Back to Spanish Vocabulary: Meeting People

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Spanish Vocabulary: Meeting People by University of California, Davis

¡Hola! ¿Como Estas? In this entry level course, you will take the first step toward exploring the foundations of Spanish grammar and pronunciation, and will begin to build a working vocabulary of common Spanish words and expressions. You will be able to talk about yourself, your family and friends in the present tense, and begin to explore the cultural context of the Spanish-speaking world through a series of videos and interactive activities, including speaking, reading and writing exercises. The adventure begins here, so ¡vámanos!...

GT

Dec 29, 2020

This course is very interacting! Though they only give brief lessons, what I like about it the most are the activities it offers for you to brush up your skills more. Definitely a good recommendation!

MP

Nov 9, 2018

Although it took me a while to warm to the idea of doing peer review exercises, and having to video record and upload work, actually I think this is an important part of the course and really useful.

551 - 575 of 725 Reviews for Spanish Vocabulary: Meeting People

By tajman m

Aug 7, 2020

By Jennifer R

Mar 7, 2021

This is a very good course for the price! It teaches some basic conversational skills, and the professor speaks clearly and is likable. I imagine it would be overwhelming for the true beginner who knows zero Spanish, as this course takes off quite quickly. Just by living in California, I had picked some very basic Spanish, plus I speak French, so that helped me. Nonetheless, I could not have gotten through this course easily without being able to search online for explanations of conjugations and using a translation tool. Be prepared to rewatch the videos multiple times. The course could be improved by providing more reference information, especially in the Gramática section (vocabulary list PDFs are given weekly, but do not include stuff like conjugations and counting numbers). It could also be improved with more videos of Spanish speakers in the Perspectivas sections, and more exercises in the Vocabulario section. Sometimes the quizzes include material that has not been taught yet, which is frustrating. With just a little improvement, this course would easily merit 5 stars.

By Oxana L

Dec 13, 2020

In general, I liked this course. I took two college semesters of Spanish during the last academic year, so most of vocabulary was familiar to me. It was a good course to brush up my Spanish. Some minor problems in the course assignments: some minor typos and mistakes, a couple of times automatic grading machine graded my answer as wrong while it was correct. For the last assignment it said that video recorded presentation was optional and yet required that it would be uploaded in order to submit this assignment. I suggest that someone should proofread these assignments. Also, I would gladly make a screenshot of my problems and I would send it to someone in charge, but I don't know, who I should send it to.

By Foivi-Vasiliki C

Feb 2, 2021

If you have a previous experience with Spanish you will find this course very useful and interesting. I really enjoyed all the exercises, videos and quizzes. But, in my opinion the peer-graded assignment is a little bit unfair and inaccurate. Personally, I took a lot of time to make a fair review to my peers, but on the other side this didn’t happen. Maybe some students are bored to do this and they didn’t pay a lot of attention to understand your work and make useful comments. It’ s an interesting way of learning, but I think it will be better if the professor or someone else check the reviews in the end for mistakes. Except the last part I really enjoyed the course.

By Stephen M

Jun 4, 2021

The content is generally good and clear, after some initial disorientation at the beginning. Vocabulary practice is the best structured and contains strong practice opportunities our of all the activities. Unit tests always test on unit verb conjugations before they've actually been discussed or practiced; quizzes not infrequently require knowledge of vocabulary that hasn't been covered. More structured practice activities with verb conjugations and other grammar points, even if optional, would allow the user to solidify the content more clearly, as opposed to the more simple "practice on your own" currently offered.

By Charmaigne M

Feb 20, 2022

I am very thankful for this course. I started learning Spanish this year. It was just a moment of interest in Duolingo and I fell in love with it. Now, I can learn and understand more with this course. If I have to say something, I would really want the instructor to give more explanations about the grammar and more examples of vocabulary. It was actually fast. If I didn't learn a bit of Spanish from Duolingo, I think this course will be really hard. It was that fast. I am not sure if it's really a beginner-friendly. Anyway, thank you, Coursera and UC Davis for this course. I am grateful for the learning.

