Saw some reviews stating privacy issue and hard sell of SPN - hey, the choice lies in YOUR hand - you can still complete the course without compromising your privacy or joining SPN.

Thank you to Prof Plou, staff mentors, assistants and behind the scenes personnel who make this course possible for all of us who make it till the end. ;)

By Stacey J

May 13, 2020

Great coure with a lot of relevant information especially for the current state of the world. I have taken two other courses and can say the mentors in this course are the best (no mentor response from the other courses). I think updating the times to complete each week (especially the readings) would be advised. I am a native English speaker and it took me twice as long to do the readings and take notes in both lectures and readings (which is recommended for review before the exam). It would beneficial to receive feedback on the exam to know what we got incorrect, even if this happens after we pass. Again, STRONG kudos to the mentors!!!

By Sarah H

Nov 7, 2020

Lecturer was great. Course has ALOT of content to get through in the time frame. I had taken it as something to do after work/in my free time and it took much longer than I expected when I actually did the assigned readings. Some of the reading were huge. This should probably be pointed out to people more clearly when they begin as other courses I have taken on here took much less time. But it was overall a good course and I learnt some new things.

By Mariana A F C

Apr 23, 2020

The course overall was great, very insightful videos and the readings were a spot on complement to the videos. The assignments were a good way to implement the learnings as well. Perhaps some more quizzes along the course might be a good idea to do checkpoints of acquired knowledge.

By Bhoomi M

Jul 1, 2019

Loved the course! Never thought online learning could be so much fun

By Pleiades N

May 23, 2021

Good for teenagers, young adults or people who never been previously interested in how society works. Instructor promotes his personal opinion as an ultimate truth and promotes stuff a bit too often, but if to ignore this or that and do a lot of reading outside the lectures requirements, you might find this course useful.

By Alicia B

Apr 19, 2021

The professor spent so much time talking about topics not directly related to the subject, advertising about his & his affiliate's projects. I paid my money to learn Social Psychology, NOT what he offers extra. I feel like I wasted my time and money viewing all those videos full of non-related information. Coursera's lectures are usually shorter than the real in-person lectures at the university, so the lectures need to contain academic information more densely. Why using the precious time to talk about such non-academic, advertising matter? That is why I stopped watching in the middle of the course.

Nov 15, 2020

This the third time I have taken this course. I do not consider Mr. Scott Plous a good person, or a good psychologist. This may be the third time, I either write this, or the third time, Coursera takes my comments down. No hard feelings Scott, but yelling, and screaming, at a camera, does produce schizophrenia.

By vittorio m

Aug 29, 2020

peer review does not work for anyone. on what ground can student review something they just learned, un-enrolling

By Alexandros P

Apr 6, 2020

just not for me. sorry

By Anashwara M J

Jun 8, 2020

This course turned out be very different from my expectations, and I liked it! It appears that Professor Plous did his best to make the course really entertaining, with his humour emerging within videos. He has also included a diverse range of resources, ranging from his own SPN to various TEDTalks and talks by other professors (not to mention documentaries! I love it when they are included in a class). The assignments really challenged me- a few months ago (before starting the course) I would never have thought I could finish them, and I might not have signed up for the course had I known what the assignments were *nervous laugh*. But I'd like to encourage you to try it out, not the least because the Coursera community is very kind and encouraging. I have come out with an appreciation for social psychologists, research, and awareness of my own shortcomings and biases, along with what an impact I can have, even on my own. If you've got loads of free time and an interest in psychology, why not give it a try? I highly doubt you'd walk away from this course with a "meh".

By Patty T

Sep 11, 2021

The Social Psychology course offered by Wesleyan University and mostly taught by Professor Scott Plous is absolutely the most meaningful, interesting and inspiring course I have ever studied so far! Professor Scott Plous is a great teacher and had delivered all the information, knowledge and materials in a way which was easy to understand and follow even for someone like myself (a law graduate) who has limited concept about what psychology is about. Most importantly, the context of the course itself has provided answers to many questions which have existed in my mind towards human race behaviours. More than that, it helps me by leaving me with a positive thought about the future by knowing that there are still plenty of experts and genius like Professor Plous out there working on projects to promote kindness, compassion and empathy around the world and strive to make the world a better place! Last note on this review, it is a course you should never miss on Coursera!

