Back to SQL for Data Science

Learner Reviews & Feedback for SQL for Data Science by University of California, Davis

As data collection has increased exponentially, so has the need for people skilled at using and interacting with data; to be able to think critically, and provide insights to make better decisions and optimize their businesses. This is a data scientist, “part mathematician, part computer scientist, and part trend spotter” (SAS Institute, Inc.). According to Glassdoor, being a data scientist is the best job in America; with a median base salary of $110,000 and thousands of job openings at a time. The skills necessary to be a good data scientist include being able to retrieve and work with data, and to do that you need to be well versed in SQL, the standard language for communicating with database systems. This course is designed to give you a primer in the fundamentals of SQL and working with data so that you can begin analyzing it for data science purposes. You will begin to ask the right questions and come up with good answers to deliver valuable insights for your organization. This course starts with the basics and assumes you do not have any knowledge or skills in SQL. It will build on that foundation and gradually have you write both simple and complex queries to help you select data from tables. You'll start to work with different types of data like strings and numbers and discuss methods to filter and pare down your results. You will create new tables and be able to move data into them. You will learn common operators and how to combine the data. You will use case statements and concepts like data governance and profiling. You will discuss topics on data, and practice using real-world programming assignments. You will interpret the structure, meaning, and relationships in source data and use SQL as a professional to shape your data for targeted analysis purposes. Although we do not have any specific prerequisites or software requirements to take this course, a simple text editor is recommended for the final project. So what are you waiting for? This is your first step in landing a job in the best occupation in the US and soon the world!...

JP
Apr 5, 2020

This course has really helped with optimizing queries that I work with everyday, enhancing my understanding of RDBMS, joins, analyzing and structuring exactly what you need and yielding those results.

AL
Aug 21, 2020

A comprehensive course that covers major aspects of query building and retrieval in a management system. The topics were delivered well and the materials/assignments were relevant for skill-building.

226 - 250 of 2,488 Reviews for SQL for Data Science

By Ferran T

Jan 31, 2021

Perfect to learn SQLite commands for the first time. The teacher explains all topics clearly and it is easy to understand and follow. Activities are useful and the peer-assignment is a good way of applying everything learned.

By Rama

Apr 13, 2020

This course introduced why SQL is a fundamental skill worth learning. Step by step tutorials helps to learn quickly through each exercise. I would certainly take more online courses from this teacher Sadie. Thank you, Sadie!

By Sarah R

May 11, 2021

As someone with no coding experience, this course did an excellent job of helping me jump into the world of SQL. I feel like I know what SQL does and can do, and what my next steps are if I want to become even better at it.

By Joe D

Jun 26, 2019

Great course for a beginner or novice SQL learner! I especially enjoyed that the course is focused on learning SQL to be applied to data science scenarios. Useful for anyone interested in improving their SQL query knowledge

By Imtiaz F

Nov 17, 2020

Thanks to Coursera for giving me this opportunity. Thanks to Sadie St. Lawrence, who is a great instructor! I have learnt so many techniques to work with database that will help me to be a data science engineer in future.

By PHAM N P A

Jul 13, 2020

This course is useful for people wishing to understand SQL basic. The presentation is lively with simple example to replicate. Each section is from 5-15 minutes, suitable for people who do not have long time span each day.

By Sarah S

Nov 5, 2019

This was a really solid class to understand and apply basic concepts. It requires that you put some work in, especially if you're less familiar with SQL, but it has been useful to me already in refining some of my coding.

By Dikshant l

Mar 4, 2019

A really good course. They have covered all the details starting from the basics and made sure you have understood everything through quizes. The quizes are also great and cover all the concepts taught during the videos

By Shahryar S

Nov 10, 2020

It was a great experience to have a course. It was my first ever course as Online. I am thinking that the journey has started and it will never end. I also have selected the next course that I will complete in the next.

By MANIMARAN V

Nov 7, 2020

Excellent...! The Course was very well taught by the Lecturer Sadie St,Lawrence. Its easy to understand if we just listen to her carefully apart from reading from the notes. Thank you very much madam :)

By Jessica R

Jun 4, 2018

This course is excellent! I loved that I could test queries and be creative. I really got to learn what I could (and couldn’t) do with sql. I definitely feel more confident with putting SQL as a skill on my resume now.

By Evgeniia L

Sep 12, 2018

That's a great beginners guide in SQL. What I like about this course is that there's plenty of practice exercises to master your newly acquired knowledge. Highly recommended for those who want to start exploring SQL.

By Karina S

Aug 5, 2019

Great course on the fundamentals of SQL for data analysis. I particularly enjoyed the last assignment. I feel that I have learned a lot (though I also needed to complement it with other SQL courses). Thank you Sadie!

By Dorys Y C S

Jun 29, 2020

This course was excellent for me, learned small things that I did not know existed but that are so powerful when making the querys. Help me optimize the queries, and I will follow the advice: "think before writing"

By Gisella B

Apr 3, 2020

I liked this course a lot. Sadie explains well and the amount of exercises from easy to less easy and more difficult, makes you practice and internalize the concepts. Although more practicing is required of course.

By Sarah P

Mar 25, 2019

This is a great course for those without any prior programming SQL knowledge. It helps if you already have experience working with datasets and if you already know how to program in another language (i.e. SAS, R).

By vivek

Sep 9, 2018

I find this course very helpful, prior to this course I used to think its just a language to query the data from Data base but now I have realized its importance after seeing how it can be helpful for data science.

By Thi T N N

Feb 21, 2021

This course is helpful for beginners in the data science field. Through this course, I have familiarized myself with the SQL language. After this course, I was able to write code for data retrieving and analysis.

By Darshan V

May 9, 2020

It is really a nice course for those who are looking for knowledge regarding Sql and Data Science basics, in a short span of time, So, go fast and grab the certificate and knowledge about sql ,in lets say a week.

By Ramya

Apr 4, 2020

Subject matter was excellent .Final assignment questions were framed in such a manner where readers will understand and practice queries.Tutor was really good and fluent enough to teach us.Thanks a lot Coursera!!

By Anand N

Mar 30, 2019

Good course to learn a overall high-level view of SQL. However, to get the full grasp of SQL you need to practice SQL from external resources as well. This course explains SQL commands in a brief and concise way.

By Jose R L H

Mar 22, 2021

Buen curso, muy bien explicado y excelente para introducirse en SQL, la herramienta de programación que se usa durante los cuestionarios facilita mucho el poder realizar las tarea sin tener que instalar algo.

By William S A

Sep 8, 2020

Great course! I really learned a lot from the videos and instruction. I kept going back and forth a few times. But, I felt comfortable in doing so. Take this if you are just starting in the data science field

By Dave N

May 17, 2019

This course is a great course for people new to SQL. No prior programming experience is necessary, and Sadie is very to-the-point while still being very welcoming and friendly. I highly recommend this course.

By Konstantinos K

Feb 19, 2021

Great Course. Very well structured and comprehensive. The participants get a good grasp of what a database management system is, how it the data are stored in it and how SQL is used to extract data out of it