Back to Introduction to Sustainability

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Sustainability by University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

This course introduces the academic approach of Sustainability and explores how today’s human societies can endure in the face of global change, ecosystem degradation and resource limitations. The course focuses on key knowledge areas of sustainability theory and practice, including population, ecosystems, global change, energy, agriculture, water, environmental economics and policy, ethics, and cultural history. This subject is of vital importance, seeking as it does to uncover the principles of the long-term welfare of all the peoples of the planet. As sustainability is a cross-disciplinary field of study, this foundation requires intellectual breadth: as I describe it in the class text, understanding our motivations requires the humanities, measuring the challenges of sustainability requires knowledge of the sciences (both natural and social), and building solutions requires technical insight into systems (such as provided by engineering, planning, and management)....

KF
Dec 18, 2016

It is a well prepared course. Contents are carefully organized and plenty of concepts and examples are included and analyzed. Overall, it is a excellent course to get an overview of sustainability.

JW
Nov 28, 2015

This was my first Coursera course, and I wasn't sure what to expect; but was very pleased with the organization, timescale things were run on, and overall neutrality of the course. Very well done!

601 - 625 of 686 Reviews for Introduction to Sustainability

By Laurence C

Apr 14, 2020

A really good overview of the sustainability. It gives the energy (sustainable?) to go further. Just a comment: it would be great to update some videos as the world changes. Thanks

By Mrs T

Oct 6, 2019

Took a while to get used to the prof a bit...but now I think he's great! Also, I like how slow he describes things and how well he explains. I would recommend this class.

By Timothy L

Apr 5, 2020

Very good introduction to Sustainability. It was enjoyable and easy to follow and at the same time I learnt a lot. Some parts are a little bit out of date.

By RICARDO M C

Oct 17, 2020

I changed my mind about sustainability and the current situation in the world with this course, however, the information it is not updated to 2020

By Ryan T

Oct 25, 2019

A great course for general learning on the path of sustainability. You will learn a higher level of science as opposed to politicized propaganda.

By Carlos A S M

Jul 19, 2020

It is a great starting course to engage in sustainability and create solid baseline knowledge foundations to undertake a career in this area.

By Catherine S S

Oct 6, 2019

I loved this course. Learned a lot about Sustainability. I would have liked for the it to be more current. The information is from 2010.

By Suzane G d B A

Jun 14, 2020

I think that the data available for the course must be updated, many information is out of date, but in general is a very good course.

By Jason R

Jan 7, 2017

For an introduction course, the syllabus is thorough and topics are well explained. Video lectures are well put together and engaging.

By Abdul R

Dec 12, 2020

course was somewhat difficult to complete. also make sure students have easy access to course material and quiz at all times.

By Erica B B

Dec 29, 2020

I learned a lot in this course however, some references are kind of obsolete. Nevertheless, its still worthit!

By Ravi P

A very brilliant and fantastic course ....gave entire inside about sustainable development totaly loved it...

By Surendharan B

Sep 18, 2020

Awesome course. Got to know about the environmental policy, pollution measures, stats about population etc.,

By Faizan A

Nov 21, 2015

I would like to thank professor Jonathan Tomkin for teaching this wonderful course. I learnt a lot from him.

By Grace A M

Dec 17, 2015

Muy bueno el curso. Vale la pena recibirlo de manera introductoria, se aprenden buenos conceptos.

By Jessie C

Sep 2, 2020

Very comprehensive although some information is outdated, I would still recommend it though.

By Kate S

Jul 5, 2020

Somewhat dated materials, but overall useful. Enjoyed the flow of videos alongside readings.

By Leandro N

Jul 9, 2020

I think that this course is a little biased to keep status quo of the developed countries.

By Anil k c

Apr 18, 2020

I thoroughly enjoyed during the learning of this course. Thanks to University of Illinois

By Keyur M

Jul 11, 2020

The Course in old of 2012 but still informative. Should add more content to the course

By Jyoti B

May 12, 2020

It was really good experience. I loved the content. It would help me in my career.

By Sakthi M S

Jun 18, 2020

The course is fantastic and it gives a clear cut idea on the society's condition.

By Kabaleeswaran

Oct 19, 2015

excellent course in terms of contents and information.

simple and well presented.

By Jaslyn L

Jul 15, 2020

The quizes were challenging, but overall, I did learned a lot from this course.

By Richard K

Oct 2, 2018

interesting course. I would prefer not to have to pay to complete the quizes.