Back to The Science of Well-Being

Learner Reviews & Feedback for The Science of Well-Being by Yale University

NEW TEEN VERSION AVAILABLE HERE: https://www.coursera.org/learn/the-science-of-well-being-for-teens In this course you will engage in a series of challenges designed to increase your own happiness and build more productive habits. As preparation for these tasks, Professor Laurie Santos reveals misconceptions about happiness, annoying features of the mind that lead us to think the way we do, and the research that can help us change. You will ultimately be prepared to successfully incorporate a specific wellness activity into your life. THE SCIENCE OF WELL BEING WAS PRODUCED IN PART DUE TO THE GENEROUS FUNDING OF THE DAVID F. SWENSEN FUND FOR INNOVATION IN TEACHING....

LH

Aug 21, 2020

Great fun way of learning about personal thought processing, attitudes and well-being.

Very helpful course to get me to assess my life and how to make the changes I needed to improve my well-being.

EN

May 30, 2019

I absolutely enjoyed and learned a lot about happiness from this course. I will definitely recommend it to my peers, as it gets me to the core from my misconceptions to developing the right practices.

426 - 450 of 10,000 Reviews for The Science of Well-Being

By Kay B

Jun 2, 2020

Dr. Santos is a wonderful instructor. She is intelligent, calm and honest. She expresses how some of these things are hard to incorporate into her life, too, even though she knows and teaches the science. Her manner is welcoming and nonjudgmental. She introduced many knowledgeable lecturers, who added dimension to the course. I enjoyed this course. There are many different items/theories to learn. She presented in a thoughtful and logical manner. She is engaging and empathetic

Sometimes, it was a bit difficult to navigate the technology of the course. It took a while to understand how to respond to the final project and other items. Clearer instructions and navigation would be helpful

By Fabiola R

Jun 10, 2020

Realmente este curso me ha ayudado a ver las cosas desde otra perspectiva. Al comienzo de este, me sentía un poco deprimida, perdida y aunque hay mucho camino por recorrer aun debo admitir que mi estado de ánimo y autoestima han mejorado significativamente. Cree un plan e implemente la mayoría de los temas discutidos en clase y debo admitir que hubo gran cambio. Exhorto a que todos tengan la oportunidad de inscribirse en este curso para que abran nuevos caminos de conocimientos que realmente van a poder aplicar en su vida cotidiana. Este curso fue de mucha ayuda, además, ya que en la situación mundial que enfrentamos del coronavirus me hizo olvidar todos esos problemas por un rato. Excelente.

By Joe M

This class was extremely hard not so much the learning aspect but the work you need to put in. To find out in oneself that you are ungrateful was a big reality check for me,yes it hurt but truth does. Finding kindness for me mended,fixed,and rewired my heart which made me a better person. I enjoyed all the classmates, their real input made it much easier to go through a struggle or obstacle you can't seem to get the answer for yourself. Professor Santos was amazing and brilliant, she always came from a different side of things making you use your creative mindset. I never had Teacher/Professor so unique. Great course, mindful thinking has greatly improved my well being. Thank You to everyone.

By Vivek C

Nov 17, 2020

This is an excellent course that I found well worth my time. The professor, Laurie Santos, has designed a thoughtful program that (1) examines our preconceptions about happiness, (2) lays out the science behind what actually has an impact on our well-being (in an accessible way), and (3) sets you up with useful tools for actual behavioral modification. This way, you are not just absorbing information, but also making real-life changes in a way that is both effective and on your own terms. Dr. Santos is a charming, lively, and engaging speaker. The course is done with the participation of a dozen or so undergrad students, so you it almost feels like you're really in a classroom at Yale.

By Sree d P

Nov 10, 2022

The course was superbly designed. It was not overwhelming. Every week I looked forward to the days I had committed. I wanted to practice wellness but did not know a structured way to do it. In this course we started from small goals of savoring, meditating, practicing gratitude to bigger goals.

The instructor Ms. Santos was very good. She did not teach from a superior place. She practiced with us and showed us that we don't need to be distressed because we faltered some times because she made it clear that she herself had designed the course because she too wanted to practice.

I have started 3 healthy practices -Gratitude, savoring the moment and meditation after doing this course.

By Andrea I M G

Apr 4, 2022

La ciencia del bienestar ha sido un curso de mucha ayuda para mí, lo comencé en un momento donde me sentía muy mal, a veces sin sentido y descubrí que todo esto ocurría porque estaba basando mi felicidad en los lugares equivocados, pensaba que iba a ser feliz cuando obtuviera alguna cosa en concreto y aquí aprendí que la felicidad es una desición que tenemos cada uno; claro que no basta con saberlo eso también lo aprendí. Me es de mucha ayuda el poder entender los rasgos molestos de mi mente y como científicamente tenemos respuestas para nuestros comportamientos, pero me da mucha esperanza saber que hay herramientas que tenemos disponibles siempre que pueden hacernos más felices.

