Back to Databases and SQL for Data Science with Python

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Databases and SQL for Data Science with Python by IBM

Much of the world's data resides in databases. SQL (or Structured Query Language) is a powerful language which is used for communicating with and extracting data from databases. A working knowledge of databases and SQL is a must if you want to become a data scientist. The purpose of this course is to introduce relational database concepts and help you learn and apply foundational knowledge of the SQL language. It is also intended to get you started with performing SQL access in a data science environment. The emphasis in this course is on hands-on and practical learning . As such, you will work with real databases, real data science tools, and real-world datasets. You will create a database instance in the cloud. Through a series of hands-on labs you will practice building and running SQL queries. You will also learn how to access databases from Jupyter notebooks using SQL and Python. No prior knowledge of databases, SQL, Python, or programming is required. Anyone can audit this course at no-charge. If you choose to take this course and earn the Coursera course certificate, you can also earn an IBM digital badge upon successful completion of the course. LIMITED TIME OFFER: Subscription is only $39 USD per month for access to graded materials and a certificate....

BS

Amazing course for beginners! The entire course is well structured and has good hands-on assignments. SQL is extremely essential for Database management and fun learning so please do try this one out!

PK
Aug 19, 2020

A very useful course with some very interesting datasets/Jupyter notebooks to work through/practice your skills. Offers a good balanced blend between theory and practical/practice. Very good course!

101 - 125 of 1,696 Reviews for Databases and SQL for Data Science with Python

By Tan G T R

Jul 27, 2020

Very buggy course for it to be enjoyable. Not exactly worth it

By MERCHANT M I

Jul 23, 2021

Instructions regarding peer-graded assignments are not clear.

By Simona L

Aug 8, 2019

I had extremely bad experience with IBM db2. Do not recommend

By Norshuhaida B A R

Dec 15, 2020

the theory is very complex and difficult to understand.

By Mill L

Jul 7, 2020

Rubbish, I don't even understand why its rating is 4.7.

By Maria B

Jan 16, 2019

I actually liked this course. It introduces you to all the basic SQL commands (select, aggregate functions (min, max, sum, avg), joins etc). The labs enable you to create tables in the DB2 database (=the IBM database) and query them from a Jupyter Notebook. I have my own Jupyter Notebook installed , however, you can run and practice queries on the IBM environment as well. Then I liked that in the final assignment in week 5, the last problem 7 was a bit challenging ( I spent some 2 hours on this problem alone! searching the internet and the course forum. As a result, I did memorise how the INNER JOIN command works!!). The rest of the problems really had the same simple commands as in the labs. Finally, I received a helpful response from Rav Ahuja, the tutor of this course, the following day after I posted my question. I liked that rather than giving me a ready command, he pointed me to a general solution to this problem (in case I encounter the same problem again). Overall, I'm impressed with this course.

Hint: please save your log in credentials and the link to Dashboard-IBM Cloud from Lab1/week 1, you'll need to use them many times in other labs and the final assignment!

By Zalina R

Mar 20, 2021

I really enjoyed this course! I saw negative reviews, but I still decided to pass it. I was attracted to this course by the fact that here, in modules 4 and 5, a bundle of Python and SQL was studied. I am 100% satisfied. I really liked the presentation of the material on SQL, and also liked the real experience of interacting with a database in the cloud. Yes, this will be a specific IBM cloud DB2, but after understanding the specifics of working with it, you can switch to the API of another database and another system.

The passage was not without technical difficulties, but I would warn you about 2 points - when registering for IBM cloud, use the mail domain gmail.com, and 2 - when loading tables in db2, do not pay attention to error messages, but rather check whether the tables were loaded manually. Otherwise, there were no problems.

For me, this was the best sql course I ever took. Although perhaps I liked it also because I already know something about SQL and work with Python, so it really suited me.

By Dr_G@ur

Jul 19, 2020

Though compact, the course doesn't seem to miss out anything on Databases and SQL as far as a new programmer like me is concerned. The instructor is awesome and so are the videos, readings and labs. Nowhere you would feel that prior experience with programming is a must to assimilate the concepts taught in the course.

Programming is a hurdle for many who aspire to be a Data Scientist. So this course would definitely provide a solid ground to people new to programming but gritty enough to be a Data Scientist and would help them in realizing their dream. The course is well desined, and specially well taught and the team would have really broken a sweat to make this course what it is. Loved it!

By Alpesh G

Jul 21, 2021

Describe SQL and Database, Explain the syntax of basic SQL statements, composed and executed CREATE TABLE, ALTER, DROP, and TRUNCATE statements hands-on on a live database. Demonstrated how to write sub-queries and nested select. Demonstrated how to perform simplified database access from Python using SQL magic, how to connect to a database from a Jupyter notebook, use of invoking SQL queries from Jupyter notebooks using Python. Lastly the Peer-Graded assignment test all my knowledge which I gained through this course.

Thank you IBM and Coursera for this beautiful course.

By SUJITH K

May 19, 2019

This course is very helpful to learn SQL fundamentals and to implement it in IBM cloud platform.

I am belonging to a poor family and i was very much interested to learn database management system and Coursera provided me the perfect platform to learn Databases and SQL for Data Science.

