Back to The Science of Stem Cells

Learner Reviews & Feedback for The Science of Stem Cells by American Museum of Natural History

What promise do stem cells hold for the treatment of medical conditions? In this five-part online course you will explore the history and basic biology of stem cells, learn about new research techniques, and find out how stem cells could lead to cures for diseases and to individualized medicine. You will hear from Museum scientists, medical researchers at the frontiers of the field, and a panel of bioethics experts who will address the ethical implications of stem cell research and therapy. Learn what has already been accomplished, what challenges remain, and what medical breakthroughs may lie ahead....

AD
Nov 27, 2020

Extremely informative course, I'm impressed by the examples and the research potential that stem cells provide. I'm also quite interested in finding out how these treatments will fare in the future.

Jul 2, 2021

A good course for those genuinely interested in stem cells. You will definitely get to learn something more from this course. The objective based questions often cover the topics in video lectures.

26 - 50 of 436 Reviews for The Science of Stem Cells

By Paula M P

Es un buen curso para todos aquellos que quieran saber lo básico sobre el campo de las células madre o para aquellos que quieran ampliar levemente sus conocimientos en el ámbito o sean curiosos.

Si ya tienes conocimiento en este área es posible que te resulte un curso muy básico pero viene muy bien para refrescar conocimientos y reflexionar sobre los problemas éticos que generan estas células. La unidad 5 en especial es soberbia en ese último ámbito.

By Anjali K A

Oct 13, 2021

This course takes us through a rollercoaster ride about the different aspects of stem cell research including the basics, latest research in the area and most importantly the concerned ethical issues.

I would recommend this course to anyone who has basic knowledge in the field of biology and has a fascination towards cell biology in specific. This course can also be an eye opener if you seek to know if stem cell research is the right field for you.

By Rishabh P

Nov 16, 2020

This course was extremely helpful and informative. The course quizzes were based on topics raised in the lectures and readings, which themselves were quite engaging, and enabled me to gain proper basic knowledge about how stem cells are studied and used to create disease treatments. The prospect of future development of treatment of macular degeneration and the ethical panel discussion as exceptionally fun to watch and learn about.

By Kaustav M

Jul 9, 2020

This is perhaps the best basic course on Stem cell biology that I have ever come across. Concepts were explained simply. Got to learn a lot about iPSCs, how stem cells are cultured in the lab, what cutting edge research is being done with the stem cells. Also, the important aspect of Bioethics of stem cells was an important area of discussion and learning which every future stem cell researcher needs to understand. Amazing course!!

By Aparna S

Aug 11, 2020

The course is beautifully designed and has covered every aspect from knowing what a stem cell is to its applications to its ethical concerns. It provided a great and complete overview about stem cells. Highly recommended to those who wish to know the future potential of stem cell biology and the latest advancements in stem cell technology. I would like to thank my instructor Dr. Zehra Dincer for introducing such an amazing course.

By ALEXANDER E

Sep 2, 2019

I enrolled into "The Science of Stem Cells" course because I am living with incurable illness (T1D) and I wanted to gain educational insight behind the potential treatment advancements of Stem Cell Research. I loved how the course is laid out, explains various details about the nearly limitless good medical applications this could become integrated with our daily lives to participate in the future of medicine.

By Kris H

Nov 11, 2020

I learned a great amount about stem cells while taking this course. I went from knowing very little about stem cells to feeling confident in my understanding and opinions on ethical issues associated with the field. I would highly recommend this course to anyone who has an interest in human biology, anatomy/physiology, or the future of medicine. Thank you for your work!

By Michelle C

May 8, 2020

I gained much more knowledge on topics related to stem cells, but not limited to stem cells, such as human chimeras, CRISPR/Cas9 gene editing technology and etc,. The lesson I found most interesting is the one in week 5, which is about the ethical and moral issues behind the use of embryonic stem cells and other related areas. In general, I really enjoyed the course.

By Adelle M

Jun 25, 2020

Easy to complete in your own time at your place of work or at home in your own time makes this course more flexible for anyone who may struggle to find time to get the hours in

The modules were very interesting and informative and good to test your new skills and knowledge each week

Highly recommend for anyone working within or around stem cells and stem cell research

By Hamza M

May 22, 2019

I really enjoyed this course. This course has increased my knowledge about stem cells that how it can be used for the treatment of different kinds of diseases like Alzheimer's etc. Moreover, I studied about the development of embryo. There're many things which I have learned from this course. That was a great time for me being there.