By Mark A

Mar 15, 2021

A truly fantastic and life-changing course. I found the pacing to be perfect, as well as the way material was staggered week by week. I looked forward to the lectures every week and loved implementing each piece into my daily life. I was actually kind of bummed out when we had a couple of weeks off to practicethat didn't have lectures (it might be because my key strength of Curiosity was one of my major practice points in this program and I loved hearing the great teacher present more). I've taken lots of notes and am really going to enjoy implementing more and more of these learnings into my personal and professional life, as I've already been doing. Whole-heartedly recommended!

By Stephanie R

Jun 4, 2020

This course was AMAZING!! So accessible, so full of resources that you could pick and choose from. In addition to the informative lectures, there were interviews, TED talks, articles and scientific studies provided for students to peruse at their own pace. I loved the design of the course, setting up the ways in which our minds hijack us and then slowly digging into how we can rewire.

The course does a great job of combining helpful tips and tricks to change practice--I'm looking at you, WOOP method--as well as the science behind the impact and benefit from those practices.

This course--and of definitely, Dr. Santos--were the perfect balm in the time of corona confinement.

By Dawn S

Jun 13, 2020

I truly enjoyed this course I would take it again if I could. Professor Santos was a great professor. Several of terms that I have learned from class have stayed with me. The rewirements have especially stayed with me and I plan to work on implementing daily exercise for the next four weeks because of the health benefits and I want to see if I can use what learned from this class to help me stick with this rewirement. I know there will be challenges but I also know that there will be a great success as well and I believe that I can do it not for the surface reasons that I have learned from this class that are not truly important but for myself and for my growth as a person.

By Krisstyn L

Apr 1, 2021

Dr. Laurie Santos is very engaging, informative, and down-to-earth in her videos. This class teaches you excellent skills to help you improve your life and continue to enjoy each moment while explaining why each tool is important and what we all seek in life that may not be helping us attain our best life. This is a longer course allowing you to fully integrate the principles into your life for future use. I didn't want this course to end. I had heard excellent things about this course a few years ago when it was started at Yale. This course was as excellent as advertised and I will continue to implement what I learned while sharing the information with others. Thank you!!

By Binh L

Apr 29, 2020

The course is well established and very engaging thanks to Prof. Laurie's friendliness and good sense of humour. The scientific contents are just of the right levels, without being too technical; informative, and very interesting as some research findings are completely opposite to what we normally perceive. The rewirements accompanying the lectures are a plus as they can be put into practice directly. In other words, positive effects on well-being can be seen as you are learning. I would highly recommend this course to anyone regardless of how one thinks about their state of well-being. This course could, in any way, bring about improvements to your health and happiness.

By Görel S

Apr 2, 2022

This is a life shaping course, that can help you to adjust how you live your life. I was extremely inspired to learn about all the research based facts on what increases my well being, and what doesn't actually matter. I am 65 years old, have always considered myself a happy person, and yet had some strong a-ha experiences during this course. I am definately going to take this learning along with me on the road ahead. I loved seeing the Yale students interacting and discussing the various topics. Such refreshing youth, coming to grips with the same things that I was learning. I WARMLY recommend this course to anybody who is wanting to increase their quality of life!

By Kerstin

Aug 5, 2018

This is by far the best and most helpful course I've ever completed online, probably even in person. Laurie Santos is an absolute pleasure to watch on camera, something where many other courses, despite being informative, really fall behind. The material is presented in a really interesting and informative way and it set me up with the necessary tools to fall out of a deep hole I wasn't able to get out of. I didn't know why I was unhappy but this course helped me to realise that I was chasing the wrong things, how to find out what I really wanted and reminded me of some tools I can use now and in the future to prevent this from happening. I haven't been happier since.

By Hilla B

Jul 9, 2020

My overall experience of the course is excellent. I have greatly improved my positive psychology knowledge. During this time many people talks about happiness, resilience and positive psychology. Since I learned this course, I’m so passionate to discuss with others & I really proud and happy with my level of knowledge I gained throughout the course. In addition, although we are in a very challenging period, thanks to the knowledge and my practice, my happiness score improved. I had a very important improvement in understanding my purpose and meaning in life. That gives me great strength to overcome this challenging time. Big thanks to all behind this amazing course!!

By Corinne S

Incredible to do this class during COVID-19. It was a helpful tool in dealing with so much uncertainty during this time. This class helped me understand my own triggers for happiness, and they weren't necessarily the things I thought they were. After understanding the science of what makes us TRULY happy, I feel I'm in a surer place to choose what I absolutely know DOES contribute to my wellness and positive state of mind - even under incredibly challenging circumstances. The additional resources (books, readings and Tedtalks) were exceptionally helpful and fascinating. Lori is a great guide in sharing and presenting information. So grateful I discovered this class!!