I would recommend all of you people who is interested to learn SQL to start with this course because it provide depth fundamental of SQL.

Thank you for providing an perfect platform to learn SQL.

By Vũ V H

May 25, 2021

Although I find the lab work is challenging, I often find myself have to refer back to the material to be able to complete them. That's not necessarily a bad thing, though, since they does help build good foundational knowledge for SQL and thorough understanding of the subjects.

Thankfully (for me), the exams and quizzes are not nearly as hard as the quizzes, so I can still manage to pull through with ease.

100% would recommend this course to anyone learning SQL.

By Narayana P G

Oct 10, 2020

Course material and teachers have delivered the information very clearly and made sure it is well understood through lecture videos and documented python-notebooks, with hints and solutions for every problem in the exercise.

In the final assignment the snapshot datasets were inaccessible and were throwing a HTTP 404 error. Nevertheless, thanks for thinking ahead and providing the source link, which made it easier to download data and finish the course.

By Ferenc F P

Feb 26, 2019

I had never worked in SQL, so this course definitely provided me a good grounding on database handling. I do not have too much experience with pandas library of python, and this course provided me some hints on deepening my understanding in pandas, and the logical connection between pandas and SQL. It was also good to see the techniques which can be applied in Jupyter notebook or in python code itself to use SQL commands.

By Samuel K N

May 10, 2021

Out of all the previous courses I've done in the Data Analyst Professional Certificate by IBM, this one feels the most balanced and interesting in the delivery.

There were a few technical issues during the delivery, particularly with the hands-on labs, and for that I recommend to be comfortable using Watson, get familiar with db2 and other forms of SQL, in case you have to get around them. Also the Forums help.

By Pushpit K

Dec 25, 2019

For someone who had learnt SQL back in High School, this course provided me valuable information on some of the more advanced topics and gave an insight of working with real world databases.The basics are taught from scratch and the use of database on cloud made the learning more simpler.So if you want to learn about data science i'd recommend this course and also to those who have some basic knowledge.

By Jonathan L

This course from IBM does a great job bringing all the basics of SQL and concepts around Relational Databases.

And since this is from IBM, which offers Cloud Computing services, the course involves some simple basics of using Cloud services to create databases and interact with them.

SQL language

Relational Database Concepts

Basic Python code

Cloud Services

All of these are all helpful from this course.

By Rick G

Aug 11, 2019

Best class so far in the IBM Data Science Cert program. Well done and really get to working with SQL for data science usage. Has a good intro on SQL and the essentials commands you'll need and then dives into working with datasets and writing SQL statements. Good pacing and the lectures get to the heart of each topic. Labs do a great job of following up on that. Make more classes like this one.

By prahlad p

Mar 28, 2020

For a beginner it is an excellent course. Step by step hands on examples help one to negotiate and learn patiently. Now I have much better understanding of why DBMS is so critical and how one has to use the cloud DBMS remotely. How the tables are created and the significance of Primary and Secondary key. How the queries are run. How to do the joins to handle data from multiple tables.

By Shekhar M S

Apr 14, 2020

Its a very good course. It has both video lectures & hands on Lab simultaneously make learning effective & boosts confidence of a learner. Some issues with lab like unavailability of them due to technical issues makes thing somewhat inconvenient. But coming to learning, course is very good. I would like to thank the instructor & coursera also to provide such opportunity for students.

By Courtney B

Dec 16, 2018

I was basically a newbie coming into this course. I was not great at SQL, and relied heavily upon others to handle writing queries for my reporting. Now, I feel like I can handle quite a lot, and can logically piece together anything I don't yet know. The class covers all of the core fundamentals through joins, and even covers ibm_db api to run queries using Python. Excellent course.

By Ritik K

Jun 17, 2020

Classes have been short and very helpful and descriptive, and the hand-on lab practices give a perfect chance to practice all the stuff whatever we learn so not just concept but we get practical experiences.. however the assignment was a little tough but without hard work and getting stuck it will be worthless learning. Just wanna thanks all of the creators for such a great course..

By ABHIJIT S

Good Day

I am personally thankful and grateful for this opportunity .

Thanks and Warm Regards.

Whatsapp : + 91 8017648297

+ 91 6290750012

By Vaasu G

May 1, 2020

The course is very good and informative. I have been facing one problem nothing with the course actually I had subscribed for the IBM professional Certificate for Data Science. Having completed this course has completed the set of specilization of introduction to Data Science but I have only received the certificate for the specializtion and not the badge. Kindly look into it.

By GAURAV D G

Mar 30, 2020

This course is an excellent material for those who want to learn or excel in the field of DATA SCIENCE or more particulary DATABASE part of data science and perform various operations on large data persent in the from CSV or other file formats, by loading them into DATABSE and manipulating on analyzing data with help of some powerful progamming languages such as python.

By Ankur G

Apr 19, 2020

A good course to learn basics of Databases and SQL so as to facilitate analysis and visualization of data to make effective decisions. I thank the professors to make this course interesting and worth it. Only thing is, videos can be made in a better way so as to facilitate people with non programming background. Maybe some basics of programming would help.