Back to The Science of Well-Being

Learner Reviews & Feedback for The Science of Well-Being by Yale University

In this course you will engage in a series of challenges designed to increase your own happiness and build more productive habits. As preparation for these tasks, Professor Laurie Santos reveals misconceptions about happiness, annoying features of the mind that lead us to think the way we do, and the research that can help us change. You will ultimately be prepared to successfully incorporate a specific wellness activity into your life. THE SCIENCE OF WELL BEING WAS PRODUCED IN PART DUE TO THE GENEROUS FUNDING OF THE DAVID F. SWENSEN FUND FOR INNOVATION IN TEACHING....

EN

May 31, 2019

I absolutely enjoyed and learned a lot about happiness from this course. I will definitely recommend it to my peers, as it gets me to the core from my misconceptions to developing the right practices.

BT

Nov 27, 2019

Loved the practical "rewiring" assignments that helped me with understanding what really makes us happy. Not only this course changed my life perspective but enriched the lives of the people around me

26 - 50 of 3,471 Reviews for The Science of Well-Being

By Michelle M

Apr 10, 2020

This course has a very confusing layout! The "rewirements" are sometimes presented before the course material is presented, so when you try to do them, they reference things you haven't learned yet. Also, you are often asked to skip forward to videos for future weeks, but so much time at the beginning of those videos is spent on recap (again, recap of things you haven't learned yet!) that it's hard to weed through to get to whatever is supposed to be relevant. There are good ideas here for sure, and good science, but seems like they are less confusingly and more entertainingly presented in TED talks that I've watched. I have only done two weeks of this class, but I'm not going to finish for these reasons.

By Christine C

Mar 30, 2020

I'm sorry, I couldn't get past the GI Joe Fallacy. Knowing is half the battle. That is the point, knowing is not enough, and it seems this professor doesn't respect this message from the show. I will unsubscribe, as I'm now doubtful this course is worth my time.

By laurence c

May 18, 2019

This course is fascinating. It helps to think differently and to make great changes in my life. Laurie Santos, the teacher is very nice and encouraging. I'm almost sad that it's finished! Fortunately, no I can practise and improve my daily hapiness.

Thank you very much for this tremendous work. thank you for sharing on Coursera.

Laurence.

By Steve S

Apr 20, 2019

A quality course everyone should take, especially after you've started your career or overloaded with school. It's like hitting the refresh button when living an over scheduled life hour-by-hour.

By Suzanne m

May 21, 2019

Best college course I ever took and I plan to review the lectures and materials as needed.

By Melissa M G P

Mar 30, 2020

Perfect way to spend a stressful COVID quarantine!

By Jacob M J R

Apr 15, 2020

I don't think I like it when a professor says....'so this is like, uncool'

also her G.I. Joe Fallacy isn't really a fallacy.

Certainly there likely to be lots of people who will appreciate her casual approach but I was looking for something more academic and or scholarly.

Apr 29, 2020

Honestly, everything presented seemed painfully obvious to me. I confess to being more than a little shocked that the results of many of the studies are presented as if they are a new revelation and not something humans have already known for millennia. Virtually all philosophers/religions have taught the same truths and I think my grandparents (who lived through WWI, the depression, and WWII) would be shocked to know that people alive now have to be these basic truths about happiness.

By Amey C

Mar 18, 2020

Great course! I definitely will carry the learnings from this course in my daily life, and am looking forward to continuing with the rewirements.

Definitely recommend this to everyone who wants to learn (or re-learn) to be happy.

By Angela M

Mar 26, 2020

Fantastic course. What a gift you give the world!

By Warren C

Apr 16, 2018

A good practical review of some of the most interesting findings in positive psychology. Largely delivers well on what it promises. However, some of the studies covered are over-interpreted. For example, most studies in psychology suggest general trends across a group of people rather than sure-fire solutions that will work for everyone, but I would say that the latter claim is implied pretty often in this course. Also, the material related to Brian Wansink's research should be omitted, because his research has been called into serious question lately.

By Erika K

Feb 23, 2019

Very good class. I do wish it was a bit more intellectually challenging. I'm not sure if it was made palatable for the general public or if this is the level of instruction at Yale.

By Aswani R S

May 13, 2020

When I started this course, my PERMA score was at 8.3 and I always consider myself as a very happy and contented person. I absolutely loved this course- the techniques, the strategies for well being. Thank you so much for this beautiful course. You deserve a five star :)

But I feel that a bunch of losers are taking this program just pull other happy people down. I had submitted two assignments for my peer reviews and they were genuine attempts at creating a happy- well meaning place for myself. However, the peer review tool has been used without grace/ or empathy/ or compassion and I had been consistently given "zero" points, thereby completely discounting my attempt at creating my happy space. How can someone learning to be happy do that to another person, also learning to be happy? I do not understand that- really!

And mind it- it is a very subjective topic. There is no right or wrong answers. There should never be also.

So, please stop giving your happiness at other unhappy people's hands. I hope this course will understand such un-empathetic behaviors and check it.

By CMurt

Jan 11, 2020

none of this advice applies for people with schizophrenia

By Sarah J A

Mar 28, 2020

This was an exceptionally personal course for me. It revealed areas in which I need improvement and recognized strengths which were a positive influence in my decision making process. I became aware of the Negative Nudges which caused me to have bad feelings about my ability to achieve or to fit into a group.

Professor Santos was very knowledgeable and involved with her class, as evidenced by looking at the students and friendly interaction during the question and answer sessions. She was believable and her attitude helped me to make the necessary mind changes which resulted in my test scores rising.

