Back to System Administration and IT Infrastructure Services

Learner Reviews & Feedback for System Administration and IT Infrastructure Services by Google

This course will transition you from working on a single computer to an entire fleet. Systems administration is the field of IT that’s responsible for maintaining reliable computers systems in a multi-user environment. In this course, you’ll learn about the infrastructure services that keep all organizations, big and small, up and running. We’ll deep dive on cloud so that you’ll understand everything from typical cloud infrastructure setups to how to manage cloud resources. You'll also learn how to manage and configure servers and how to use industry tools to manage computers, user information, and user productivity. Finally, you’ll learn how to recover your organization’s IT infrastructure in the event of a disaster. By the end of this course you’ll be able to: ● utilize best practices for choosing hardware, vendors, and services for your organization ● understand how the most common infrastructure services that keep an organization running work, and how to manage infrastructure servers ● understand how to make the most of the cloud for your organization ● manage an organization’s computers and users using the directory services, Active Directory, and OpenLDAP ● choose and manage the tools that your organization will use ● backup your organization’s data and know how to recover your IT infrastructure in the case of a disaster ● utilize systems administration knowledge to plan and improve processes for IT environments...

CS
Aug 1, 2020

The best course so far. I feel like this course actually showed us things we would be doing day to day in the workplace. It's nice to problem solve since that will probably be a big chunk of the job.

AK
Dec 13, 2018

Good course which gives as much details about administration and infrastructure services . A Big thank you for Google , Coursera and The instructor for giving a valuable knowledge to me. Thank you

2476 - 2500 of 3,107 Reviews for System Administration and IT Infrastructure Services

By Sita r p M

Mar 12, 2018

S

By Sophiya G

May 2, 2020

This course is an essential course to be a System Administrator. It covers every essential topic, up to the Disaster Plans. Thank you for the course, I tried all the labs including Ungraded Labs. And everything, all the Labs, worked fine for me except for the last Lab. (The last error for my lab that prevented me from successfully finish backup was "Tar exited with error 512 () status”. Googled the problem and tried to add the "--ignore-failed-read" option, but it also didn’t work. And see I am just at the beginning of the way where are lots of things to study.

Already knew most of the course program, revised the themes about DHCP, DNS, Cloud services. But the section on the Active Directory was quite new for me, and I'm happy I studied it in this course as I gained more knowledge on Users, Groups, and Policies. I did IBM's course "Cybersecurity Compliance Framework and System Administration" parallel to this course, and both of the courses together provide a better vision and understanding of System Administration.

By Rob C

Jun 10, 2020

Overall, this was one of the stronger courses in the program. The labs especially were great for hands on practice and experience. My only issues were with the subtitles/notes functions and with the supplemental readings--the subtitles were often completely inaccurate, referring to "LDAP" as "dial-up" and totally replacing acronyms with sound alike words or unrelated acronyms, which made the note-taking function nearly useless without appending it with corrections constantly (and for someone who is hard of hearing or deaf, it would make the course impossible to learn properly--it's that bad). That, and the supplemental readings were in many cases woefully out of date. For a paid program aimed at an industry that is always evolving and changing, that's a major issue. Overall, though, it was incredibly informative and among the easier of the courses thus far to follow. Good stuff.

By Luke P

Oct 12, 2021

I feel like I understood more during this course than the two before it. It is complicated, and it does require a lot of paying attention, note taking, and even reading up on stuff on your own. That being said, there are both strengths and weaknesses to this particular course. The weakest point is the amount of reading. I feel like the supplemental readings often cover subjects we did not learn about in any course, so I have a hard time understanding most of them. The quizzes were a mixed bag. Most of them actually covered terms discussed in the lessons rather than miniscule details, a serious issue with the earlier courses. However, there was one quiz where I genuinely could not understand a thing. This was shocking, since the course seemed otherwise well put together and comprehensible. Overall, this is one of the best courses.

By Brian J S

Mar 5, 2021

This course covers a lot of information related to the System Administrator role in IT. Sometimes the lessons seemed to bounce around a little bit between concepts which made it a little harder to follow than some of the previous courses. This was likely due to the large amount of information covered, making it harder to present an overall perspective without getting too far into the weeds. The labs were all listed as optional but I'd recommend them highly! The labs were some of the most in-dept of all the courses (one lab literally took over an hour to complete just due to the large number of steps required! (I think it was week 4 - setting up an automatic backup remotely using BackupPC)). Anyways, great course overall with tons of info regarding they typical SysAdmin role.

By Eduardo T

Jul 24, 2020

If you have some experience as an IT Helpdesk, IT Support, IT technician or any job along those lines AND you want to take it to the next level, this is the course for you. This is the next logical step in the career development of an entry-level IT support specialist.

This could be too basic if you already have system administration experience although it could fill in some gaps.

This is not an all-you-need to become a sysadmin, but it is a great entry point. Also, do the labs!

