Back to The Technology of Music Production

Learner Reviews & Feedback for The Technology of Music Production by Berklee College of Music

Learn about the music production process—including recording, editing, and mixing—and the tools available to you to create contemporary music on your computer. With the recent introduction of high-quality-low-cost software and hardware, the tools of music production are now available to the masses. Albums are made in bedrooms as well as studios. On the surface this is liberating. Anyone can make an album for the low cost of a couple pieces of gear and a software package. But, if you dig deeper, you will find that it is not so easy. Producing music requires knowledge, dedication, and creativity. Knowledge is where this course comes in. No matter what kind of music you are making, there is a large set of tools that you will need to use. Each lesson of this course will demonstrate a different set of music production tools, loosely following along the music production process of recording, editing, and mixing. We will start with some background on the nature of sound and how we perceive it. We will then examine the components necessary to record audio into a computer, so that you understand the devices that sound must travel through in a music production process. Once recorded, sound must be organized along a timeline, a process known as editing. It allows us to give the impression of perfect performances and create many of the sounds we hear in contemporary music. The contemporary editing tool is the Digital Audio Workstation (DAW), a piece of software that stores and organizes all the assets of a musical project. We will focus on the editing tools that are essential in contemporary music production and that all DAWs provide. After editing, sounds must be combined or mixed together, so we look to the mixing board—a very creative place if you know how to use it. We will explore the basic functionality of both hardware and software mixing boards, including volume, pan, mute, solo, busses, inserts, sends, and submixes. The mixing process, however, includes more tools than the mixing board provides on its own. Sound must also be processed, modified from its recorded state to fit the context of the music. We will look at compression, equalization, and delay, and examine the many audio effects that are offshoots of these devices and how they are used in a musical context. In the end, the music production process relies on your creativity. Creativity is a product of the mind and will stay there, unexpressed, until the right tools are used in the right way to share it with the world. If you have an idea in your head, it will take numerous steps, each with an important tool, to reach your audience. You bring the dedication and creativity, and this course will bring you the knowledge to make that happen....

JJ
Feb 7, 2021

This course gave me a working knowledge of the many parameters of a DAW. I really have a base knowledge to continue my studies and not get frustrated with mental blocks in navigation of the software.

PV
Jun 25, 2017

WOW, Awesome course Loudon! I'm learning lots of stuff I never knew, very much in depth and it takes me to the source of things I already knew but ignored where they generated from. Love it!

51 - 75 of 270 Reviews for The Technology of Music Production

By Jaison C

Feb 18, 2020

Loudin is very easy to follow, he seems naturally conversational so it seems less daunting to approach so much information. There is enough in this one course to get someone off to a great start in making music.

By Katie S

Jun 1, 2020

Loved this class! Filled up my notebook from all the information that was given in this course! Amazing class I've finished this 6 week class in less than 2 weeks I wanted to learn more about Music Production.

By LeAttol ( E L

Aug 23, 2017

Loudon Stearns at First Impression Seems like a person Rushing You through a course. But In Contrast; He's a very hard Teacher to Please. Which is good because You Learn More. I've Learned a lot. ThankYou

By Amitangsu D

Dec 9, 2020

Really enjoyed the course and it was fun learning many things which were unknown or unclear to me. Thanks to Berklee and sir Loudon Stearns. Will definitely recommend this course to learning producers.

By JJ J

Feb 8, 2021

By Pablo S L B

Jun 21, 2017

It´s fantastic. It teaches you a lot of technical stuff that will help you if you´re starting. Loudon also is quite communicative and explains most of the things quite clearly. I really love it.

By Marc

Apr 13, 2017

This is everything I've ever dreamed of

This course is all you need to listen to song mixes and be able to replicate everything you hear in a DAW, if you can listen closely enough

Highly recommend

By María J E G

Apr 13, 2021

Hace algo muy importante para cualquier amante de música, hace que te sepas referir a la música en su lenguaje físico, no solo el emocional humano muchas veces subjetivo, excelente curso.

By Restrepo

When you overpass the barrier and fear of a field is because you have a good teacher behind.

Loudon makes the difference. He is clear and knowledgeable when he explains.

Thanks

By AFONSO F G L R

May 1, 2020

The course has good material and a lot of information for 6 weeks. That's a good moment for review if you already know about the subjects, or introduce for beginners.

By Daniel A C P

Oct 12, 2020

La información fue muy precisa y todo fue muy útil. Te ofrece una visión general pero muy clara de lo que puedes lograr con los recursos que ofrece esta tecnología

By David O

Jul 13, 2017

This was an amazing course. Totally loved the way Loudon delivered it. I will definitely go back and re-do some of the material that was definitely more in-depth.

By Anyela P B

Apr 10, 2020

This course is indeed the best introduction to the world of music production you can have !! It helped me a lot to improve and take my music to the next level !

By Nihan G

Nov 16, 2017

Very intensive and detailed course about technology. You will not find a how to's but you will definitely have a new understanding of sound and the terminology.

By Félix M

Sep 7, 2016

This course is amazing since it teaches you a lot of useful techniques that can be used in the most popular DAWs. It totally changes the way you perceive sound.

By Maria d L L A

May 1, 2017

Overall a great course to be introduce to music production! The teacher is great and it covers a lot of material in a very short time. I totally recommend it!

By Ricardo P O

May 30, 2018

One of the best courses that I have taken. By the end, it gets a little bit complicated about Synthesis of Sound but the knowledge you learn is excellent.

By Kumar G M

Oct 21, 2017

Yup a 5 star course . It teaches you from A2Z I mean from basics to advance . Definitely give it try even if you have experience of 4 yrs .

By Albert M

Jul 12, 2016

Addicted to it. Applies to a wide range (from begginers to advanced users) and the interaction with other students is great in the forums.

By Vasil Z

Nov 3, 2017

The amount and quality of information and learning included in this course is something that no can afford to lose. Very recommended.

By Paul M

May 3, 2017

Excellent course. Lots of information and very fast paced. The instructor is very experienced and knows what he is talking about.

By Rajeesh V C

Sep 11, 2020

This really helped me a lot to improve myself technically.Loved the way of teaching by explaining everything from the root :)

By Wesley I

Feb 26, 2019

Great course, gives all the essential elements on musical production, all concepts, in detail was presented in these 6 weeks

By Дмитрий М

Sep 18, 2017

Thank you Loudon for the company and for the hard work preparing and shooting this course. Hope to see ya in person one day.

By Mariia R

Jan 21, 2021

It is such a great course! Thank you for this opportunity! A total new world just open for me, I am eager to dig in deeper!