Back to The Science of Well-Being

Learner Reviews & Feedback for The Science of Well-Being by Yale University

In this course you will engage in a series of challenges designed to increase your own happiness and build more productive habits. As preparation for these tasks, Professor Laurie Santos reveals misconceptions about happiness, annoying features of the mind that lead us to think the way we do, and the research that can help us change. You will ultimately be prepared to successfully incorporate a specific wellness activity into your life. THE SCIENCE OF WELL BEING WAS PRODUCED IN PART DUE TO THE GENEROUS FUNDING OF THE DAVID F. SWENSEN FUND FOR INNOVATION IN TEACHING....

MV

Jan 31, 2019

This is an outstanding course! I was able to change into a more positive and productive mindset as taught in this course. I highly recommend it to everyone regardless of your profession or background.

BT

Nov 27, 2019

Loved the practical "rewiring" assignments that helped me with understanding what really makes us happy. Not only this course changed my life perspective but enriched the lives of the people around me

101 - 125 of 1,310 Reviews for The Science of Well-Being

By Carrie A S

Jun 04, 2019

I found this online Coursera course by Yale Professor Laurie Santos to be enlightening and engaging. I have learned much from this course that I will use in my daily life. It offers the science behind things that our brains do to stop us from living our best life. It offers practical ways to on how to overcome the obstacles in our minds to be able to put the practices learned during this course in daily use to maintain our well-being. I would recommend it to anyone concerned with their well-being.

By MARISSA K O

Nov 26, 2018

Very insightful first half talking about research on well-being and positive psychology. I liked the academic context for this rich subject and learned so much such as how our minds are so bad at estimating what will make us happy. Money, a good grade, a good job, a big house...all those are illusions that don't really make us happy.

My favorite part was the second half which focused on what DOES make us happy - things like being kind, social connection, meditation, exercise, time with loved ones.

By Kaan A

Nov 27, 2019

I think it's a very benificial lesson for any learners or psychology students. I liked the techniques in this course and it seems we don't really act upon our happiness. We say we want happiness but in order to be that we need to use some technics. For me this course helped me. I tell people around me these techniques. When the first year of my psych. education in Turkey i watched Moralities of everyday life's lessons of Yale, now i a a graduated find another amazing lesson. Thank you so much !

By Andrew B

May 30, 2018

Incredibly informative material and really easy to digest, but you'll only get out of this course what you put in. Merely knowing the information is not enough to change behaviour.

With that said, I did learn that what I thought would make me happiest is almost counter intuitive to what can actually make me more happy.

Highly recommended for anyone who can see benefits in feeling more upbeat, more aware, more energetic and simply happier on a day-to-day basis.

Thanks Laurie for a great course!

By Maya A Y G M

Apr 24, 2019

I am SOOOO FRUSTRATED!! I loved the course. BUT IT KEEPS TELLING ME I HAVE NOT COMPLETED IT WHEN I HAVE SUBMITTED ALL ASSIGNMENTS, DONE MULTIPLE PEER REVIEWS, AND HAVE COMPLETED EVERYTHING I CAN FIND TO COMPLETE. and worst of all, THERE SEEMS TO BE NO HUMAN COMPONENT TO HELP WITH THIS ISSUE. I liked the idea of Coursera, but the fact that one cannot contact a live human for assistance and there is no way to find solutions to my issues makes me never want to take an other course here. GRRRR.

By Mariana F d M

Jun 06, 2018

It was a wonderful experience to be able to have access to such a high-standard education what was accompanied by a high quality and engaging professor. It is a light course to watch but at the same time a eye-opening one giving you lots of insights of happiness that we tend to not recognize or misunderstand amid this society we are part of. Despite the lightness of the classes, the activities require some effort and they are indeed really important for you to get the most of this course.

By Laura C L

Oct 17, 2019

El curso es excelente, está muy bien planteado, la profesora tiene una gran habilidad para exponer de forma sintética todos los contenidos científicos, se evidencia la revisión de las investigaciones y el dominio de los temas expuestos. Los videos son interesantes y completos. La articulación semanal con las actividades prácticas y el reto final hacen que el curso sea fácil de incorporar a la vida diaria. Me encantó, me sirvió mucho y espero que se animen a realizarlo miles de personas.

By Rachel H

Jun 17, 2018

This is a great course that will help rewire your brain through useful tips. The extended course has better prompts and convenient video reminders which help the adult learn maintain social involvement and motivation needed to complete the course. Dr. Santos delivers relevant lectures with great visual examples and beneficial interviews with guest speakers. The supplementary reading and videos will provide you with a greater understanding of this course . I highly recommend this course.

By Donna E

Sep 09, 2019

So far, this course has been informational, enlightening and personally helpful. I have used the content (research, activities, and references) both in my personal life (with goal setting, re-framing, and in teaching clients various techniques to better enhance their lives).

It is current, well-paced and extremely practical. Can't thank you enough.

Challenge has been to block time out to fully immerse and absorb the content...work and life does pose a challenge. WOOP is coming!

By Anthony H

Oct 21, 2019

If we stop and and truly think, our minds are leading us astray. Our Well -Being is a science. By adopting and living these simple science backed habits the mind can't play those tricks anymore and so it begins to deal with reality and therefore your true happiness. The Science of Well-Being teaches us that Gratitude, Kindess, Meditation , Exercise and Sleep play such a critical role in our happiness and day to day lives. Fantastic course, cannot recommend this to everyone enough.