I had a bit of difficulty in understanding her speaking "student language" versus the standard "lecture" style. By the end of the class I was comfortable with her happy, giving style. However, to get the best out of the class, I printed all the lectures and highlighted important points. This was very helpful in reviewing the chapter, and suggested readings.

With a double Major in Music Performance and Psychology, I would love to Mentor this class, as we had very little interaction with mentors (some questions have been waiting to be answered for over 2 years. My final score was 100 and I am committed to helping others by posting on the forum and grading 350 + tests. I have much to learn and will continue with WOOP

Thank you for offering this excellent class. Sarah J. Anthony

By Anita R

Jan 21, 2020

Great course! Very practical tools based on scientific research. The professor was clear and had fun slides.

One distracting and slightly annoying part of the class was the number of times the professor said "Yale" in every single lecture. I think I counted 6 times in one lecture. I can't remember a single professor from my Columbia courses concerned about our self-esteem so much to remind us every day that we were at Columbia. Plus, with this being a class about social comparison, constantly remind Coursera students that they're not at Yale isn't exactly effective.

Even so - that was a minor thing and I did really enjoy this class. I'd recommend making the app a little easier to track, for example being able to auto-fill items for today that you did yesterday. I meditated every day but after a while, I stopped tracking it in the app because I didn't like having to fill out a new event each time. Also - it asks to connect to an account but I don't want anyone seeing my data except Yale researchers.

By Anamika S

Mar 23, 2020

Firstly, Laurie Santos kept us all engaging and enthralled throughout the whole course. I just loved her! Secondly i have never enjoyed peer interaction about the course and the peer viewing sessions were one of my favorite things! I have started to look at happiness through a different pair of lens and will continue to debate with my mind about the misconceptions and miswantings we all crave. This course is such a subtle and nice course where you can just listen to all the studies and the statistics just shocked me. My whole life no one has taught me the things we all are satisfied or content with. I learnt so much about HEDONIC ADAPTATION(which is my fav part) and lots of things which are eye-openers. I discussed about these psychological aspects with my friends and family and they loved the concepts as well! Thank you YALE! Thank you Ms. Santos! It was such a pleasure doing this course and knowing you. I have recommended to my friends and they will join in no time!

By Catharine H

Apr 19, 2020

Incredible professor that really knows how to communicate well her thoughts and data to people with every kind of level of education, very eloquent, well spoken and well read. Great information about how to increase your overall happiness and well-being (many of my conceptions of what would make me happy were actually proven to be false). Very grateful for these classes, it helped a lot in my day to day routine: I was able to chance some habits to healthier ones and by the end of the course I definitely felt an improvement in my well-being as a whole, using the techniques teached in the classes (such as how to use my signature strengths and how to work in jobs that require me being challenged yet also being something manageable, not causing me to be anxious or feeling incompetent). It really helps you career wise, and also in your personal life, improving your social connections and giving actual strategies to improve your happiness in a very doable way.

By Deborah N

Thank you so much, Dr. Laurie Santos! You are a teacher that leads by example! Thank you for your generosity and kindness in giving this experience of learning away to the world as a gift! And what is the subject? Happiness! You have filled the world with joy! You have made my first online college class interesting and manageable. From a teacher to a teacher, you even made me look forward to my homework! You challenged my thinking and supported your findings with science. The ten weeks of work were meaningful and well supported! I often found myself in flow looking at the resources you provided. My take-aways are my notebook, activity log and membership in the global Happiness Lab. From the bottom of my heart, thank you for this opportunity!

By Srikar C

Mar 28, 2020

Science of Well Being Course Offered by Yale and Dr. Laurie Santos is a Course that I highly recommend to anyone seeking to improve their happiness and well-being. The points suggested in the course for improving our happiness and Well being is backed by Research and Science. It has Greatly helped me identify areas where I can focus more and improve my happiness. It also helped me understand why we as humans do things (unintentionally) that are actually counter productive to our well-being and Happiness.

By Kevin F M

Mar 26, 2020

It is well worth the time to take this course. I learned a lot about myself - my signature strengths - and the sometimes simple things we can do to improve our overall well-being. Knowing there is scientific support is particularly useful, as this isn't just someone's suggestions. It will take some commitment to incorporate some of the rewirements into everyday life, but that's the point: to follow them will hopefully contribute to a more contented outlook and an overall improvement in well-being.

By Jennifer G

Apr 06, 2020

Excellent course with lots of strategies and 'rewirements' to enable the student to experience well-being and gratitude in their life. This was an especially great course to take during the coronavirus pandemic crisis as it helped me to use some of the 'rewirements' to cope with the uncertainty and anxiety associated with this. Thank you to Dr. Santos for sharing her advice and suggestions in a personal online forum for those of us in the course. This was very helpful. Thank you!!

By Christina B

Mar 12, 2020

Cannot recommend this course highly enough! While it will force you to really evaluate yourself and get out of your comfort zone, you are so much better off for doing so. Objectively, I doubled my happiness in 10 weeks, which made dealing with everyday life so much easier.

You have nothing to lose by trying this class and its exercises out. At most, you're out a little bit of time, but if (and likely when) it works for you, you gain new perspective on yourself and the world around you.

By Anthony H

Oct 21, 2019

If we stop and and truly think, our minds are leading us astray. Our Well -Being is a science. By adopting and living these simple science backed habits the mind can't play those tricks anymore and so it begins to deal with reality and therefore your true happiness. The Science of Well-Being teaches us that Gratitude, Kindess, Meditation , Exercise and Sleep play such a critical role in our happiness and day to day lives. Fantastic course, cannot recommend this to everyone enough.