By Kyriaki S

Apr 19, 2020

Dr. Santos, I am a SEN teacher, speciality in autism. This course has been extraordinarily helpful because I have my health, my family and its very nature a time of life that can be difficult. I am fortunate to be an active yoga devotee. I was prompted to take this course by the difficult mental health stress that I have passed earlier.

I wanted to pass on to you that this course has helped me recenter and to feel that there are things that I can do to enjoy living without perseverating about the negatives. I have read Thanks and Mindfulness for Beginners. And I have become an advocate of the course, sharing details with friends I hope will take it.

Kyriaki

By Yolande M

Jun 8, 2020

The course was structured very well, and I really loved the videos. Laurie presented very warmly and engaging. The resources are great, and I read/ listened to most of it. The course confirmed the elements of well-being which I always suspected to be true of well-being, so I was happy that this is an overal truth in life, even at Yale. I am confident now that I am on the right path, and feel much happier that my gut feelings can be trusted and that I can follow my heart. I can pursue the other things that don't produce well-being necessarily as well, but with a well-being perspective at least. It also made me aware of how to better treat my family and friends.

By Kellie S

Aug 21, 2020

This course has been a life-changer. It helped me understand my self even better and motivated me to reach to form my habits and reach my goals.

Everyone, no matter what career or status they are in their life should consider taking this course.

Professor Laurie Santos is very engaging and clear in her communication, so it's easy to digest and understand the somestimes complex knowledge she's sharing.

I truly believe that I am leading towards that good life and all thanks to this course, for arming me with the knowledge and strategies to keep going and never give up!

Thank you Coursera. Thank you Yale. Thank you Dr. Laurie Santos. So grateful for this free knowledge!

By Belinda N

Jun 18, 2022

I utterly enjoyed this course. The idea of having it done in the sitting room of the lecturer is amazing! The comfortable, warm atmosphere could actually be felt though I was not there. It definitely contributed to a less stressful environment such as a cold impersonal classroom in a school/college/university setup. I felt like I was one with the group of students and many times wished I could literally join in :-) Well done, Prof Santos, I really like your style! And the beautiful group of students who attended, I wish them all the best for future successes and specifically to continue on this road of self-improvement. Thanks again for a wonderful experience!

By MARA L S P

Sep 6, 2020

Hola Laurie! Ha sido gratificante encontrar que detrás de lo que creemos son acciones de sentido común, hay estudios e investigaciones que las respaldan.

Por estar ocupados "viviendo" nuestro día a día, olvidamos objetivos y metas que nos pueden hacer más feliz nuestra existencia y la de los demás.

Para mí ha sido una confrontación y me ha ayudado a parar (ayudada por la cuarentena) y reevaluar mis metas, objetivos y lo que quiero para mí.

Además, lo aprendido me ha ayudado en mi trabajo a impulsar a otras personas, por lo que me siento doblemente agradecida.

Es bueno dedicar tiempo a pensar en lo importante y este curso me ha hablado de ello.

De nuevo, gracias.

By Amy T

Jun 26, 2020

I went into this course not expecting anything and hoping to learn something I could make use of. Last night I completed this course and realised just how much I have learned. This is more than a course for well-being. It is a course that I strongly believe every person should complete. It is informative, clever, witty, enjoyable and lifechanging. Laurie Santos creates the space for her students to think critically, analyse their own existence and understand why we make the decisions we make. I have thoroughly loved every aspect of this course and I will carry my learnings and certificate with me through all the chapters of my life. Best decision I ever made!

By Christi L E

May 20, 2018

Highly recommend this course IF you are willing to dedicate your time to not just learning the material, but to the actual application of it to your own life on a daily basis. In order to achieve the maximum benefit and return for putting forth the effort to obtain a life of happiness . The educational material provided does not just start and end with the course, but will continue for a life time.This is an amazing course and I am so glad I found it extremely engaging, challenging and participated with my entire heart and mind to soak up as much as possible. I am planning on continuing my path of self learning and advancement for the betterment of myself.

By Aida L F

Aug 15, 2020

I SO enjoyed taking this course. I learned so much about how to be happy, the things it takes to intentionally be happy, and the Rewirement challenges are things I will carry over into my life overall.

I was never able to stick to challenges, but this course taught me discipline and determination in sticking with them and from here on out. I am extremely grateful for Professor Laurie Santos, and everyone who made this course possible.

I'm really hoping for a Part 2 of this course, I will definitely recommend this course to family and friends, and good luck to all the students taking this course, it was well worth it and I'll miss it and everyone involved.

By Emesh F

Apr 29, 2020

Absolutely awesome course. Well designed, and well put together to keep us engaged and motivated. I always wanted to attend an IVY league institution, but of course financially, and academically I was not up to par with those dreams even if I was an honors student. Being able to attend "virtually" and complete this course, as well as receiving a certificate of completion at the end, is pretty solid. I learned a great deal and promoted this to many military members I know as well as Friends and Family as I believe they can benefit immensely from this course. Thank you Prof Santos and YALE for allowing us the opportunity to attend and complete this course.