By Salah B

Jul 18, 2020

This is an excellent course which I really enjoyed studying. Prof. Scott Plous is a wounderful man. His way of explanation is amazing. The speed of the videos is just perfect for me since English is not my native language. His accent is very clear to me. I love his videos and I have repeated viewing some of them more than once. As a retired manager I had enough time for the study. However, once I start at 8:00 am I got stuck on my seat enjoying this course till 3:00 pm. I only move for human needs. What is amazing is that the material is not only academic; it is real life. While watching the video you mind also goes to the reality in your own life. Honestly, this course make a difference in my life and I hope it will reflect on my dealings with others within the family and outside. I love the Day of Compassion. It is a brilliant idea. Big and very big thank you to prof. Scott and his team for this second to none course. Student: Salah Babiker

By Glorife M C

Jul 8, 2020

This is my first online course and I've learned a lot plus you'll have free certificate after the course. Prof. Plous is a great teacher, he will explain all the topics clearly and he's also a funny professor which is a big help to lighten up the mood when you feel like you are drowning from the tons of learning, videos, readings. The assignments and tasks were challenging I thought I would not end up completing this course because it somewhat requires you to think deeply or in critical way but after submitting my entry for every tasks or assignments I felt happy and proud to myself until I completed this course. This course is indeed a complete package because it has different references, lectures, videos, pdfs, and an excellent professor.

I loved this course. It covered all the topics I was interested in and was thoroughly engaging and well-organised. Professor Plous is a great teacher and has designed a wonderful course in this MOOC.

By Olivera S

May 14, 2020

The course of social psychology at the University of Wesleyan, in the group of Professor Scott Plus, was a wonderful experience for me, offered me the opportunity to explore new skills and gain new knowledge.The video lectures and the offered literature were at a very high level, above all professional and interesting.

I had the opportunity to learn interesting and useful things that I hope will be useful in my life for the benefit of all.

Involvement in the process of personal growth and development improves the life of each individual in each field such as spiritual upgrading, improving the attitude towards oneself and others, quality family life, professional development and more.

Many thanks to Professor Scott Plus and his team for their hard work. Thanks to all the visitors of the course, with some we have already made a small contact and exchanged views on the discussion forum.

By Kabakov B

Jul 29, 2020

It was, probably, the hardest and time-consuming course on Coursera that I took. But it was enlightening, indeed :) Usually, one must spend a 1-2 calendar days for each Coursera's week. Thus, if the course consists of 7 weeks, you can expect to take 7-14 days to complete it.

But not for this course. It took 30 days for me to pass it and it was a time well spend. The course contains many readings, such as entire chapters from psychology textbooks, and many documentaries. Also, there will be a lot of links to optional readings and videos, which I recommend taking., despite that it will consume a significant amount of time.

The first week was boring one and I almost decided to leave the course, but other weeks were fascinating, thus I became a course fan at the end :)

I bet you'll spend a lot of time with friends discussing what you learned on the course.

By Tomáš H

Sep 24, 2020

Amazing course!

By far the best course I've done. Prior to the course I was interested in psychology in more general way, as it's important part of my life as an athlete and a coach. So I started the course with a vague knowledge of psychology and I was curious about what I can learn that will be useful for me in my life.

Fast forward 7 weeks, I have just completed the course, I have enrolled to a University to study Social Psychology and I am looking for new career opportunities. The course helped to ignite and grow my passion for psychology and how society can use it to make our world a better place.

Big thank you to Coursera and especially professor Scott Plous. It's been an entertaining, useful and all along awesome journey that has changed my life already and helped me adjust the direction of my future life.