Back to Technical Support Fundamentals

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Technical Support Fundamentals by Google

This course is the first of a series that aims to prepare you for a role as an entry-level IT Support Specialist. In this course, you’ll be introduced to the world of Information Technology, or IT. You’ll learn about the different facets of Information Technology, like computer hardware, the Internet, computer software, troubleshooting, and customer service. This course covers a wide variety of topics in IT that are designed to give you an overview of what’s to come in this certificate program. By the end of this course, you’ll be able to: ● understand how the binary system works ● assemble a computer from scratch ● choose and install an operating system on a computer ● understand what the Internet is, how it works, and the impact it has in the modern world ● learn how applications are created and how they work under the hood of a computer ● utilize common problem-solving methodologies and soft skills in an Information Technology setting...

AH
Oct 3, 2018

Starting from scratch, I feel like I've gained a great basic understanding of IT support. It was informative, and it has motivated me and left me hungry for more. I am pumped to start the next course!

SD
May 15, 2020

I actually have some experiences in IT so doing the course was very easy for me, but the content is awesome. It will be really beneficial for a beginner. I am looking forward to complete next courses!

26 - 50 of 10,000 Reviews for Technical Support Fundamentals

By Ishara M C

May 16, 2020

Great course for beginners and experts. Easy to understand and a good refresher for those who have been into IT for a long date. Recommend it to everyone looking for a high quality course on coursera.

By Ronald P

Jun 4, 2020

This course is excellent for those who would like to learn the basics of IT and would like to broaden their knowledge. I enjoyed seeing videos from multiple instructors who actually work in the field.

By Jiun-Ren W

Jan 2, 2019

This was a great introduction to the field of IT. As someone who hasn't been in a classroom setting of any kind in almost 15 years, this program was paced really well and gave me lots of opportunities to succeed in my learning. Can't thank the team that supports this enough.

By Jitu P

Apr 26, 2020

By Endri S

Jun 3, 2020

This was a very fun course! I really enjoyed the style and pace of the information given. A lot of technical information was given while the course made it easy to take in and comprehend the material!

By Constantine C

Mar 22, 2019

Qwiklabs suck big time, look what I just got in my mail:

"Hello Constantine,Let me introduce myself, I am Priyanka at Qwiklabs and I am in charge of your happiness.

Priyanka from Qwiklabs"

Not only their systems are not working and choose to ignore all those people complaining, their support staff are rude too.

So much for "Technical Support Fundamentals", ah, the irony!

By Abhishek r

Mar 4, 2020

You were such a hit. Thanks for this course and the next five more! On behalf of our entire organization, thanks again for taking the Conference to a whole new level of education and professionalism!!

By Thomas M

Apr 17, 2020

Amazing introductory course, well structured and well presented with exercises and hands on labs. If you're looking to learn the fundamentals of computing, this is a great place to start your journey.

By Helena V

Feb 11, 2019

Learning the fundamentals is essential to understand how everything works.

By Creston L

Nov 28, 2018

It's trivially simple, but for some reason I'm stuck waiting for a peer review. Why should the willingness of others to grade my work inhibit my progress towards this course?

The Peer review system is the biggest weakpoint of this cert-program. Major problem.

By Ariel G K K

Jun 12, 2020

Thank you very much for this amazing course, I learned a lot and I am very excited to start a career and to apply what I have learned. Thank you very much to all the lecturers and thank you to Google.

By Jose L R S

May 7, 2019

Fácilmente entendible. Da una amplia visión del mundo IT y te deja con ganas de seguir descubriendo este asombroso mundo.

By Preston

Apr 26, 2019

I enjoyed the course. It felt too easy at times, content wise, but as Google has stated it is designed for people that have little to no experience with IT. I think a better way to describe it might be for people who have little to no experience with computers. If you use a computer regularly in your personal life or at work, you might find some of the content a little watered down. If you have no experience in customer service the 6th week does provide useful tips. At the same time, I totally understand the necessity of laying a basic foundation for a field of study that is likely foreign to most of those enrolled. This course is trying to lay the groundwork for the subsequent courses by introducing you to the material and how the course itself works.

I have two main issues with this course.