The only reason I dropped a star is because of all the content, what I remember the most is: "you can read about this topic in the next supplemental reading." I would have said that a tiny bit less. :-)

By John G

Jun 19, 2021

For me, this was hard to get through. Not enough puns. More puns please. The first 2 modules/classes in the google IT support professional certificate were good, and it was all new, and my adhd didn't get in the way of my concentration. But I started to notice further in, that the people in the videos are just reading a script, and they're not good actors. Some of the script reading is a bit monotone, until they actually know and connect with the content, and then they perform better, because they know the content. Or something. Anyways, better actors, more puns, and cute cats would make these courses a lot better. Probly won't happen, but just sayin.

By Irina F

Mar 28, 2021

A bit too many supplemental readings and too little practice. Some of the material in the readings is just documentation, not helpful unless you're dealing with a specific problem already. I have some experience in IT, so it was relatively easy for me to find time to mess around in qwiklabs and navigate through course material. But for beginners with no previous experience it might be too heavy, with not enough basics explained, especially in week 5. Would recommend if you want to brush up on your knowledge and learn something you might've overlooked + get a cerificate to put on your LinkedIn.

By John G

Feb 1, 2021

The course was fine. The instructor was enthusiastic. Sometimes the pronunciation was a little funny that even the TTS didn't know what he was saying. At least one of the links in the reading didn't work, which means that nobody really manages this course. It would be better if there was a real graded assignment for the final week. The content was fine and there was a good overview of what a System Administration would have to deal with. The Qwiklab activities were useful, but without the step by step instruction, I wouldn't be able to replicate them. I know that this job is not for me.

By Sarah L

Feb 5, 2019

This course was difficult for me to get through, mostly because of the dense material. However, by the end of the course, my peer reviewer reflected on how I was clearly an active professional in the industry...and I am actually a stay at home mom with no prior IT work experience. I worked in the film and theater industry before. So my recommendation would be, no matter how much of a slog this course is to get through, you will definitely walk away with a firm grasp of the concepts and language you will face in a real work environment.

By Sovereign O

Jun 5, 2020

I really struggled with this entire course (Course 4) and it’s because I was so bored with the presentation. The wording on the quizzes was sketchy and even when I answered correctly, more than once, it was still marked wrong – which contradicted the lesson. Some of the labs didn’t work and gave error messages. And what bugs me about that is that this is an IT course, but rather than fix those issues, they were marked “optional” labs. This course was disappointing overall, but I did learn a significant amount of information.

By Lee T L

Feb 22, 2019

Highly recommended for people who hope to learn about the beauty of centralised management - using commercial or open-source solutions to lighten the IT person's workload, hardware lifecycle - teaching you to be a IT manager, back up solutions - safeguard your data and even coming up with a disaster recovery plan - know the drill when situation happens. Although the course is pretty intensive as it requires a whole lot of detailed reading, covering the keywords and making you understand the difference between one another.

By Christopher A

Aug 15, 2019

The course in itself is pretty great. I would recommend doing all of the optional labs. Peer-graded assignments on the other hand are terrible. I understand the concept, but many individuals do not grade by the rubric and grade harshly based on personal opinion. The grading scale is also skewed a bit to which receiving just "Average" ratings instead of "Above Average" will fail you for the assignment. The "Average" ratings should imply the standard passing requirements, not the failing ones.

By PJ D

Aug 11, 2020

A couple of the courses were very detailed an involved and gave me literal headaches. But I enjoyed this. The end tasks of you having to write out a review for different hypothetical companies was great. IT wasn't a "pick from these answers" test and it made me actually think and word things for myself. I also really enjoyed Devan (I think that's his name) as an instructor. Something about him really clicked. It didn't feel like he was reading off a script the whole time.

By Roberto V B

Feb 26, 2019

Everything in this course is Great but I cant give it 5 stars because most of the Qwiklabs do not grade properly or do not work at all. I'm only thankful that they are not part of the grading process in this course and are only used for example purposes and visual/physical learning understanding.

The rest of the course content is in Depth and definitely more than enough to understand the basics and complexes of System Administration and IT Infrastructure Services.

By Diana D

Oct 10, 2020

This course was really well done, and covers a lot of ground in a relatively short amount of time. I wish the subtitles/transcript had been edited by a human being because I found loads of errors. A significant amount of those errors used incorrect jargon, changed the meaning of the sentence, or were incorrectly transcribed due to the speakers' pleasant accent. It would make the course more accessible for all learners if the text were accurate.

By John K

Jul 13, 2020

The course, by and large, is stellar. Easy to listen to presenters with clear concise explanations of concepts. My only concern is the LABS in the later stages of the course were not at all clear or complete. And why were there so many times a course segment that was either just click and continue (no questions or steps to do at all) or labelled as optional? What's the point of putting it in if students have the option to skip it entirely?

By Ewa ( B

Nov 2, 2020

The course was very informative overall. Lots of information about Windows PowerShell commands and the Linux command-line. I wish there was more hands on labs towards the end of the course on topics such as backup, disaster planning, system administration, and possibly several sample system administration/consultation videos. Towards the end of the course there was a lot of supplemental reading information and less learning videos.