Back to Introduction to Programming in Swift 5

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Programming in Swift 5 by LearnQuest

Welcome to Introduction to Programming in Swift 5. In this course we will introduce you to the absolute basics of the Swift programming language. Whether you are a brand new programmer or have experience with other programming languages this course is for you. Some of the things you will learn in this course are: • An Introduction to Swift 5 programming concepts • Installing the necessary tools • Working with data such as Integers and Strings • Creating reusable code with functions • Working with data constructs such as arrays and dictionaries • Object-oriented programming • Model View Controller By the end of this course you will know how to build simple programs with the Swift programming language and you will be ready to learn iOS mobile development....

KD
Sep 11, 2020

A well designed course and good tutorials. Just need to be a bit more in detail to explain the core elements as i found some of there were like not discussed in detail. But overall 5/5

SJ
Jul 19, 2020

Overall the course was good and covered almost everything required for an early learner in order to solve problems using swift programming language

101 - 125 of 133 Reviews for Introduction to Programming in Swift 5

By Atif A

Oct 7, 2020

It is a good course but there were some bits that could've been explained better

By Sergey B

Dec 10, 2019

Xcode version in course outdated

By Alejandro G M

Feb 24, 2021

The course is way too simple.

By Tanisha G

Jun 8, 2020

It needs to be more detailed

By Divya V

Jun 6, 2020

The course material is good.

By tushar e

Apr 28, 2020

Great effort

By Mochammad A M

May 13, 2020

oke

By Roman K

Pros:

lecturers lively and emotionally tell. On the top walked on important concepts: OOP, ICC, optionals.

This course actually exists on coursera.

Cons:

Several times lecturer just says: "Go google this". Thank you, but I can google on my own, without any courses.

Сourse materials are done carelessly. typos are found in the code. It was also strange when the lecturer began to print the code, he didn’t succeed, and he simply said: that in general, somehow it can be done.

In the part about the MVP, outdated information. 2017 year, Karl!

The part about MVP is poorly mounted, the lecturer repeats the same eyeliners several times. All this creates a feeling of negligence. And hcode is constantly crashing.

By Penny

Sep 22, 2020

There’s some really good information in this course & the trainers are engaging and informative BUT it does veer wildly from basic beginner stuff to much more advanced stuff in the blink of an eye. It requires a lot of independent reading and research by the student, and if you are prepared to do that, then you will get the most out of this course. Something to be aware of is that if you submit your quizzes via the coursera app then you may find that you will get marked wrong even for the correct answers. My advice is to do all quizzes via the website directly to avoid this bug.

By Nik O

I was looking for a next level course on Swift 5 after not being able to locate anything else (to my liking) on LinkedIn Learning. Current Xcode is at version 11 and Swift 5, however some of the material in the courses are still referencing IOS10 (it's IOS13 currently).

Some part of the XCODE UI has also changed and that necessitated me to google and locate where the buttons are located.

I do however love the MVC and OOP which I have used on MonkeyC (a Garmin coding language) but was not really utilising it to the fullest extend.

By Semyon N

Dec 7, 2020

The course is definitely helpful for initial understanding. However some crucial topics are missing, for example Initialization, Optional values, etc. It would be impossible to pass any assessment without tons of research.

I also couldn't get the purpose of including MVC chapter into the course.

Thanks for external references, - they were very helpful.

By Vladislav I

Apr 6, 2020

Really basic stuff, nothing new if you have a little experience in Swift, also couple mistakes found, even in last quiz: Swift Architecture Assessment, question 1 is obviously wrong. I just took this course because it's part of specialization and as I understand you have to pass all the courses to get whole specialization done.

By Eelaaf Z

Mar 27, 2020

I enjoyed the course overall. I feel that there should be more practice examples and problems. Further, I would like to receive feedback on my code somehow by checking the practice problems. Lastly, I did not receive answers to any of my question sin the discussion forum which was pretty disappointing.

By Kyrylo Z

Aug 6, 2020

The course is providing very basic understanding fo the Swift programming language.

Sometimes it's annoying that mentor use a buggy/beta Xcode version that crash very often.

It's good, but it covers about 20-30% of the material, the rest you should learn elsewhere.

By irza k

Jul 26, 2020

This course is not for beginner programmers. While they explain the syntax of the Swift language the instructors don't delve into concepts and tend to give you the basic overall, leaving you to learn the logic and reasoning yourself.

By ANGEL B S

Jul 29, 2020

Me parece muy bueno el curso, pero faltó un poco más de ejercicios de programación para entender mejor los conceptos

By Jack E

Aug 24, 2020

the teachers were a bit hard to follow and the exercises were very helpful and I could follow them.

By Abdelkarim J

Nov 9, 2020

That's my first step in iOS dev, it's crucial swift course to kick off your iOS dev -;)

By Russell A

May 13, 2020

Out of date for Xcode 11. Instructors come across as confused and unrehearsed

By Andrés M

Jul 27, 2020

The material from week 2 onwards is quite outdated.

By ROZY T

I like this Course .... It very good for beginner

By Ruben Z

Apr 21, 2020

The video is outdated swift and Xcode versions.

By Grayson H

Apr 25, 2020

Too Easy and shallow

By ntobeko s

Nov 11, 2020

Easy to follow.

By Andre E

Feb 24, 2021

After completing this course, frustration can describe my overall feeling toward the class. The course is not up to date, the concepts are not properly scaffolded, and the practice homework is a joke. There are rays of light with some of the concepts being explained, and I did learn from those portions (Hence the 2 stars). Overall though this was largely a loss of time.

The first week of lessons I felt was really great. These topics were the basic things almost everyone goes over in their online courses. We open up a playground, and we discuss variables, strings, and number types. The videos are almost too short, in my opinion. Nonetheless, the lessons were clear, concise, and cover the topics well. The assignments for these basic concepts, though, are laughable. The quizzes are usually one question at best and are not effective at really sounding down concepts for the learner.

I soldiered on expecting things to get better.

Week 2 was more basic concepts about Booleans, Arrays, and Loops. I thought that the video material was a nice additional look at these concepts for me. The instructor was entertaining and explained the concepts well. But, again, the practice was awful.

Week 3 is where everything really starts to fall apart. The lessons start to feel more and more disjointed. Some of the concepts are well explained, but they are not properly scaffolded. The instructor jumps between different projects, occasionally using code that we haven't been exposed to (and won't be exposed to for the whole course). The practice assignments seem to be related to the previous week's material, and some of the quiz questions cover material that we never went over.

Week 4 is the apex of the disjointed nature of this course. Suddenly we jump into Xcode and start talking about Model View Controller concepts. The instructor actually says that he expects us to be very familiar with programming in Swift to be taking this portion of the course. The practice assignments again seem to refer to the previous week's material and contain questions that are not explicitly discussed in the lessons. To add to this, the course materials are not current with the software today. I kept having to go back to the internet to figure out what happened to the assistant editor, my library of UI elements. Why don't I have a main.storyboard layer in my project, among other issues. As some other reviewers have stated, it seems like the lessons were filmed circa 2017, and no one bothers to update the materials.

Unfortunately, this is the only course on Coursera that claims to teach the most up-to-date version of Swift. I don't recommend it if you're looking to get a solid foundation in programming with Swift.