Grading/quizzes: I think the quizzes should be more extensive for sections 2-5. Peer review is a good way to supplement what you are learning but does not make a good grading tool. The rubric is so minimal in week 6 (documentation section). It would have been more helpful to just read more examples of good and bad documentation. I understand the limitations of an online course with thousands of people enrolled. It would be impossible to manually grade assignments, but if the courses were free and Google charged for an exam to get the certification similar to how other IT certifications work, that would negate these downsides.

Supplemental Reading: The supplemental readings are usually links to Wikipedia pages or websites. In most cases the Wikipedia pages go in fairly in depth past the general summary. This is definitely a field that strongly encourages independent and supplemental study and I can understand the course reinforcing that, but considering the fundamental nature of the course, I would have liked to see some more options alongside Wikipedia entries. It is not to say that Wikipedia entries are not helpful, but I expected for a paid course there would be something a bit more curated.

Overall I learned from this course and enjoyed the experience, but the reasons listed above are why I gave it 3 stars.

By Anthony R

Jun 15, 2019

This specific course is fairly useless in all honestly. I finished all 6 weeks worth of work within 4 hours. The class goes over what Binary is (something which you don't need to know as a support specialist even as a senior specialist or high level manager), how to install/uninstall software, how the internet works, and how you should use common sense when writing out documentation. 95% of this course if fluff and can be summed up in three simple Google searches (ironic isn't it?) This specific course will just waste your time with redundant tasks. I spent 30 minutes (28 minutes of that was waiting for access to QwickLabs) proving I know how to install software. If I'm using an online learning platform like Coursera and accessing RDPs/SSH it is extremely unlikely I wouldn't know how to use a web browser or install one. Likewise no one I have ever met in my 10+ years in IT has ever needed to count in binary unless you're doing cryptography which is entirely different than standard "support". That's a whole other specialization that requires far more demanding study. I think this entire course should be made as a free supplemental material and dropped from the Google Professional IT Support Certification requirements.

By Leung T Y

Jul 7, 2020

Preview of the course:

This is an apple, apple is a fruit. For everything else, you can check it out at the next Supplemental Reading for apple.

So we learned about the apple in the last section, now we learn about apple juice. We put the apple into a grinder to make juice. Details are in the next supplement reading.

By vidish p

Mar 25, 2018

took the money n does not update assignment in week three despite completing it numerous times... a common complaint from other students. Now the money is gone, course completed but no certification and no helpline to talk to.

By Ann H

Mar 14, 2020

I really enjoyed learning so many new things. It would be nice if there had been a bit more instruction on Qwiklabs.

Is there a glossary of terms and acronyms on the site I am missing. I asked on the message board but never received a response. I will double-check that in a moment.

Are there books you recommend we read as we go through the learning process?

Finally, the tech team was most helpful in answering my questions

THANK YOU!!! Ann Happ

By Nishant K G

Apr 20, 2020

When I started this course I just had a basic knowledge about Computers, but after completing this course I feel like I know about Computer (Hardware, Software, Networking) now, obviously, there's a lot to learn about Computers, its a very vast field, but this course helped me build my foundations on Computer.

Thanks, Coursera and Google!

By Ariana B

Jan 1, 2019

Very helpful in giving you the basics and foundation to build upon. I recommend this course even if someone has already taken something similar. It never hurts to level set and make sure your foundation for learning and understanding is solid.

By Deborah T

Aug 31, 2020

I enjoy this course and highly recommend it to students with now prior experience in the IT area. I also recommend this course to students who are returning to the IT area and need a freshener course.

By Chava V R

Jul 19, 2020

This is such a wonderful course that I had ever. Especially that role plays in week-6 about customer service is pretty awesome. Thank you google for making us knowledgeable and enjoyable both at time.

By Jacob M

Sep 24, 2020

This course really is foundational. The instructors are awesome, the labs are relevant and they all work! I have gained so much knowledge just from this course. I can't wait to further this knowledge.

By Juan B

Aug 4, 2020

I enjoyed all the presenters of the videos, they really took their time to get me involved and explained all the content clearly. I also enjoyed the videos that talked about current and future trends.

By Karthik M

Dec 3, 2018

It worth reading and going through videos .

Thanks Google

By Felipe G

Dec 3, 2018

Great course for a beginners!!! Totally recommended