Back to The Science of Well-Being

Learner Reviews & Feedback for The Science of Well-Being by Yale University

In this course you will engage in a series of challenges designed to increase your own happiness and build more productive habits. As preparation for these tasks, Professor Laurie Santos reveals misconceptions about happiness, annoying features of the mind that lead us to think the way we do, and the research that can help us change. You will ultimately be prepared to successfully incorporate a specific wellness activity into your life. THE SCIENCE OF WELL BEING WAS PRODUCED IN PART DUE TO THE GENEROUS FUNDING OF THE DAVID F. SWENSEN FUND FOR INNOVATION IN TEACHING....

FB

Jun 15, 2020

Recomendable para todo el mundo! Creo que toca temas que son básicos, pero no tenemos claro como impactan en nuestra felicidad. Además el curso da estrategias fáciles para aplicarlas a la vida diaria.

BT

Nov 27, 2019

Loved the practical "rewiring" assignments that helped me with understanding what really makes us happy. Not only this course changed my life perspective but enriched the lives of the people around me

51 - 75 of 7,358 Reviews for The Science of Well-Being

By Eric J

Jul 07, 2020

Information is mostly repetitive like the graphs and the data for example. Another thing is that the graphs are way too much and should be toned down and it is not interesting at all along with adding politics into the well being which makes no sense in my opinion respectively. Overall I give this course a 2 out of 5 and it could have been better with less information that is repetitive.

By Laura C

Mar 27, 2020

PLEASE STOP ASKING ME IF I WANT TO BUY THE CERTIFICATE.

I'm only in part 1 of this course and it's enough to make me drop it.

I'm only choosing 2 stars now bc it won't let me proceed without picking an amount. I'll know more at the end how it really goes.

By Timothy S

Apr 13, 2020

The course seems to plod along with a fair amount of self-aggrandizing and Yale-aggrandizing but none of the content is very weighty or coherent. The teacher uses no materials or exhibition tools to presents the course content.

By Tyson K

Nov 05, 2019

Little bit fluffy, i wouldnt call alot of this psychology science. more theory than anything.

By shilpa

May 29, 2019

Went too fast and did not find engaging

By Angela J

Apr 24, 2020

Admin: This review is not intended to be viewed by community. I was unable to find an alternative place, my apologizes.

Being a Trainer myself, it is difficult to watch the content expert stare at and read her PowerPoint. Online learning or in the classroom eye contact is essential to connection. There is low interaction/exercises for the students; merely recapping her references and findings, this leaves little chance for the student to have true experience in learning and implement what they have learned in their lives. The course is on The Science of Wellness. It makes me unhappy to think about taking time to do it. She is wonderful person I am sure of this. In my early years I took a class on how adults learn. I feel something like this would be very beneficial to any educator and their students.

By Alejandra

Apr 16, 2020

This is a class recorded, that is not online learning and the topic of this course demands more energy from the instructor. I've had better learning experiences regarding this theme.

By Azelma T

Jun 08, 2020

Less happy at the end than I was at the start. Learned absolutely nothing - very very basic stuff, and not sure the lecturer understands what "half the battle" means.

By Zander P

the course just added fancy words to information I already knew, the course didn’t challenge or surprise me and therefore receives one star

By CMurt

Jan 11, 2020

none of this advice applies for people with schizophrenia

By Anamika S

Mar 23, 2020

Firstly, Laurie Santos kept us all engaging and enthralled throughout the whole course. I just loved her! Secondly i have never enjoyed peer interaction about the course and the peer viewing sessions were one of my favorite things! I have started to look at happiness through a different pair of lens and will continue to debate with my mind about the misconceptions and miswantings we all crave. This course is such a subtle and nice course where you can just listen to all the studies and the statistics just shocked me. My whole life no one has taught me the things we all are satisfied or content with. I learnt so much about HEDONIC ADAPTATION(which is my fav part) and lots of things which are eye-openers. I discussed about these psychological aspects with my friends and family and they loved the concepts as well! Thank you YALE! Thank you Ms. Santos! It was such a pleasure doing this course and knowing you. I have recommended to my friends and they will join in no time!

By Catharine H

Apr 19, 2020

Incredible professor that really knows how to communicate well her thoughts and data to people with every kind of level of education, very eloquent, well spoken and well read. Great information about how to increase your overall happiness and well-being (many of my conceptions of what would make me happy were actually proven to be false). Very grateful for these classes, it helped a lot in my day to day routine: I was able to chance some habits to healthier ones and by the end of the course I definitely felt an improvement in my well-being as a whole, using the techniques teached in the classes (such as how to use my signature strengths and how to work in jobs that require me being challenged yet also being something manageable, not causing me to be anxious or feeling incompetent). It really helps you career wise, and also in your personal life, improving your social connections and giving actual strategies to improve your happiness in a very doable way.

By Deborah N

Thank you so much, Dr. Laurie Santos! You are a teacher that leads by example! Thank you for your generosity and kindness in giving this experience of learning away to the world as a gift! And what is the subject? Happiness! You have filled the world with joy! You have made my first online college class interesting and manageable. From a teacher to a teacher, you even made me look forward to my homework! You challenged my thinking and supported your findings with science. The ten weeks of work were meaningful and well supported! I often found myself in flow looking at the resources you provided. My take-aways are my notebook, activity log and membership in the global Happiness Lab. From the bottom of my heart, thank you for this opportunity!

