Back to Databases and SQL for Data Science with Python

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Databases and SQL for Data Science with Python by IBM Skills Network

Much of the world's data resides in databases. SQL (or Structured Query Language) is a powerful language which is used for communicating with and extracting data from databases. A working knowledge of databases and SQL is a must if you want to become a data scientist. The purpose of this course is to introduce relational database concepts and help you learn and apply foundational knowledge of the SQL language. It is also intended to get you started with performing SQL access in a data science environment. The emphasis in this course is on hands-on and practical learning . As such, you will work with real databases, real data science tools, and real-world datasets. You will create a database instance in the cloud. Through a series of hands-on labs you will practice building and running SQL queries. You will also learn how to access databases from Jupyter notebooks using SQL and Python. No prior knowledge of databases, SQL, Python, or programming is required. Anyone can audit this course at no-charge. If you choose to take this course and earn the Coursera course certificate, you can also earn an IBM digital badge upon successful completion of the course. LIMITED TIME OFFER: Subscription is only $39 USD per month for access to graded materials and a certificate....

BS

Amazing course for beginners! The entire course is well structured and has good hands-on assignments. SQL is extremely essential for Database management and fun learning so please do try this one out!

SA

Apr 22, 2020

The lessons were short and easy to follow, providing all the basics as well as a few more advanced topics, to get student quickly up-to-speed on databases and SQL and their application in D/S realm.

1951 - 1975 of 2,041 Reviews for Databases and SQL for Data Science with Python

By Yi C H

Jun 14, 2022

IBM DB2 database didn't give me good using experience.

By Nitika K

Sep 20, 2020

Not suitable for non computers background students.

By Ray Y

Jul 15, 2019

WHY FORCE ME USE THE IBM CLOUD? SO COMPLICATED

By abdelkarim b

Mar 3, 2020

The IBM tools are so unfriendly to new users

By Abhilash L

Jun 20, 2018

Last few lessons are not clearly explained.

By Lucreziamaria C

Oct 18, 2021

T​here are so much errors in notebooks!

By Roderick W

Apr 4, 2020

The voice-over makes me wanna sleep.

By Long N K H

Jun 11, 2020

The Lab env sometimes has trouble.

By Ashwin D

Apr 29, 2020

Expected more from an IBM course.

By Bharat b b

Jun 28, 2020

needed to update many topics

By Fei C

very simple

By Hakki K

Jul 9, 2020

Hi,

I completed entire program and received the Professional Certificate. On the Coursera link of my certificate "3 weeks of study, 2-3 hours/week average per course" is written. This information is not correct at all, it takes approximately 3 times of that time on average! I informed Coursera about it but no correction was made. It should be corrected with "it takes approximately 19 hours study per course" or "Approx. 10 months to complete Suggested 4 hours/week for the Professional Certificate".

Here is the approximate duration for each course can be found one by one clicking the webpages of the courses in the professional certificate webpage: (*)

Course 1: approximately 9 hours to complete

Course 6: approximately 16 hours to complete

Course 7: approximately 16 hours to complete

Course 8: approximately 20 hours to complete

Course 9: approximately 47 hours to complete

This makes in total approximately 169 hours to complete the Professional Certificate. As there are 9 courses, each course takes approximately 19 hours (=169/9) to complete.

(*): https://www.coursera.org/professional-certificates/ibm-data-science?utm_source=gg&utm_medium=sem&campaignid=1876641588&utm_content=10-IBM-Data-Science-US&adgroupid=70740725700&device=c&keyword=ibm%20data%20science%20professional%20certificate%20coursera&matchtype=b&network=g&devicemodel=&adpostion=&creativeid=347453133242&hide_mobile_promo&gclid=Cj0KCQjw0Mb3BRCaARIsAPSNGpWPrZDik6-Ne30To7vg20jGReHOKi4AbvstRfSbFxqA-6ZMrPn1gDAaAiMGEALw_wcB

By Hawa S

Mar 24, 2022

The main issue with this course is the tools that we have to use in order to complete assignments. Learning and understanding SQL was the simple part. What I struggled with most was using IBM's DB2. This course needs to be updated and explained thoroughly because the way I struggled with just trying to get the systems to work was unnecessary. I never been so frustrated over an assignment before and this left me very discouraged. If there are any fellow students that are reading this you will need a lot of patience with this course ad if this reaches any professors ir people in charge of this course I hope that you look into this issue immediately and update the course to make the instructions clearer and more concise.

