Back to Terrorism and Counterterrorism: Comparing Theory and Practice

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Terrorism and Counterterrorism: Comparing Theory and Practice by Universiteit Leiden

Terrorism has arguably been one of the defining factors of our age. It frequently makes headlines, threatening or attacking governments, private business and ordinary citizens. And in many parts of the world, it has been one of the most important threats to peace, security and stability. But what does this exactly mean? What is the nature of this threat? Who or what is threatened, how, by whom and why? What can be done about it or how can we at least limit the impact of terrorism and make sure that terrorists do not make headlines and manage to scare us? These are just a handful of questions that will be addressed in this course that consists of three parts. First it focuses on the essence of terrorism as an instrument to achieve certain goals, in addition to an exploration of this phenomenon and the difficulties in defining it. The second part provides an overview of the state of the art in (counter) terrorism studies. Since ‘9/11’ terrorism studies have grown exponentially, reflecting the rise in perceived threats. But what has academia come up with? What theories, assumptions and conventional wisdom has it produced that could be of help in understanding terrorism and dealing with it? The most interesting results are examined and compared with empirical evidence with the aim to either stress their importance or to debunk them as myths. The final part looks into the implications and possibilities for policy making. The course ends with a module specifically designed to address one of today's most topical issue: the foreign fighter phenomenon....

WM
Feb 24, 2021

Among the most informative courses i have taken, the material and videos provided are so detailed and specific to this field. I would recommend it to anyone with an interest matters terrorism.

LZ
May 22, 2016

This excellent, balanced course uses a great combination of concise videos and additional reading. I enrolled hoping to better understand this hot-topic and Prof. Bakker's course was perfect.

301 - 325 of 651 Reviews for Terrorism and Counterterrorism: Comparing Theory and Practice

By Arjan M

Nov 2, 2015

Very interesting, good videos and reading material. Loved learning about terrorism.

By John E C P

Sep 7, 2015

This Course made me lear about a very interesing topic.

I feel satisfied and happy!

By maguin

Apr 3, 2017

cours très complet est très intéressant parfaitement adapté aux étudiants français

By Diana K

Dec 27, 2018

I got a lot new information that's very useful for me. Thank you for this course!

By ann d

Jun 29, 2017

excellent i am now better informed and feel able toaplly my learning to practice.

By Catalina R L

Aug 14, 2015

Very nice Course, complete information and easy explanation for all the concepts.

By Scott O

Apr 28, 2020

It was very good class. I ordered several of the books including Dr. Bakker's.

By Mayte V

Apr 27, 2017

Good teacher, objective approach, interesting, informative and enough material.

By Qosimova M E q

Jan 15, 2021

I love this course because I have learned about terrorism and counterterrorism

By Sahiba T

Jun 9, 2017

Thoroughly enjoyed the course. Very pertinent material and interesting videos.

By Alejandro M R

Nov 6, 2016

It´s a great course that makes posible to know about Terrorism and it´s causes

By Gorka M F

Sep 24, 2015

I like this course... very interesting, well structured and nothing boring....

By Francisco B

Aug 22, 2018

Very good! The content was relevant and it helped me with my master's thesis!

By Joy S

Jan 20, 2018

Debunks a lot of assumptions people have. Tells you how terrorism really is.

By Renan D d A

Nov 28, 2017

Curso incrível e material de estudo com valor inestimável. Recomendo a todos.

By Christos S

Oct 17, 2017

Excellent course. You learn the basics about terrorism and counter terrorism.

By Rajema G M V

Oct 18, 2016

Very informative. Highly recommended to everyone! Can`t wait for the updates.

By Alex L

Feb 17, 2016

Really great overview and introduction to a tricky and ever changing subject!

By Marcos A

Apr 18, 2017

Excelente curso. Muy bien desarrollado, explicado y con informacion actual.

By courtney g

May 25, 2016

This course was so interesting. I learnt a lot and enjoyed every part of it.

By Jack C

Feb 5, 2018

I like this teacher.

the point is very clear

and it,s so simple to understand

By Julia A B

Jul 2, 2017

Great course, I really recommend it! Excellent didactic and good materials.

By Mayra W

Apr 22, 2020

It was a very comprehensive and thought-provoking course. I recommend it.

By julian o a

May 2, 2017

Perfecta introducción a los estudios sobre terrorismo y contra terrorismo.