By Aditi K

Jun 18, 2020

this is the best course i have ever studied. course has provided with better lifestyle skills, rewirement. the professor is very engaging. the video are made so perfectly, it feels like one is present in real before her. the reading material is provided with all notes ,books recommendation, you tube video links. assignment are designed is very interested manner. most appreciable are the rewirement that are given and to keep track of these tracking PDF is provided. the best is the way professor Santos has spoken in. if you are reading my review and is thinking of opting is course definitely go for it. this course has changed my lifestyle, way of doing stuffs, my thinking, and at the great level my happiness has increased.

By Carolline D

Jun 02, 2020

I am grateful for the opportunity to take this class for free. It not only has an abundance of resources throughout each week, but you can print the material, do the homework, and learn tremendously. The lectures of the course are reassuring that happiness is built from kindness, gratitude, social connection, savoring, exercise, sleep and meditation. The resources (TedTalks, books, articles, etc.) are fascinating and they provide justification and knowledge to the many hypotheses and theories discussed during class. I feel happier and have learned that this feeling can be compounded when focusing on the right things. I would highly recommend this course to my friends and family. Thank you!!

By Melinda S

Jun 18, 2020

The Science of Well-Being course proved particularly helpful to me during the early months of the pandemic. While I am an older student, I learned some valuable tools to incorporate in to my life. For my rewirement challenge, I chose daily meditation. I waited awhile to review this course because I wanted to see if the changes I made would "stick." I am happy to report that meditation has become a necessary part of my daily life and I have continued to make progress.

Totally unrelated to the course content, I am very curious where the chair that Ms. Santos sits in during her videos is from. I really don't expect an response to this but I really like that chair. 😊

By Gail M

Jun 18, 2020

The course presented scientific evidence in a fun, friendly, and easy to follow manner. It was not too heavy of a committment, making it easier to keep up. I enjoyed doing the rewirements, as it gave a focus to what we were learning and served as a reminder to help behavioral change. The final four assignment came during a very stressful and emotional time, which has concluded happily, so this could have impacted my scores. However, I believe that I have useful tools and knowledge to move forward with a better sense of overall well being and a better understanding of how others find happiness.

By Srikar C

Mar 28, 2020

Science of Well Being Course Offered by Yale and Dr. Laurie Santos is a Course that I highly recommend to anyone seeking to improve their happiness and well-being. The points suggested in the course for improving our happiness and Well being is backed by Research and Science. It has Greatly helped me identify areas where I can focus more and improve my happiness. It also helped me understand why we as humans do things (unintentionally) that are actually counter productive to our well-being and Happiness.

By Abu B S A

Professor Laurie Santos is one of the most influential, polite, interactive and engaging teachers I've ever come across. They way she has shaped this course is brilliant, the assignments, the videos, the reading materials everything is so informative that one can't resist to write a 5-star review about her and this course. This course has really helped me in improving my personal well-being and as well as has kept me connected with my inner self to learn new things and to explore my own personality.

By Julie A

May 16, 2020

This course, taught by Laurie Santos, provides videos, materials and additional resources to put in place mindfulness of discovering the true happiness we all desire and have within us. Her approach to teaching is honest, as she self reflects on her personal experience, allowing a connection with her students. The course would serve anyone at any age to prioritize their happiness goals using their personal strengths and strategies provided within the course. A great course to take over and over!

By Susan C

May 23, 2020

Dr. Santos, your course was so refreshing and relevant for the stressors of every day but especially now in the middle of this Pandemic. So thought-provoking and challenging that I was talking about it to family and friends! Your stepwise approach, provided research and videos with other scientists really helped me see many ways to stabilize parts of my own life and offer help to others as well. Your work is wonderful and I am so grateful I stepped into it especially now in such a time as this.

By Kevin F M

Mar 26, 2020

It is well worth the time to take this course. I learned a lot about myself - my signature strengths - and the sometimes simple things we can do to improve our overall well-being. Knowing there is scientific support is particularly useful, as this isn't just someone's suggestions. It will take some commitment to incorporate some of the rewirements into everyday life, but that's the point: to follow them will hopefully contribute to a more contented outlook and an overall improvement in well-being.

By Jennifer G

Apr 06, 2020

Excellent course with lots of strategies and 'rewirements' to enable the student to experience well-being and gratitude in their life. This was an especially great course to take during the coronavirus pandemic crisis as it helped me to use some of the 'rewirements' to cope with the uncertainty and anxiety associated with this. Thank you to Dr. Santos for sharing her advice and suggestions in a personal online forum for those of us in the course. This was very helpful. Thank you!!

By Christina B

Mar 12, 2020

Cannot recommend this course highly enough! While it will force you to really evaluate yourself and get out of your comfort zone, you are so much better off for doing so. Objectively, I doubled my happiness in 10 weeks, which made dealing with everyday life so much easier.

You have nothing to lose by trying this class and its exercises out. At most, you're out a little bit of time, but if (and likely when) it works for you, you gain new perspective on yourself and the world around you.