Back to Terrorism and Counterterrorism: Comparing Theory and Practice

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Terrorism and Counterterrorism: Comparing Theory and Practice by Universiteit Leiden

Terrorism has arguably been one of the defining factors of our age. It frequently makes headlines, threatening or attacking governments, private business and ordinary citizens. And in many parts of the world, it has been one of the most important threats to peace, security and stability. But what does this exactly mean? What is the nature of this threat? Who or what is threatened, how, by whom and why? What can be done about it or how can we at least limit the impact of terrorism and make sure that terrorists do not make headlines and manage to scare us? These are just a handful of questions that will be addressed in this course that consists of three parts. First it focuses on the essence of terrorism as an instrument to achieve certain goals, in addition to an exploration of this phenomenon and the difficulties in defining it. The second part provides an overview of the state of the art in (counter) terrorism studies. Since ‘9/11’ terrorism studies have grown exponentially, reflecting the rise in perceived threats. But what has academia come up with? What theories, assumptions and conventional wisdom has it produced that could be of help in understanding terrorism and dealing with it? The most interesting results are examined and compared with empirical evidence with the aim to either stress their importance or to debunk them as myths. The final part looks into the implications and possibilities for policy making. The course ends with a module specifically designed to address one of today's most topical issue: the foreign fighter phenomenon....

LZ

May 23, 2016

This excellent, balanced course uses a great combination of concise videos and additional reading. I enrolled hoping to better understand this hot-topic and Prof. Bakker's course was perfect.

MZ

Sep 21, 2017

Useful and well done. This course is an example how to boost resilience in our society with knowledge. At the end of the day is a brick of our holistic counter terrorism actions. Thank you.

51 - 75 of 587 Reviews for Terrorism and Counterterrorism: Comparing Theory and Practice

By Martinlevac@gmail.com

Jan 05, 2018

This was my first course on Coursera. After completing the START course from the University of Maryland, I can say with confidence that this course is a much deeper look at the concepts of terrorism and counter-terrorism (vs analysis of data and statics from the GTD). The exams were harder but the level of understanding is also deeper than the START course. Also, Dr. Bakker is very engaging and interesting.

By José A B C

Nov 22, 2018

Very good Introductory course to get familiar with the academic research and main authors towards Terrorism and Counterterrorism. The course is well organized and the content is very punctual and was well selected and prepared. I recommend it for students of International Relations, Political Science, Public Policy and Governance, Law and most related in Social Sciences but not limited only to them.

By Rodrigo S M M

Jan 17, 2020

This course was perfect; I took so long to finish it, because as it happens with a good book, I feared turning the last page and never seeing it again. This course has been as close as I have been to coming into contact with the incredibly enticing and perennial issue of international security and I cannot thank Coursera and the University of Leiden enough for this wonderful opportunity.

Thank you.

By Francisco J G M

Feb 26, 2017

An extraordinary course !! with key foundations, historical and current information on the subject, masterfully explained by Mr. Edwin Bakker.

A course full of relevant and valuable information to understand the phenomena and changes that are occurring in our world.

A course that we should all take to know the role we play in this world so changing and so scourged by wars and misunderstandings.

By Halil A

Nov 14, 2016

It's good see an excellent teacher who shows us to look at the terrorism not via his perspective but wants us to use our own. Techniques he is using is also nice and not boring. As a student, i would take this course(and Edwin Bakker if could be possible) if this could be a lesson in my university. I have learned many things and he aroused my interest about the terrorism subject more than ever.

By Paulo J R V

Feb 22, 2017

Fantastic MOOC! This course is great for the ones who want to learn more about Terrorism studies and Terrorism History. It's not a easy one, if you are commited to read all the sugested readings, However it does give you a solid backgorund in this area of study, and it's a nice beggining for the ones, like me, that intend to continue to study Terrorism & Counterterrorism at a University level.

By Robert M

Sep 07, 2015

The quality and quantity of the material provided are simply outstanding. “Terrorism and Counterterrorism: Comparing Theory and Practice” is first and foremost a well-structured course built upon solid academic standards. I would recommend it even to those who already have knowledge in this field because most certainly there will be something that you did not know.

Excellent course!

By Nikki S

Sep 12, 2017

I did this course as an introduction to something I was becoming increasingly interested in. With a background in law and neuropsychology, I was able to wear either or both hats at various points throughout the course. It really made me think and has served me in good stead for further more advanced study in the same field. The presentation is clear and well-referenced.

