Back to The Science of Well-Being

Learner Reviews & Feedback for The Science of Well-Being by Yale University

In this course you will engage in a series of challenges designed to increase your own happiness and build more productive habits. As preparation for these tasks, Professor Laurie Santos reveals misconceptions about happiness, annoying features of the mind that lead us to think the way we do, and the research that can help us change. You will ultimately be prepared to successfully incorporate a specific wellness activity into your life. THE SCIENCE OF WELL BEING WAS PRODUCED IN PART DUE TO THE GENEROUS FUNDING OF THE DAVID F. SWENSEN FUND FOR INNOVATION IN TEACHING....

EN

May 31, 2019

I absolutely enjoyed and learned a lot about happiness from this course. I will definitely recommend it to my peers, as it gets me to the core from my misconceptions to developing the right practices.

BT

Nov 27, 2019

Loved the practical "rewiring" assignments that helped me with understanding what really makes us happy. Not only this course changed my life perspective but enriched the lives of the people around me

226 - 250 of 3,469 Reviews for The Science of Well-Being

By james c

Content: Wonderful, insightful material, very competently presented.

On communication: the instructor needs to do a careful assessment of her speech habits. They are thoroughly cliched in intonation and words, e.g., the word "like" is used ad nauseaum. A critically-minded professor should not be a mirror of all the cliches, verbal intonations and fill words used in her current social context. Divest yourself, as much as possible, of all contemporary speech habits that detract from clear, concise and effective communication.

By Katarzyna H

This was my first online course like that, I really enjoyed combination of theory and practical rewirements. It made such a huge difference! Even forums, peer review and grading was a nice surprise, as it created this whole community and the feeling that we are all human and struggle sometimes and want to get better. It definitely created a lot of support structure.

I liked the format of the course and videos with some notes. I could do it when doing other things, like cooking, which made it easier to complete the course.

By Christine H

Feb 25, 2020

This course gives you science-based tools to implement in your life. It leads you through chosing one of the tools to work on daily for the last 4 weeks of the class and then you evaluate yourself to see if you have felt any improvement. This is a wonderful course you will carry with you the rest of your life and follow. It offers reality checks of what really makes you happy and you may be surprised at the science behind some of the answers. The lectures are very interesting the readings go more in-depth on the subjects.

By Erin J

Jan 02, 2019

This course has been super enlightening and through the use of actual qualitative studies has shared and shown the effectiveness of some incredibly easy and meaningful techniques to improve one's own well-being. The casual discussion format is easy to follow, and several times I've found myself surprised at the inaccuracies of what I thought I knew about increasing happiness versus what I've learned in this course. Also a great introduction to so many accessible resources to continue on after the course ends! Thank you!

By Barb K

Dec 08, 2019

Thank you so much Laurie for providing this course. As an educator I found the information fascinating. Particularly the information on grades. I have actually used some of the data you showed with students with interesting results.

The course was invaluable. It was a perfect combination of theory and practical information. The data was really informative and it gave me a lot to think about. My top character skill was Love of Learning and I certainly loved this course and the knowledge I gained. Again, thank you.

By Man L C

Apr 22, 2020

I highly recommend—one of the most enjoyable classes I have ever taken. I have forwarded this to many friends. I hope everyone will be blessed by it. Remember, all the things that bring you joy in life are not things but experience and engagement with people and pursue excellence in things you are good at and is aligning your value. Setting your heart right to something truly worth it, be grateful, pray, don't compare, love others, serve others well with your resources, and your inner joy will root in you.

By Alan I

This was an excellent course, and marked my first online college course since graduating from Brandeis twenty-plus years ago! It was a great introduction to the ways in which we can actually work to find authentic happiness, and revealing some of the false notions we've gained over years of societal influence and conditioning. It had very practical applications, and if you put in the work and effort, the results were tangible. It has provided techniques and skills which I intend to utilize in daily life.

By Jessica V H

Short: DO THECOURSE - YOU FEEL THE DIFFERENCES.

That was one of the best decisions I took so far. Learning about the myths of happiness and how to rewire your thoughts and habits to feel significantly better in your daily life is a SUPERPOWER no one should miss to aquire!

The course is really thought out and brings you into action which is a learning experience you really feel in the end - when your life proves you the positive effects of the course! I will recommend it unconditionally to everyone I know.

By Harshit G

Apr 04, 2020

I started this course in January out of complete curiosity that what possibly could a course of 10 weeks long teach us about well-being and all thanks to this lockdown that I was finally able to complete this course today.

This is an outstanding course! Easy to follow, interesting, scientifically backed, and just a joy to participate in. I was able to change into a more positive and productive mindset as taught in this course. I highly recommend it to everyone regardless of your profession or background.

By Sony J

Jul 18, 2019

I wish I had come across this type of a lecture when I was young. Many of the points discussed in the course are now either known or at least intuitive for someone my age, but it's still reassuring to know the there's research that backs up my intuition. Anyone in their late teens or early twenties who're moving up in life must take this course because it'll give them the right perspective early on so that they don't have to learn after making mistakes, rather they can avoid those mistakes altogether.

By Marilyn H G

Jul 04, 2019

I enjoyed this course very much, it did teach me to be more aware of other feelings besides my own. I pay attention to saying hello to strangers and giving them a smile maybe even when I am not feeling it. I started walking again, which is amazing by itself, it has been about 7 years since I did walk each day. I have lost about 20 lbs. so far and will continue striving to stay in shape. Thank you for making me aware of savoring, and friendships and constantly working toward being happy every day!

By Abu B S A

Professor Laurie Santos is one of the most influential, polite, interactive and engaging teachers I've ever come across. They way she has shaped this course is brilliant, the assignments, the videos, the reading materials everything is so informative that one can't resist to write a 5-star review about her and this course. This course has really helped me in improving my personal well-being and as well as has kept me connected with my inner self to learn new things and to explore my own personality.

