Back to Terrorism and Counterterrorism: Comparing Theory and Practice

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Terrorism and Counterterrorism: Comparing Theory and Practice by Universiteit Leiden

Terrorism has arguably been one of the defining factors of our age. It frequently makes headlines, threatening or attacking governments, private business and ordinary citizens. And in many parts of the world, it has been one of the most important threats to peace, security and stability. But what does this exactly mean? What is the nature of this threat? Who or what is threatened, how, by whom and why? What can be done about it or how can we at least limit the impact of terrorism and make sure that terrorists do not make headlines and manage to scare us? These are just a handful of questions that will be addressed in this course that consists of three parts. First it focuses on the essence of terrorism as an instrument to achieve certain goals, in addition to an exploration of this phenomenon and the difficulties in defining it. The second part provides an overview of the state of the art in (counter) terrorism studies. Since ‘9/11’ terrorism studies have grown exponentially, reflecting the rise in perceived threats. But what has academia come up with? What theories, assumptions and conventional wisdom has it produced that could be of help in understanding terrorism and dealing with it? The most interesting results are examined and compared with empirical evidence with the aim to either stress their importance or to debunk them as myths. The final part looks into the implications and possibilities for policy making. The course ends with a module specifically designed to address one of today's most topical issue: the foreign fighter phenomenon....

PR
Aug 28, 2021

Not all the reading materials are opening. The course content is old . There is a need for new and latest issues to be included in the course. There is also a need for advance level of another course.

WM
Feb 24, 2021

Among the most informative courses i have taken, the material and videos provided are so detailed and specific to this field. I would recommend it to anyone with an interest matters terrorism.

176 - 200 of 659 Reviews for Terrorism and Counterterrorism: Comparing Theory and Practice

By Josh S

Feb 18, 2016

This course was very informative and helped to solidify the knowledge that I had coming into the course. I would recommend this course to anyone from novice to expert.

By Erin K C

Sep 13, 2021

This is a truly amazing course! It's hard to believe that I learned more in this free course than my terrorism course for mu undergraduate degree in criminal justice.

By Edgar J O d l R

Sep 21, 2015

I enjoyed a lot this curse, I learn many things I didn't know before I take it, I bought the book, and really it was helped me a lot. Congratulations for a great job.

By Margaret M

Nov 22, 2020

This course was extremely helpful in allowing me to learn important critical thinking skills, history, and policy analysis. All of the course material was engaging

By Ágnes E F

Sep 2, 2019

Thank you for this course. It was very interesting and informative. As a second-year student in college, I seriously started thinking about going into this field.

By Nancy J C

Feb 9, 2016

Insightful, well delivered, excellent resources and recommended readings - very professional and thorough. In particular the lectures are meticulously structured.

By Arjun S

Sep 27, 2020

An excellent course with great insight into the field. It is well-suited not only to experts, students and policymakers; but, most of all, to the active citizen.

By Mohamed B

Mar 19, 2020

Lovely course for both beginners and experienced students and practitioners of terrorism and counter-terrorism studies. Would definitely recommend this course!

By C. P

Nov 14, 2017

Very well structured.

Information-wise very wide and interesting, very recommendable if you come from political science, war studies or international relations.

By Moses K B B

Nov 22, 2015

Superb! After six weeks, I've survived and of course enjoyed the readings and lectures. I've learned a lot in this course. Thank you Professor Bakker and team.

By Samuel O S

Aug 3, 2020

Excellent course. Rich content, great lecturer, good mix of video, reading, interaction, quizzes and assignments. I can't wait to move onto Cybersecurity next!

By William W

Jun 27, 2020

An interesting and in-depth course that covers a good range of material, with a wealth of interesting and informative readings to support the lecture material.

By Natália N

Mar 6, 2019

O curso em si é bem interessante, todo o material disponível e artigos são muito legais de se ler. Recomendo tanto para fins acadêmicos quanto por curiosidade.

By Josycler A A S

Oct 24, 2017

O curso foi essencial para que eu tivesse contato com autores consagrados e pudesse refletir sobre aspectos do combate ao terrorismo que eu ainda não conhecia.

By Alejandro E A

Jun 20, 2017

A well-rounded and properly structured course that serves as an ideal introduction, albeit with considerable depth, to terrorism and counter-terrorism studies.

By Joel O M

Aug 27, 2017

excelente curso, gran profesionalismo,estructura,facil entendimiento,lo recomiendo mucho,felicidades a la universidad de Leiden y a sus notables integrantes.

By Felipe J J D C

May 13, 2017

Provides sufficient academic research material and coherent classes sticking strictly to the theme and even venturing to tips about further academic research

By Carlos D S A

Jan 8, 2016

This course will provide me with an excelent opportunity to learn about a phenomenon that is so influential in our everyday lives. Thank you for this chance!

By Ijaz R

Aug 23, 2017

Great experience and very informative course. now i know something about terrorism and its main factors. thanks to professor for clear and concise teaching.

By William L

Nov 9, 2017

Exceptional. One of the best courses I have had on Coursera. The pace is good and the videos and readings are topical and approachable. Highly recommended!

By Jeff G

Sep 1, 2020

I found the course to be informative and very well presented. In fact, it was better than courses that I have paid for in Canada. Well done and thank you.

By Jose A C N

Mar 24, 2016

Un curso bastante interesante para comprender la problemática que encierra el Terrorismo y de como ha afectado la vida de las personas alrededor del mundo

By Ioana M

Jan 1, 2018

Excellent course. I have just finished week 1 and started week 2. It's very well structured and I'm looking forward to learning new things in this field.

By Kevin D C G

Aug 24, 2015

i think that topics like these are really interesting and for me is important that people know and understand what and why is happening this in the world

By Nathalie F S

May 30, 2018

This course was extremely challenging, but it definitely opened my eyes up to the world of terrorism, and I definitely recommend this course to anybody.