By Manuel A O M

Jan 25, 2020

I've been working in the field of stem cells. Thus, from my point of view the course is well structured, the information is precise and easy for beginners, and one can understand easily the contents in it. Maybe, I would have liked it a bit more difficult for me, however, I learned new things and I strongly recommend it to others.

By Abdu M

Mar 6, 2021

Tokat Gaziosmanpaşa Üniversitesinde Genetik ve Biyomühendislik 2 sınıf öğrencisiyim, üniversite de yeterli bilgi veremiyorlar zamna yetmediği için bizde kurslara başvuruyoruz. Bu kök hücre bilimi hem bildiklerimle birleştirip hemde benim hangi dalda yüksek lisans yapacağıma yön verdi. Ayrıca Eğitmenim türk olduğu için gururluyum.

By Abhishek S

Aug 13, 2020

This course has been one of the most interesting courses available online. The speakers explain each and everything so precisely that one can fall in love with stem cells. The whole course is on one side and the last module on bioethics is on the other. I never thought subjects like ethics could be so interesting and funny too.

By Amruta G

Jun 19, 2020

The field of stem cell research interests me a lot and this course proved as a food for my thought regarding the same. The course was very well structured, the most awesome part being putting across recent cutting-edge research in the field. Awaiting more courses from AMNH on the topic of stem cells. Thank you very much.

By Joyson D

Mar 3, 2019

This course has taught me some of the basic and advance technologies used in stem cells research that is currently in practice.A very nice and well explained course for people seeking knowledge on stem cells.Many thanks to the American Museum of Natural History and also Dr. Zehra Dincer for being a very good instructor.

By James B

Aug 13, 2019

VERY GOOD OVERVIEW COURSE RE STEM CELLS!!! HIGHLY RECOMMENDED... Hopefully, Coursera will offer MANY MORE courses re STEM CELLS (& RELATED stuff)...

I previously have read MANY scientific articles & books re stem cells... This was the CLEAREST -- most FOCUSED / CONDENSED compilation that I've encountered -- BY FAR...

By Deemi O

Nov 26, 2020

I really enjoyed this course, it’s a very interesting way to introduce someone -who, at least, has heard of stem cells before- to a wide variety of things that we are capable of doing with stem cells. I learned a lot and definitely made me curious to keep on learning more, or even work, in the future, with stem cells!

By Sam T

Oct 30, 2019

This course is ideal for complete beginners like me to the field. The teaching of the history, development, techniques and ethics in the field are done well while being scientifical and respectful to everyone's personal views. I would highly recommend taking this enjoyable course to learn about stem cells.

By Rohit P

Jun 20, 2020

Very well compiled and exceptionally delivered by all the professor including the spectacular 2 main professors. The last week is very insightful into the ideas from the other side ( the one against stem cell research ) and helped me get a good look into the real world scenarios surrounding this field!

By Pragya B

Nov 9, 2020

I would like to thank Dr. Zehra Dincer for teaching about the stem cells and all the other experts who have shared their projects and held discussions to explain the concepts in a very clear and good manner. I had an amazing time learning the course. It will surely help me in building my career.

By MUHAMMAD Z A F

Apr 9, 2020

An amazing course, I searched about Stem Cell courses to fined this course

Dr. Zehra was an excellent researcher, and she attracted me to do more research on stem research

I'm doing M.Sc right now and I hope one day I'll meet Dr. Zehra either in Turkey or the USA.

Highly recommended to do.

Enjoy.

By Beatric S

Sep 28, 2020

An excellent course and understood well. All the Professors were par excellent. I am happy that i took this course. Learnt a lot. I want to Thank all the Professors and Coursera for providing a Platform for us who cannot afford to give us Free online courses.Abig thank you and GOD bless

By Preeti S

Jun 29, 2021

Great course for starters and even professionals who want to introduce themselves to the ethical issues that revolve around stem cell research. Beginners may learn the kind of research that is going on and the technical advancements in this field. Great course with great instructors!

By Satish K

This is really fantastic course . The course focused from basic to advance happenings in area of stem cell . The discussion panel focused on ethical issues added additional learning beyond science. The instructor of course Dr Zehra Dincer managed and conveyed everything perfectly.

By sampurna g

Mar 22, 2020

The video lectures and reading material provided for each week was informative. Learnt about the discoveries in the world of stem cell biology, how stem cell can be used to treat diseases, the constraints in the research area , how stem cell can be a promising therapy in the future.