Back to The Technology of Music Production

Learner Reviews & Feedback for The Technology of Music Production by Berklee College of Music

Learn about the music production process—including recording, editing, and mixing—and the tools available to you to create contemporary music on your computer. With the recent introduction of high-quality-low-cost software and hardware, the tools of music production are now available to the masses. Albums are made in bedrooms as well as studios. On the surface this is liberating. Anyone can make an album for the low cost of a couple pieces of gear and a software package. But, if you dig deeper, you will find that it is not so easy. Producing music requires knowledge, dedication, and creativity. Knowledge is where this course comes in. No matter what kind of music you are making, there is a large set of tools that you will need to use. Each lesson of this course will demonstrate a different set of music production tools, loosely following along the music production process of recording, editing, and mixing. We will start with some background on the nature of sound and how we perceive it. We will then examine the components necessary to record audio into a computer, so that you understand the devices that sound must travel through in a music production process. Once recorded, sound must be organized along a timeline, a process known as editing. It allows us to give the impression of perfect performances and create many of the sounds we hear in contemporary music. The contemporary editing tool is the Digital Audio Workstation (DAW), a piece of software that stores and organizes all the assets of a musical project. We will focus on the editing tools that are essential in contemporary music production and that all DAWs provide. After editing, sounds must be combined or mixed together, so we look to the mixing board—a very creative place if you know how to use it. We will explore the basic functionality of both hardware and software mixing boards, including volume, pan, mute, solo, busses, inserts, sends, and submixes. The mixing process, however, includes more tools than the mixing board provides on its own. Sound must also be processed, modified from its recorded state to fit the context of the music. We will look at compression, equalization, and delay, and examine the many audio effects that are offshoots of these devices and how they are used in a musical context. In the end, the music production process relies on your creativity. Creativity is a product of the mind and will stay there, unexpressed, until the right tools are used in the right way to share it with the world. If you have an idea in your head, it will take numerous steps, each with an important tool, to reach your audience. You bring the dedication and creativity, and this course will bring you the knowledge to make that happen....

JJ
Feb 7, 2021

This course gave me a working knowledge of the many parameters of a DAW. I really have a base knowledge to continue my studies and not get frustrated with mental blocks in navigation of the software.

PV
Jun 25, 2017

WOW, Awesome course Loudon! I'm learning lots of stuff I never knew, very much in depth and it takes me to the source of things I already knew but ignored where they generated from. Love it!

151 - 175 of 265 Reviews for The Technology of Music Production

By Ricardo F

Dec 26, 2019

I really enjoyed taking this course, much was learned

By Hanna K

Apr 10, 2017

very informative. I really liked this lecture series.

By Jason D

Mar 14, 2021

Very good instruction and focus. Highly recommended!

By Federico M

Mar 23, 2020

All topic are covered perfectly! I love this course!

By Gabriel M P

Oct 29, 2016

Very clear, and easy to understand. I really loved.

By Andrei K

Dec 14, 2020

It was really helpfull to me thank you verry much!

By Ventsislav I

Aug 18, 2019

I was a great course! I was taught so much things!

By Golovastikov M

Jul 22, 2019

The great course! I'll recommend it to my friends.

By Fernando A V M

Oct 17, 2017

Definitivamente uno de los mejores cursos online.

By Pablo B

May 4, 2020

Great topics and content and very well explained

By Prof. S M

Jun 24, 2020

This is a great course, I seriously love it.

By Miguel C G

May 5, 2020

This course was clear, helpful and enjoyable

By Eliza G B

May 2, 2020

I learned something new through this course.

By Akshay N

May 2, 2020

best course for music production technology

By Sven W

Mar 21, 2020

Learned a lot from a very skilled teacher!

By Opoku E

Dec 7, 2019

Thanks Guys this is a great course Big ups

By John E P

Mar 21, 2019

Excellent material and amazing instructor

By Francisco M

Oct 14, 2016

Excellent course. I recommend it vividly!

By Ralph V K

May 6, 2020

great course!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm so happy

By Studio N

Nov 15, 2017

It was an eye opening course. Thank You!

By Konstantin K

May 14, 2020

It was interesting and helpful course!

By Juan S L

Nov 2, 2019

Very good course! Very good professor.

By PRIYANK S

Apr 26, 2020

Really helpful and informative course

By Luis S

Jan 25, 2020

Great foundation to music production.

By Anna B

Jan 11, 2018

Great explanations, details and facts