Back to Terrorism and Counterterrorism: Comparing Theory and Practice

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Terrorism and Counterterrorism: Comparing Theory and Practice by Universiteit Leiden

Terrorism has arguably been one of the defining factors of our age. It frequently makes headlines, threatening or attacking governments, private business and ordinary citizens. And in many parts of the world, it has been one of the most important threats to peace, security and stability. But what does this exactly mean? What is the nature of this threat? Who or what is threatened, how, by whom and why? What can be done about it or how can we at least limit the impact of terrorism and make sure that terrorists do not make headlines and manage to scare us? These are just a handful of questions that will be addressed in this course that consists of three parts. First it focuses on the essence of terrorism as an instrument to achieve certain goals, in addition to an exploration of this phenomenon and the difficulties in defining it. The second part provides an overview of the state of the art in (counter) terrorism studies. Since ‘9/11’ terrorism studies have grown exponentially, reflecting the rise in perceived threats. But what has academia come up with? What theories, assumptions and conventional wisdom has it produced that could be of help in understanding terrorism and dealing with it? The most interesting results are examined and compared with empirical evidence with the aim to either stress their importance or to debunk them as myths. The final part looks into the implications and possibilities for policy making. The course ends with a module specifically designed to address one of today's most topical issue: the foreign fighter phenomenon....

WM
Feb 24, 2021

Among the most informative courses i have taken, the material and videos provided are so detailed and specific to this field. I would recommend it to anyone with an interest matters terrorism.

LZ
May 22, 2016

This excellent, balanced course uses a great combination of concise videos and additional reading. I enrolled hoping to better understand this hot-topic and Prof. Bakker's course was perfect.

151 - 175 of 640 Reviews for Terrorism and Counterterrorism: Comparing Theory and Practice

By Antonios K

Oct 13, 2015

A very helpful course, understanding the definition of terrorism, but also understand what are differences between terrorism and counterterrorism and what it takes to prevent them.

By mustafa k

Feb 11, 2017

it is a very useful course for the beginners. this course might be improved by adding one week for talking about the empirical literature on terrorism in political science field.

May 26, 2016

The best online course I have ever had. Lots of information on the subject,

engagin, very well presented.

Edwin, thank you, well done and I am looking forward for more from you.

By Héctor G O U

Nov 4, 2015

Excelente curso. El material es bastante didáctico y bueno, así como la metodología utilizada. Además las exposiciones del profesor Bakker son muy claras y fáciles de entender.

By Stephanie D B G

Aug 17, 2015

I loved the fact that we could achieve the course in our own timings and I obviously love the whole course, the lectures, the videos, I couldn´t feel more satisfied and grateful!

By Raul M

Sep 22, 2015

It is a great experience and has been developed very efficiently to provide a valuable tool for the insight and education of a very important phenomenon in the global community.

By Vojtěch K

Aug 31, 2018

Quality course for those who want to know and understand the basics about terrorism, counter-terrorism, pros and cons of studying these phenomena, and foreign fighters as well.

By Maria K

Sep 5, 2015

One of the best courses ever. Enjoyed the Structural Architecture of each module, term analysis, supplementary reading material, polls, even transcripts.

Thank You very much!

By GENESSI S J

Jun 4, 2019

Great! It was one of the best distance learning courses I ever did. The working platform, with interactive videos and memorizing exercises, was very good.

Congratulations!

By Dean S W

Sep 18, 2015

This course is by far the most professional, extensive online MOOC course I have ever had the pleasure to take. I look forward to continuing my studies in Terrorism and CT.

By Dennis V

Mar 17, 2019

An excellent course and the lecturer is outstanding! The course gave me the opportunity to better understand the horrors of terrorism and the possibilities against terror.

By Jen

Nov 16, 2016

This class was very informative and gave balance to the sensationalistic reporting of the media. I think the world would be a better place if more people took this course.

By Mohamed S

Sep 10, 2016

Loved the time I spent studying this course, if I was going to evaluate it on terms of the title sayings "it's all and more"

How is it more? I am already hungry for more :D

By Jesus R

Nov 25, 2015

Really deep, complete. The efforts of the creators can be seen at first view. Congratulations to Dr. Bakker for the clases and the lectures. The best course I've ever had!

By Rodrigo L F S

Sep 22, 2018

Excelente curso, permite adquirir nuevos conocimientos, sobre todo para Autoridades de Estado, como para funcionarios publicos encargados de la Seguridad Publica Nacional

By mehdi m

Sep 27, 2016

it's very wonderful to share this great mooc with academic people like you really i learned more ideas and it gives me a big power to continue this studies thank you .

By Yannick M

Oct 4, 2016

Thank you for this extensive and very accessible overview of the field of terrorism studies. I particularly appreciated the variety of recommended articles and sources.

By Iryna R

Aug 9, 2016

The Course is really good. The presentation is intense and clearly structured. I would specifically emphasize the quality of the required and recommended reading lists.

By Irina K

Jul 6, 2017

I thoroughly enjoyed this course! Great material and excellent lectures, would highly recommend for anyone interested in the topics of terrorism and counter-terrorism.

By Josh S

Feb 18, 2016

This course was very informative and helped to solidify the knowledge that I had coming into the course. I would recommend this course to anyone from novice to expert.

By Erin K C

Feb 5, 2017

This is a truly amazing course! It's hard to believe that I learned more in this free course than my terrorism course for mu undergraduate degree in criminal justice.

By Edgar J O d l R

Sep 21, 2015

I enjoyed a lot this curse, I learn many things I didn't know before I take it, I bought the book, and really it was helped me a lot. Congratulations for a great job.

By Margaret M

Nov 22, 2020

This course was extremely helpful in allowing me to learn important critical thinking skills, history, and policy analysis. All of the course material was engaging

By Ágnes E F

Sep 2, 2019

Thank you for this course. It was very interesting and informative. As a second-year student in college, I seriously started thinking about going into this field.

By Nancy J C

Feb 9, 2016

Insightful, well delivered, excellent resources and recommended readings - very professional and thorough. In particular the lectures are meticulously structured.