Back to The Music of the Beatles

Learner Reviews & Feedback for The Music of the Beatles by University of Rochester

The Music of the Beatles will track the musical development of the band, starting from the earliest days in Liverpool and Hamburg, moving through the excitement of Beatlemania, the rush of psychedelia, and the maturity of Abbey Road. While the focus will be on the music, we will also consider how recording techniques, the music business, the music of other artists, and the culture of the 1960s affected John, Paul, George, and Ringo as they created the Beatles repertory. There is probably no band or artist that has had more written about their music than the Beatles. There are many good books on the band's biography, several insider accounts offering glimpses behind the scenes, books that interpret the meaning of the songs, and even books that catalog dates and people regarding the band. This course will try to synthesize much of that information into an account of the Beatles' development as musicians and songwriters....

Jun 12, 2020

Great class. For someone who grew up listening to the Beatles (thank you, Mom!), I learned things I did not know and will listen to the songs with a different appreciation and approach. Thank you!!!!

MM
Mar 7, 2016

I have always been curious about the beginnings of the Beatles and in fact I have been playing and singing some of their popular songs. I'm glad there is a free on line course about them.

51 - 75 of 218 Reviews for The Music of the Beatles

By juan c

Dec 9, 2015

If you are musician and you worship the shit out The Beatles this is for you. I was a late comer to their music but man when I heard them, it was magic. Now being able to look under the hood of what they were doing is a perfect treat.

By AIMEE F

Jul 13, 2017

This course is just fantastic!!! I highly recommend it. I got many new information of which I was not aware of. In reality, this is the second time I am taking the course, the first one having been in 2014!!! Congratulations.

By Juan C G O

Jul 27, 2020

Great Course, if you are a fan or not, you learn very much about history of rock, the begin. And i was learn to appreciete more the music of anything artist, thank you very much, I love The Beatles more after the Course.

By Manuel J

Feb 8, 2017

Muy buen Curso acerca de la Música de los fabulosos de Liverpool, que ha enriquecido mis conocimientos y cómo se aprecia la evolución que tuvo la música de The Beatles así como se verá en los siguientes años. Excelente!!

By Xavier S

Feb 18, 2018

I have been a Beatles's fan for many, many years. Have read a lot about them, but even that, I've found new information and interesting points of view during this course. I enjoyed it. Thank you, Professor John Covach.

By Roberto D C

Muy bueno el curso, aprendí muchos datos y antecedentes sobre la historia musical del grupo, ademas de antecedentes sobre las relaciones personales de los integrantes del grupo y de la gente que los acompaño. Gracias.

By Romina M C

Apr 24, 2016

Considero que es un curso excelente sobre todo para esas personas que disfrutan con la música y la hstoria de The Beatles, y es una muy buena forma de complementar la información que ya se tiene sobre ellos.

By Joel R

Excelente información, John Covach es un excelente historiador y músico, es una lástima que no pueda demostrar con ejemplos musicales debido a los derechos de autor, pero aún así, es un curso extraordinario

By Amy H

Apr 9, 2020

Great insight and details are provided not only on The Beatles and their place in popular music and culture but understanding the theory of the Lennon-Mccartney writing and the group's growth as musicians.

By Jawad P

Jul 19, 2020

Nice coverage of the Beatles history, fame as well as artistic work. I have been a Beatles fan since I was ten years old and know each song but never appreciated their music on an artistic level till now.

By JORDI D G

Oct 1, 2016

Great seminar. It gives credit to the best pop band of the 20th century and provides a context to understand the Beatles influence in music. Well explained by Professor Covaks with a natural easy style.

By Stacey S

Jun 12, 2020

By Victoria H

I loved this course! John Covach, the teacher, is amazing, very charismatic and surely knows a lot about the band. And he seems very wholesome. Very grateful for the oportunity, I learned a lot.

By Camiel B

Nov 14, 2015

This course is brought with great enthusiasm and knowledge about the subject.

When starting I was curious what there was to tell and if it would not be boring. Not at all!

Thanks for this course!

By Janice J C

Aug 14, 2020

I really enjoyed the course, including the side stories. I only wish that there was no problem with copyright infringement and all so one can listen to the songs as they are being discussed.

By MRMC

Mar 8, 2016

By Gelsey B

Jan 30, 2020

Incredibly rich class, so much to learn and appreciate. I enjoyed the story arc employed by the professor, as well as the examples, song close up, and information about song structure.

By Gabriel M

Mar 21, 2016

Excelente curso. Voy más o menos por la mitad actualmente, pero contiene información interesantísima y el catedrático la explica de una forma muy fácil de comprender. ¡Recomendado!

By Jimena P T

Jun 1, 2020

Thankyou so much for this course. I learned a lot and it was a nice first aproach to music. I love The Beatles even more now. The professor is great. I loved everything. Thankyou

By Karol P

Nov 4, 2017

Un excelente curso que brinda la oportunidad de tener un acercamiento más cercano a los Beatles, un gran profesor que conoce de la materia y ayuda a resolver inquietudes

By Giampiero G

Apr 27, 2018

Excellent course. The only drawback s that there could not be any piece of music or lyrics. This is a problem that should be addressed somehow to make it even better.

By Alonso P

Apr 12, 2020

¡Me encantó! Un curso muy completo donde no solamente reforcé mis conocimientos históricos de The Beatles, sino también aprendí algo de teoría musica. ¡Recomendado!

By Alicia Z

Sep 5, 2020

Engagingly presented course that struck the right balance between academic rigor and learning for fun. Really enjoyed this course. Top marks to the tutor!

By Lucia C F M

Nov 8, 2015

Amazing course on The Beatles. Very well-explained! Never off-topic, absolutely interesting at all times. Highly recommendable! Professor Covach is great!

By Graciela M D

Jul 20, 2020

Excellent approach, lots of history, theory about the music and art, lots of information, I am very happy I have taken this course, I have learned a lot.