By Julie A

May 16, 2020

This course, taught by Laurie Santos, provides videos, materials and additional resources to put in place mindfulness of discovering the true happiness we all desire and have within us. Her approach to teaching is honest, as she self reflects on her personal experience, allowing a connection with her students. The course would serve anyone at any age to prioritize their happiness goals using their personal strengths and strategies provided within the course. A great course to take over and over!

By Carrie A S

Jun 04, 2019

I found this online Coursera course by Yale Professor Laurie Santos to be enlightening and engaging. I have learned much from this course that I will use in my daily life. It offers the science behind things that our brains do to stop us from living our best life. It offers practical ways to on how to overcome the obstacles in our minds to be able to put the practices learned during this course in daily use to maintain our well-being. I would recommend it to anyone concerned with their well-being.

By Susan C

May 23, 2020

Dr. Santos, your course was so refreshing and relevant for the stressors of every day but especially now in the middle of this Pandemic. So thought-provoking and challenging that I was talking about it to family and friends! Your stepwise approach, provided research and videos with other scientists really helped me see many ways to stabilize parts of my own life and offer help to others as well. Your work is wonderful and I am so grateful I stepped into it especially now in such a time as this.

By Gregory E

May 14, 2020

I found the course to be really pleasant, informative and I really looked forward to the lectures. I am really happy the course has given me an array of tools to use to be happier. One of the guests pointed out happiness is like a leaky tire you have to keep filling up. I love that analogy and if I feel my tire is starting to deflate a bit I can go to the happiness toolbox and choose from my strengths, gratitude, kindness, connections, sleep, exercise, meditation, etc. to pump the tire back up.

By Regan H

May 12, 2020

Evidence-based research and engaging lecture content, coupled with weekly challenges, made for an exceptional learning experience. Most of the "strategies" shared were things I thought I already knew. But to have those strategies clearly explained and backed by scientific research, it made incorporating them into my daily life easy and exciting! I feel better than I have in a long time and am happy to be thoroughly engaged in the lifelong, ever-changing, dynamic pursuit of happiness and wellbeing.

By Marissa

Nov 26, 2018

Very insightful first half talking about research on well-being and positive psychology. I liked the academic context for this rich subject and learned so much such as how our minds are so bad at estimating what will make us happy. Money, a good grade, a good job, a big house...all those are illusions that don't really make us happy.

My favorite part was the second half which focused on what DOES make us happy - things like being kind, social connection, meditation, exercise, time with loved ones.

By Robert-Jan B

Apr 12, 2020

This course show why so many people are unhappy. They are focussing on all kinds of things that really do not contribute to sustainable happiness. This course helps you discover what actually does help to be more happy and focussed in life. And while the solutions seem easy at first, it is quite hard to set up routines to keep them in place. Fortunately the course also recognises that challenge and takes care of it. I recommend this course to anyone who would like to feel a bit happier in life.

By Kaan A

Nov 27, 2019

I think it's a very benificial lesson for any learners or psychology students. I liked the techniques in this course and it seems we don't really act upon our happiness. We say we want happiness but in order to be that we need to use some technics. For me this course helped me. I tell people around me these techniques. When the first year of my psych. education in Turkey i watched Moralities of everyday life's lessons of Yale, now i a a graduated find another amazing lesson. Thank you so much !

By Andrew B

May 30, 2018

Incredibly informative material and really easy to digest, but you'll only get out of this course what you put in. Merely knowing the information is not enough to change behaviour.

With that said, I did learn that what I thought would make me happiest is almost counter intuitive to what can actually make me more happy.

Highly recommended for anyone who can see benefits in feeling more upbeat, more aware, more energetic and simply happier on a day-to-day basis.

Thanks Laurie for a great course!

By Maya A Y G M

Apr 24, 2019

I am SOOOO FRUSTRATED!! I loved the course. BUT IT KEEPS TELLING ME I HAVE NOT COMPLETED IT WHEN I HAVE SUBMITTED ALL ASSIGNMENTS, DONE MULTIPLE PEER REVIEWS, AND HAVE COMPLETED EVERYTHING I CAN FIND TO COMPLETE. and worst of all, THERE SEEMS TO BE NO HUMAN COMPONENT TO HELP WITH THIS ISSUE. I liked the idea of Coursera, but the fact that one cannot contact a live human for assistance and there is no way to find solutions to my issues makes me never want to take an other course here. GRRRR.

By Nicole C

I loved Laurie! She was very real and relatable. I enjoyed the subject matter. I found many of the surveys and studies extremely interesting. I feel like I've learned over the years that what we think is going to make us happy, especially when we're young...perfect body, marriage, material items...doesn't. I just wish I would've learned those lessons at the same age as the students in this class. I'm on a mission to incorporate many of these rewirements into my life. Better late than never!!!

By Sheryl A

I like the instructor. She has an engaging and positive vibe. There was a couple of occasions where the lectures became a little monotonous, but overall it was interesting and informative. A lot of data and statistics, but I suppose that is to be expected with the "science" aspect. The course was also easy to follow and well-organized. What I found most beneficial were the activities and assignments. Although simple concepts, it changed my entire outlook once I began doing the work.

By Elizabeth L

Professor Santos is a talented educator who brought the science to life in an accessible format in this incredible life changing course. The professor's lectures were engaging, fun and the perfect length. I appreciated her discussions and humor throughout. Also, the added use of the rewi app helped set my new habits of happiness. Thank you for offering this course and helping make the world a better, happier place. This should be a required course for all students freshman year! Kudos Yale!