By Cristina A

Nov 25, 2018

I really really enjoyed and loved this course. I devoured (can you even say that?!) the lessons, i couldn't get enough. Super interesting material and insights. It made me realize that was i was already doing on my own - the gratitude, the exercise- had a scientific point. I learned other curious tools like the savoring one. With the tests i got to understand my character strenghts and also how to use them.

Thank you very much for having done this course!

Cristina from Italy :)

By Carl P N

Mar 22, 2019

It is quite simple:

This is more important than anything else I have ever learned at school... Ok, together with learning how to read and count.

Psychology is still largely missing from our educational system, even though it desribes exactly what we are and how we function. So I don't understand why we don't learn this at school: It is more important than economics.

This course should be given in the last grade of each highschool.

Keep up the good work professor!

Carl Philip

By Dr L S

Dec 08, 2019

It does not look like it, but this is a seriously challenging course. To benefit from it, you must be open to change. As the course will show, your first instinct will be to disagree strongly with what is being presented. But that is "instinct", not science. Once you have accepted the science, the core challenge is to come up with own plan to overcome your own bias in order to adopt one or more good habit.

It is difficult. It is hard. It is uncomfortable. It is worth it.

By Bethany M

Jun 10, 2019

I loved this course! I looked forward to the videos and setting and accomplishing goals each week. I feel like I look at things from a different perspective than before. I now have the knowledge that there are things that will not make me happy long term so they really aren’t worth my time, effort or money. I have learned that I can be happy with what I have and have a better idea of the things I should strive for to help my mental wellness and overall happiness.

By Yann A

Jan 15, 2020

Thanks a lot for this course.

First part is perfect: videos always provide great information and last no more than the time needed to transmit this information. They are pleasant to watch and put in a postive mood. Books references to go into deeper details are perfect, and interviews of other professors than Laurie are great.

2nd part - rewirement challenge makes sure you actually try and put what you've learn into practice... and it works !

Great job !

By Albin L

Sep 11, 2019

This course has the potential for many insightful lessons and the tools for practical, very rewarding and significant personal growth, well-being and happiness. It's possible to take a casual and superficial view of the course material, which is not intellectually complex. But that approach would likely not only result in limited understanding of the science of well-being and happiness, but a missed opportunity for a positive change in one's life.

By Elisa W

Jul 10, 2018

This class is incredible. I’m so grateful for the opportunity to take it. Professor Santos and the lectures are so engaging and they alone made me so happy, my happiness scores raised before I even practiced the rewirements. Everything is well-planned, interesting and easy to follow. I learned a lot about myself, gained a healthier perspective and tools for happiness that will last a lifetime. Great and important work – everyone TAKE THIS COURSE!

By Josephine W

Aug 06, 2019

I am quite a bit older than most of the college students and have learned most of what is taught here through experience and hard knocks. The students are lucky that this has now been researched and they can learn this earlier in life to live a better life. So glad to see this information shared with the world. I sound like an old fogey but in my day there was nothing like this and no opportunities to learn this stuff like this. Excellent!

By Aditya h

May 01, 2018

Great course! Pinpoints to the true facets of happiness by emphasizing on experiences rather than on things. The rewirement exercises are super helpful. Research oriented guide to happiness as each module is presented with the results of experiments conducted. WooP - wish, Outcome, Obstacle, Plan is the way to make changes in the current behavior. Thank you Yale for offering this course. This my 170th MooC and the best one so far !

By Krystal W

Jun 29, 2019

I found this course to be vey insightful and it also made me understand why I thought I wasn’t happy when it was really miswanting the right things. I have learnt from this course strategies to increase my happiness and that with hard work it will become easier for these strategies to become a more regular technique used in my day to day life. I would recommend this course to anyone who is wanting to have more positivity in their life.

By Shawn A

Aug 23, 2019

This course was like awakening a GIANT. I am now a different human with superpowers and I have been UNLEASHED. Thank you.

This completely aligns with my passion and purpose in life. I am professionally a Life Coach and have been that for many years. I have changed thousands of lives and this course has now given me a new set of tools from which to guide my clients, friends, students and family. Oh, so much FUN ahead.

Game on, World!!

By Bernie

Feb 06, 2020

This course allowed me to look into my soul and evaluate what I really needed to be happy and what I found out was that all I really needed was to stop comparing myself to others. I come from a family that showed little love and was taught from day 1 that "Little Girls were meant to be seen not heard." I realize now that this is me and I need to love me and love my life, it doesn't matter what other people think. Thank you.

By Emily K

Jun 13, 2019

I really appreciated the opportunity to better understand the research behind what actually makes us happier, and what we think will make us happier but doesn't. So many of the lecture themes pop up in my head now day to day and prompt me to make different decisions than I was making before the course. Many thanks to Professor Santos for creating this course and sharing these strategies for well-being with more of the world!

By moreux

Mar 08, 2019

Amazing lessons to make your life a better life, yourself a better colleague, friend, spouse, well a better human. What is the most enjoyable is the mix of a lot of detailed studies by the best professors on the Positive psychology and practical daily routines to start implementing from day 1.

Do not hesitate a single second to get involved with Laurie Santos and all the YAle students who have followed these lessons.

Nicolas