Back to Systems Science and Obesity

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Systems Science and Obesity by Johns Hopkins University

Systems science has been instrumental in breaking new scientific ground in diverse fields such as meteorology, engineering and decision analysis. However, it is just beginning to impact public health. This seminar is designed to introduce students to basic tools of theory building and data analysis in systems science and to apply those tools to better understand the obesity epidemic in human populations. There will also be a lab in which students will use a simple demonstration model of food acquisition behavior using agent-based modeling on standard (free) software (netlogo). The central organizing idea of the course is to examine the obesity epidemic at a population level as an emergent properties of complex, nested systems, with attention to feedback processes, multilevel interactions, and the phenomenon of emergence. While the emphasis will be on obesity, the goal will be to explore ways in which the systems approach can be applied to other non-communicable diseases both nationally and internationally. Topics will include: a) the epidemiology of obesity across time and place, b) theories to explain population obesity, c) the role of environments and economic resources in obesity c) basic concepts and tools of systems science, d) modeling energy-balance related behaviors in context, e) agent-based models, systems dynamic models, and social network models...

CS

Apr 01, 2019

Fantastic course. Really thought provoking, and well presented. Useful as an intro to systems thinking, and as a way to understand the obesity epidemic in a nuanced way.

PV

Sep 12, 2017

This course was surprisingly challenging and educational. I had little background in system science, and very much enjoyed the learning process!

1 - 25 of 32 Reviews for Systems Science and Obesity

By Dean P

Sep 02, 2018

Great course! They explain greatly why obesity is a result that comes from complex socioeconomic systems. They also give you insight on how you can use software that can imitate such systems. By doing so, you can develop systems in your own comfort from your own PC and see the results. Truth is we need far more data and human systems are too complex, but this is a good initiative and we should pay attention to their findings! I hope in the near future to be part of a big system development that can bring clear results so that we can take definite action. My opinion is that we kinda know what to do, but some lobbies and established corporations are not changing their attitudw towards human public health and they keep sickening us. NOT TO MENTION cruelty against animals.

By Ngô T S

Aug 23, 2018

Finally, I finish this course. Thank you for your shared knowledge.

By Olusola A

Feb 10, 2017

Inspirational, novel, one of its kind. Am glad to be part of the course

By Carolina A

Oct 24, 2017

great

By Amanda A

Jun 28, 2017

I thought this was interesting and informative. I'm neither a programmer nor a scientist so I had my doubts about how much I would get out of it, but I think it was at a good level for a beginner. Obesity seemed like a great topic to introduce systems science ideas and vice versa. I never felt too confused.

By Luis W D M

Feb 26, 2018

I am an electrical engineer who worked for a few years as a system's engineer. Lately I have been interested in studying how the dynamics in working environment affects itself. When I saw the System Science and Obesity course at Coursera I had the feeling it would present me some social concepts and tools which would give me a starting point. I had the feeling the knowledge the course offered would go beyond health systems. After finishing the course, I am really happy to conclude I was right. I am also really greatful to Johns hopkins professors who made this excellent course available. Thank you all!

By Galina B

Jul 10, 2016

I enjoyed very much the materials of the course.

By Musalula S

Sep 11, 2016

Great introductory course

By Thiago G d S M

Feb 26, 2017

very good

By David O N S

Sep 07, 2016

Well round course, excelent for everybody ho is in charge of public health.

By Paige V

By Rubina G

Sep 27, 2016

very informative and extremely insightful.

By Paola S

Aug 07, 2017

amazing!

By Hugo G G H

Sep 12, 2017

Very interesting and useful tools for analyzing complex networks and designing interventions.

By Luis T

Sep 29, 2017

The approaches to understand obesity in this course are really interesting and I enjoyed them. Obesity is such a complex problem and it was nice to learn from it with different softwares and a lot of different approaches.

By JOHN Q

Feb 13, 2017

FUN AND INTERESTING COURSE. THANKS.

By A B

Nov 29, 2016

I' really enjoy this course. It's a complete view of the actual problem of obesity! Thanks a lot for all the effort!

By Charles D S

Apr 01, 2019

By Melanie C

Jul 15, 2019

it's incredible to let information knowledge people from all over the world

By SUSHIL K S V

Jul 14, 2019

Tough to understand for someone from a non-math background. However basic concepts are easy to discern and learn in relation to obesity

By David C

Aug 10, 2019

I'm interested an any applications of systems science, and really enjoyed this. Great to get some applied hands on practice with systems dynamics and agent based modelling. Many thanks to all of the instructors!

By Altaf M S

Oct 28, 2019

It was wonderful start to learn the use of systems science for exploring world obesity problem. The system dynamics and agent-based methods learned in this course can be replicated for many other social and environmental problems.

By Bui N A

Aug 20, 2018

Useful course with excellent learning materials. Thank you!

By Rahul G

Oct 04, 2016

I enjoyed the course! It helped me organise information about methods in understanding complex systems. I would have definitely used some more detailed explanations about the model building process.

Thank you very much for your kind interest and effort!

By Aboudalal