By Mallory S

May 7, 2022

Most of the courses in the IBM data analysis certificate are annoying, but this one takes the fucking cake. i spent most of my time in this course trying to get their external tools to load and/or work properly. the videos suffer, as usual, from an apparent complete failure to proofread. the hands-on labs have the same problem. i never set up a connection with a db2 database on IBM because no one responded to the support case i opened on instruction from an otherwise deeply obfuscating error message. i waited a week for support when i should have been studying. i dunno if IBM is really in the business of developing skills, 'cause they seem to be merely in the business of pissing me the fuck off

By Yogesh R

Aug 4, 2021

Lab are the most frustrating. these are the place from where we as student get hands on experience but these instruction and IBM software platform doesn't work smoothly. We had to work on IBM based software platform such as IBN database(Ibm db2), Watson studio. I had issue in ibm bd2 software platforms loading tables and creating new credentials and could not fix that issue for several days finally gave up IBM Data Science course in "Databases and SQL for Data Science with Python". Not recommended, hope you don't get frustrated at the middle of the course

By Linh N

Jan 17, 2022

there have been numerous fail attempts to connect to Jupiter notebook to work on the assignments from me and from other peers that I can see in the discussion forum. everyone has their own technical issues which we should not have from the first place, then we have to figure out to fix ourselves based on some vague instructions from your staffs, nothing helped me unfortunately. the level of frustration exceeds the value of the course so I have to leave. Honestly please do not put up more poorly designed course like this.

By Masked P

Dec 31, 2021

W​aste of time if I can't use the resources you prefer.

O​n two occassions, separated by at least two weeks, I attempted to obtain an IBM Cloud account. On both occasions the IBM sign up process errored out with:

O​f course this error doesn't occur til well after their attempts to collect some PII.

W​ith some of the other problems I've experienced in other Coursera classes I have to wonder if Coursera is trying to become the next Udemy.

By Craig S M

Feb 7, 2022

Content wise this course is fine.

The problem is the use of IBM cloud. If your free trial runs out the course offers a coupon for more time. However this coupon is no longer offered. You can't access IBM cloud and then you can't complete the course.

It took me several, emotional hours trying to fix it before I contacted coursera customer service to help me. The organisers of the actual course from IBM were very unhelpful/didn't care.

By Vinicius S

Jul 15, 2022

Little to no programming in this course. Lessons were purely theoretical. The quizzes were a joke, since we just had to memorize a bunch of useless words.

We spent more time learning about IBM's terrible programs

Only good thing about this is that I managed to complete the whole "Introduction to Data Science" specialization during the free trial period.

Don't waste and money and look for a better course at DataCamp or CodeCademy

By Sumeet C

May 9, 2022

T​his course forces us to use the IBM Cloud database, which is fine up to the point if one can use it. I have spent so many hours trying to access the IBM cloud using the subscription voucher provided in the course, but it kept giving an error. I was never able to access the account, due to which I couldn't complete my final assignment. There is no option of contacting someone to fix the error. It was such a waste of time!

By Yunus E B

Jul 14, 2022

I​t is absolutely terrible! I am glad that I have scholarship for this course and I didn't pay for it. Lots of issues with IBM Cloud and they are not well-addressed by TAs and stuff. Course is very limited in terms of its SQL coverage and assessments at the end of weeks are poorly-designed. I definitely do not recommend this course. There are way better courses on SQL on other platforms such as Udemy and EdX.

By Angela W

Jul 4, 2022

This course may have been good, but the password security requirements to set up the IBM cloud account to do the practice work was impossible to acheive. After an hour of trying many passwords, including those from password generators designed to create strong passwords, I was never able to sucessfully create an account so I was forced to stop the course.

By Zach E

Oct 25, 2020

all the proprietory IBM Watson and cloud services stuff just distracts from the meat of what I wanted out of the course series. It's not user friendly and required so many steps that had nothing to do with data it was far more frustrating than helpful. I hated every step of the first 5 courses. I'd really like my money back.