By jamie b

Aug 31, 2018

Its been a great journey learning with experts and interacting with fellow peers. Those who want to deepen their knowledge in Terrorism and counter terrorism must take this course, you wont regret it. All of the faculty members are experts in their respective field. Thanks coursera and thanks Leiden University. And thanks to every one involved in creating this course.

By Nidal Z

Sep 05, 2017

Very high standard and very well prepared course. It incorporates uptodate topics as in week 6 and also is refreshingly academically focused rather than having a political approach. The analysis behind the myths is outstanding and the data-driven analysis by the lecturers is more effective than so much fud that you see in the media. The professor is a great educator.

By Enrico P

Oct 04, 2016

All in all, a very interesting and comprehensive course on terrorism and counterterrorism history, theory, state-of-the-art knowledge and evolution. Please allow me to recommend two publications on ISIS and why it was born: "Black Flags - The Rise of ISIS" by Joby Warrick, and "The Rise of Islamic State" by Patrick Cockburn". With kind regards, Enrico Pinna

By Shahbaz A K

Dec 26, 2019

An excellent course led by Dr Bakker and team. I learned a lot about this very important topic and how the instructor was quite frank and honest about many things. I would like to see more things covered in the future though such as cultural/social/state terrorism and how to deal with it. This is probably the best MOOC on the internet for this topic.

By Sarthak G

Sep 24, 2016

Really enjoyed the material. The videos were simple, especially for a beginner. This is the first course I completed online and the experience was really good. Prof. Bakker is an able instructor and the concepts were well explained. The tests were simple though. Most of them took only one or two attempts to pass. That counts as a positive by the way.

By Olaniran O J

Feb 14, 2019

I have plans of becoming a scholar in the field of terrorism and counter-terrorism, but I didn't know how to go about it. This course has really helped me; it made me know key authors, centers, and scholars in the field, popular journals, the current state of the field, grey areas, and many more. I am really happy I enrolled for this course.

By Kyle C

Jun 09, 2017

This was an excellent exploration into the current state-of-the-art of Terrorism and Counterterrorism. There was an exploration into several popular misnomers that politicians attribute to terrorists. Having a body of academic literature to support or debunk these theories was excellent. I thoroughly enjoyed the readings and the lectures.

By Jonathan R

Nov 21, 2017

This was a great course. I'm very happy with all I learned throughout it. Prof. Baker lectures are great, very dynamic and understandable. Selected topics on this course are meaningful in that they provide a very good insight of the phenomenon of terrorism. I recommend this course for anyone interested in learning about counter-terrorism

By Alexandre K

Jul 13, 2018

A lot of knowledge and many assumptions are now twisted. Useful to understand terrorism especially in this era. Courses are clear well done, very professional, I highly recommend. That's my first online course, I'll take others when I'll have time so thank you. I bought the certificate, I see it like a donation for all this good work.

By Lois S

Jul 04, 2017

I wanted to learn more about the ongoing terrorist threats and governmental replies. I learned that a so much more! The teach is deeply involved in research on the topics he teaches and i particularly enjoyed the monthly talks on new events discussed in the news. Wish this professor offered other classes so I could take those too!

By Narges M

Jun 04, 2017

Easy to follow, great video's by Prof. Bakker. It really challenges me to think further than what i can see on the news or read in the general news papers. This course makes me understand where terrorism is coming from and why people are doing it. Absolutely great. I wish other universities would do the same for their courses.

By Tan J F

Sep 18, 2018

After doing this course, it made me realize the importance of the security of my own country. I thank you the instructors who made this course available, accessible and possible for people like me who are now inspired to join the Armed Forces in efforts to counter-terrorism. This is truly a wonderful and insightful course!

By elohim

Oct 13, 2017

Just to express my gratitude for the time and attention that I received during this course, I also want to take the opportunity to be considered in an upcoming course in this subject, since the knowledge that took me I am sure will be very useful , and will help me greatly in my professional life.

Again, sincere thanks.

By Anastasiya O

May 08, 2017

It was great to refresh my knowledge on the theory of terrorism but what is more valuable of this course is a new information, the incredible list of additional literature and super interesting and understandable lectures of Profesor Bakker. Special thanks for Coursera for opportunity to study when it is convenient.

By Sara C

Sep 28, 2018

I liked it a lot because it uses a lot of statistical support, essays, publications and it is explained in an understandable language without technicalities. I congratulate the University of Leiden and Professor Bakker for allowing us to learn this subject that should be treated more seriously by our governments.

By Alban B

Feb 10, 2020

I would strongly suggest this course to all the students who seek knowledge in global affairs, this course is taught by an excellent professor and everyone with interest in learning online ,should take a chance to enroll, especially when we are all affected by such a phenomenon that is elaborated in this course.