Back to Databases and SQL for Data Science

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Databases and SQL for Data Science by IBM

Much of the world's data resides in databases. SQL (or Structured Query Language) is a powerful language which is used for communicating with and extracting data from databases. A working knowledge of databases and SQL is a must if you want to become a data scientist. The purpose of this course is to introduce relational database concepts and help you learn and apply foundational knowledge of the SQL language. It is also intended to get you started with performing SQL access in a data science environment. The emphasis in this course is on hands-on and practical learning . As such, you will work with real databases, real data science tools, and real-world datasets. You will create a database instance in the cloud. Through a series of hands-on labs you will practice building and running SQL queries. You will also learn how to access databases from Jupyter notebooks using SQL and Python. No prior knowledge of databases, SQL, Python, or programming is required. Anyone can audit this course at no-charge. If you choose to take this course and earn the Coursera course certificate, you can also earn an IBM digital badge upon successful completion of the course. LIMITED TIME OFFER: Subscription is only $39 USD per month for access to graded materials and a certificate....

BS

Amazing course for beginners! The entire course is well structured and has good hands-on assignments. SQL is extremely essential for Database management and fun learning so please do try this one out!

SA
Apr 22, 2020

The lessons were short and easy to follow, providing all the basics as well as a few more advanced topics, to get student quickly up-to-speed on databases and SQL and their application in D/S realm.

1301 - 1325 of 1,391 Reviews for Databases and SQL for Data Science

By Sanja M

Sep 1, 2019

There are not enough exercises and videos are almost usefull

By Emily

Oct 8, 2018

Easy to follow. But not explained why should it be in detail.

By Varun B

Mar 22, 2020

It is a good course to learn SQL and Python interfaced DBMS.

By Niklas M

Jun 6, 2019

Good course, however, it uses a lot of IBM specific tools.

Videos in each week can be repetitive and/or overlapping

By Жигмытов Ц

Sep 20, 2020

Need more practice and less IBM advertisement =)

By AntoStain

Sep 10, 2020

The exercises should be more challenging.

By Rohit T G

May 11, 2019

Awesome course. Please also provide job.

By Abdullah A S S

Aug 3, 2019

dude make the course a bit more human

By Nitin C

found it a tad bit challenging

By Giridhar K

Apr 30, 2020

Not up to the expectation

By mert e

May 9, 2020

ok

By Lahiri B

Oct 19, 2020

Graded peer assignment links are not working. It seems no one actively maintains the course content. Never expected this from IBM

By Jason L

Apr 28, 2019

The beginning started simple enough to follow. The learning curve jumps from 0 to 100 in a short time. Not an ideal intro course. The labs are much more complex than what is taught. Instructions how to restart and operate a Run a new SQL was not shown and I had to spend lots of time trying to figure it out on my own. The powerpoints and information are easy to follow but the ease of use through IBM's platform is not friendly. Definitely easier places to learn as I have taken other courses online for intro SQL. I wouldn't recommend purchasing this. I'd either use it in a Free Trial or Audit it. For that value, you can spend your money elsewhere.

By Aj _

Aug 9, 2019

1. Lots of the slides have repetitive content, for Ex. different type of joins, Every slide have some repeating lines/audio. Could have taken some different use case or else could have combined it making it a single slide for each joins.

2. The "Table Loading Issue" its been a week now I am facing this issue, even have posted in the forum, the solution provided is also not working. Every time I try loading the table in db2 it fails, without giving any error/warning message. I am almost done except a few assignments and final peer graded assignment due to this I am not able to complete my course.

By nakul g

Jun 4, 2020

I did not find the course structure, contents, way of teaching at all good.

I spent more time figuring out how to upload data on IBM DB2 storage than practising. I feel in this course coursera must look into ways to make it more learnable, I seriously will say, I was unable to learn anything from this course I had to spend alot of time on google and other learning websites to figure out how to code in SQL.

In many assignments I just had to skip them because connecting to IBM is very stressful and difficult thats why I was mostly able not to connect with it.

By Samantha R

Aug 6, 2019

The main reason for my low rating is the following:

1. The endless issues with the db2 console - an absolute nightmare to work with if you are not in the USA. Horrible experience. This slowed my progress down significantly to the point where I no longer wanted to carry on with this course

2.Not enough practical examples - as a result when doing the assignment, you want to tear out your hair. By my estimate, the Assignment should take no more than an hour if you have worked through everything.

By Kornelia M

Nov 14, 2019

Nice content, but lot of struggles with the tools. Watson studio has updated/changed the layout since the course was created, the content and description of the tasks in many cases don't live up to the real life situation. That's very frustrating, and you can see lots of people experience it if you check the weekly discussion forum. If the tool worked better (and if it would be better descried, as for somebody who never worked in Watson studio before) it would have been 5 stars.

By Yohanes A C G

Sep 5, 2020

I don't think the peer graded assignment is reviewed objectively based on the rubrics. The reviewer did not leave any comments about my "wrong" answers. I can not find where I did wrong as I already included the required clause in the query statements and got the right results. This is somehow disappointing. Even though I passed the course, but I got a lower score than I expected. I did not get any information about my "wrong" answer.

By Dang T L V

Sep 22, 2019

Too complicated to debug about the IBM tools, Its took me a tone of time just wandering to check password and username and too many errors without any solutions. I quite all the course not because I could not understand the content or could not do the exercises or lab, just because of the IBM tool too annoying, complicated and the instructions are out of date, also not details.