By Leslie D

Mar 10, 2017

I found the course very helpful in terms of vocabulary and grammar and I will continue practicing with it. There are a few errors here and there that need to be corrected in the quizzes and such. The main issue is that while it is billed as a vocabulary course, and starts with simple concepts, it is more of an intermediate than a beginner course for someone who has never studied a foreign language before. It is more like a course for padding out your vocabulary and practicing grammatical constructions than a language learning course.

By Xine A

Aug 1, 2019

It's a good course and I like that Professor Blake is not a native speaker because it shows how an American speaker can have good pronunciation and accent in a reachable way. Three things would make the course better for me -- 1. If there were more and more specialized exercises for each top, 2. If the exercises were placed next to the corresponding videos so that I could master one area before moving on to the next topic, and 3. If I could see the translation of the Perspectivas after completing the questions that follow.

By Clarence A

Oct 19, 2020

I loved this course and it was an interesting and efficient way to either review your Spanish or learn the fundamentals of the language. If you're learning Spanish through another medium, such as a podcast, Duolingo, Memrise, whichever, this would be a great supplement to those lessons. The practices and word choice they gave are ideal in giving you a working foundation in the language but it's not enough to help you grasp how sentence construction and word formation works. Overall, still a pretty great course!

By Kit H

Oct 3, 2021

If I had never seen any spanish before, I would have been more than a little lost with this. It was an absolutely brilliant refresher. Some of the tests test more than where they are positioned (the vocabulary tests require conjugation in the next grammar section), and there's a lot of vocab used not on the list (though that's sometimes helpful). The html5 / flash plugin is slow and difficult to use - anki is a much better flashcard / memorization program. Peer review is... a mixed bag.

By Erin

May 8, 2019

Very good for the opportunity to learn speaking exercises because you have to combine sentences together in order to make the language easier to understand. The grammar here is also amazing. I am at the beginner-intermediate level and before this course and I still learned a lot from this class.

The only downside is that they had a confusing quiz model that I never could figure out.

By Andy H

Jul 1, 2019

Good content, videos and quizzes. Introduces a substantial amount of vocabulary. I believe the course would be better if there were either practices (i.e. not quizzes) or guidance on where to go for practice. Unfortunately, a lot of learning a new language is lots of practice listening, pronouncing and conjugating verbs.

By Nadya Y D

Aug 15, 2020

The class is perfect for beginner! I love the perspective section where we can immerse ourselves into Spanish rooted culture. The only thing that I find as problem is task submission for peer grading in which peers can't access each other's video links and documents thus leading to lower peer grading grade.

By Kawaiisquishy • 9 y a

Oct 15, 2017

Good for beginner, but I got a little difficulty when joined this course. My suggest for new learners who never learn Spanish language should learn a little basic vocabulary and greeting in Spanish before take this course. Overal this is good course for people who want to learn Spanish language.

By 台師大林怡暄

Sep 25, 2021

This class will teach you Spanish grammar and vocabulary, but I don’t think it is suitable for learners with no experience at all. Because the content is relatively streamlined, the progress is relatively fast. Therefore, it is recommended that people with basic knowledge come to study.

By Amber

Nov 17, 2017

I loved it! Enjoyed the class and the direction it took. Very creative class. For me it seemed to be positive and upbeat. I needed some major help as this was my very first Spanish class. I could use some explanation on some more rules for verbs. But overall it was great!

By Raghav G

Absolutely a wonderful course for beginners who want to understand Spanish and want to speak fluently. The teacher Robert Blake ok is wonderful, makes you understand the vocabulary and the course material easily.

By LIYUN C

Aug 18, 2020

it is a great lesson! But i hope there are more instructions to help us memorize the vocabularies. Also, it will be better if the grammar part can be lengthened and spend more time, give more examples.

By Amey M

Jun 28, 2020

I think it was one of the best courses I have pursued. I just feel there should English translation for spanish questions in the quiz for week 1as it is difficult to comprehend in the beginning

By Priya R

Aug 3, 2021

this course is super dooper amazing.

i have learnt n no of things while doing this course and will prefer everyone

the classes are so interesting that you are able to learn everything